£10 DWP XP

reg

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Back in my School days the 'little shop' just outside the gates used to break down cigarette packets and sell 'a single and a match' for 3d.

Never quite sure what you'd get but they were normally Park Drive 'Blue' or Players No10. (Players No6 were more expensive)

I think a pack of 10 "No10" was around 2/- (10p)

A quick google suggest that by 1968 a pack of 20 "No10" was 3/2 (16p)

2d for a Players Weights, no match but plenty of Boy Scouts around.

56 minutes ago, Slim said:

2d for a Players Weights, no match but plenty of Boy Scouts around.

Yes! I remember my dad used to regularly send me to the corner shop to buy "Ten Players Weights" when I was about seven. No-one saw any problems with that at the time! 

After much thought and deliberation, I decided to put my £10 as a deposit on a £1 miilion pound house and bought 15 entries in the latest draw for a Lake District House advertised on TV. 

(Not mentioned the name as it would probably get the post banned!!)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Yes! I remember my dad used to regularly send me to the corner shop to buy "Ten Players Weights" when I was about seven. No-one saw any problems with that at the time! 

My mum used to send me for 10 "Turf"Then she changed to Woodbines, and then Park Drive before tips were in wide use.

She died of Emphasemia in her early sixties.

2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

After much thought and deliberation, I decided to put my £10 as a deposit on a £1 miilion pound house and bought 15 entries in the latest draw for a Lake District House advertised on TV. 

(Not mentioned the name as it would probably get the post banned!!)

That sounds omazing, woof woof.

• Haha 1

On 06/12/2022 at 09:28, pearley said:

If you receive your state pension monthly then the £10 is paid into your bank separately. If you receive it weekly then it's added to that weeks payment so many people don't realise they have it.

Ty, explains the anomoly

8 hours ago, PeterScott said:

P1010008.JPG.df0023be2a067cdf398ef8a0d19d58ab.JPG

First family car - four gallons of petrol for a quid ... cars then went further on the Good Old Imperial Gallon than they do on these newfangled litres ...

My car probably goes further on one litre than that Dagenham Dustbin could manage on one gallon.

That's cruising at 70mph. 

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

My car probably goes further on one litre than that Dagenham Dustbin could manage on one gallon.

That's cruising at 70mph. 

27 mpg if I recall correctly. Mind you, 70 mph was pushing it. Speedo went up to 90 with the needle at around 4 to 5 o'clock. I once had mine up to ???? with the needle pointing straight down to 6 o'clock. A very steep hill somewhere in France. No claim as to actual speed

12 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

My mum used to send me for 10 "Turf"Then she changed to Woodbines, and then Park Drive before tips were in wide use.

She died of Emphasemia in her early sixties.

Never heard of "Turf" apparently they were German.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/kcawte2790/turf-cigarettes/

I remember Woodbine though they were pretty strong, suprised they are still available but at a price. One site recomends that "This brand of cigarette would not be recommended for someone who is new to smoking."

Edited by reg

On 06/12/2022 at 06:21, rusty69 said:

At least one person on here doesn't even seem to know what the 'free money'  landing in their bank account is for.

Poor boomers!

Twas i, Just £10 no indication what it was, could have been anything, pity thy cant just tag it when they send it to you, just like the winter fuel allowance,

On 06/12/2022 at 14:09, Alan de Enfield said:

Back in my School days the 'little shop' just outside the gates used to break down cigarette packets and sell 'a single and a match' for 3d.

Never quite sure what you'd get but they were normally Park Drive 'Blue' or Players No10. (Players No6 were more expensive)

I think a pack of 10 "No10" was around 2/- (10p)

A quick google suggest that by 1968 a pack of 20 "No10" was 3/2 (16p)

I thought they all did that 1963 ish for me

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

was i, Just £10 no indication what it was, could have been anything, pity thy cant just tag it when they send it to you, just like the winter fuel allowance,

Mine appeared In the Bank statement labelled DWPXB.  Self evidently that is Department for Writing with Pencils, eXploding Batteries.  Can't  see how anyone could miss that.

N

59 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Mine appeared In the Bank statement labelled DWPXB.  Self evidently that is Department for Writing with Pencils, eXploding Batteries.  Can't  see how anyone could miss that.

N

This one is more understandable DWP WFP

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Twas i, Just £10 no indication what it was, could have been anything, pity thy cant just tag it when they send it to you, just like the winter fuel allowance,

I thought they all did that 1963 ish for me

It was the winter fuel allowance I was referring to,and someone else. 

On 06/12/2022 at 19:37, Dav and Pen said:

It was a Christmas present from that nice Gordon Brown <<

Ted Heath. 

Gordon Brown gave us much more valuable stuff. 

On 07/12/2022 at 21:27, sueb said:

Those that don't need their £10 could give it to the homeless.

We support our local homeless help centre -- I'll not boast about to what extent, but two Ted's Tenners wouldn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2022 at 09:28, pearley said:

If you receive your state pension monthly then the £10 is paid into your bank separately. If you receive it weekly then it's added to that weeks payment so many people don't realise they have it.

True, I checked and I got £10 extra this week 

Bad news on the energy payment for folks who thought they would get extra £100 for being oil heating, and not gas, it's paid via your electricity supplier!

Late January 2023

Edited by LadyG

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

Bad news on the energy payment for folks who thought they would get extra £100 for being oil heating, and not gas, it's paid via your electricity supplier!

Indeed and worse, politicians persist in using the term "off grid" to mean "a house or park home with no piped Natural Gas supply". 

So the several thousand truly off grid households in boats, motorhomes etc generating their own electricity are being ignored and can spin in the wind.

Its a hard life being independent, innit?

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Indeed and worse, politicians persist in using the term "off grid" to mean "a house or park home with no piped Natural Gas supply". 

So the several thousand truly off grid households in boats, motorhomes etc generating their own electricity are being ignored and can spin in the wind.

Its a hard life being independent, innit?

Our choice, we take advantage of all the rest that the landies don't get.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Our choice, we take advantage of all the rest that the landies don't get.

I have absolutely no qualms about applying for everything available since the government defaulted on its promise to keep the State Pension  linked to inflation:  the last increase was 3%.

We all know politician promises are ephemeral, and of course all MPs get massive pensions without having to contribute for forty years .

Edited by LadyG

38 minutes ago, LadyG said:

the government defaulted on its promise to keep the State Pension  linked to inflation:  the last increase was 3%.

Don't fret, it's estimated that this pension will shoot up by a massive 10% next April.