Air fryer for the boat?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

No, they are still rubbish. We just suffer air fried chips made from spuds. Funnily enough we were talking chips int pub last night and one of our group is still allowed a proper chip pan full of lard the spawny sod. I, like others am not allowed such niceties very often 😒 I dream of being allowed a nice greasy chip pan :( However, something you will never see in our house is any form of " Spread " its butter every time and unadulterated milk for me from the farm dispenser 200 yards away PROPER milk in proper glass bottles :)

Years ago I heeded the 'experts' advice and went the unsaturated fat route, now it appears the 'experts' got it wrong and saturated far is now ok, salt got the blame for the damage caused by sugar and the reccommended    high carb diet is now implicated in all sorts of illnesses. So it's OK for butter, cheese, cream, eggs, bacon, lard, dripping etc etc -

unless they've got it wrong again?!

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

You must be looking at a much bigger air fryer than mine, then...

It's not the size of a gadget it's the number of them

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, nb Innisfree said:

All our cupboards are occupied

So were ours, but I swapped out the bread machine for the air fryer. Having had a bit of a craze for home baking a few years ago, I hadn’t used the bread machine for a couple of years so out it went. By contrast we use the air fryer nearly every day.

Tefal Quick Cup - Coffee machine - Sodastream - Karcher Window Vac + batteries & charger - cordless whisk - kettle - faraday cage car key box - etc etc etc etc etc.

Aarrgh!

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

So were ours, but I swapped out the bread machine for the air fryer. Having had a bit of a craze for home baking a few years ago, I hadn’t used the bread machine for a couple of years so out it went. By contrast we use the air fryer nearly every day.

Some of our gadgets are in the loft. 

ETA: Our breadmaker went after my gluten intolerance became too much

Edited by nb Innisfree

19 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Years ago I heeded the 'experts' advice and went the unsaturated fat route, now it appears the 'experts' got it wrong and saturated far is now ok, salt got the blame for the damage caused by sugar and the reccommended    high carb diet is now implicated in all sorts of illnesses. So it's OK for butter, cheese, cream, eggs, bacon, lard, dripping etc etc -

unless they've got it wrong again?!

Ive said it b4 and will say it again. Yer genes is what counts not some ridiculous vegan vile diet. My old dad had fried breakfast nearly every day right up until death, full fat milk, white bread, chips in lard, sunday roasties in dripping etc etc, he died young aged 90. My mum was more careful with her diet but still only ever had proper milk, butter, white bread for bacon butties etc non of the so called healthy food nonsense the diet cost her dearly as she dies aged 100 years and 3 months, maybe lettuce and skimmed milk and she would have had a long life 🤣

Edited by mrsmelly

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive said it b4 and will say it again. Yer genes is what counts not some ridiculous vegan vile diet. My old dad had fried breakfast nearly every day right up until death, full fat milk, white bread, chips in lard, sunday roasties in dripping etc etc, he died young aged 90. My mum was more careful with her diet but still only ever had proper milk, butter, white bread for bacon butties etc non of the so called healthy food nonsense the diet cost her dearly as she dies aged 100 years and 3 months, maybe lettuce and skimmed milk and she would have had a long life 🤣

So you have a mix of those genes, what age do you expect to get to?  105?

Just now, Jerra said:

So you have a mix of those genes, what age do you expect to get to?  105?

Naaah, I will break the mould lol 😂 my dads brother was 103 when he died. The youngest person on either side of my family in the past 150 years was my gran aged 81 and she was a lifelong smoker. However, apart from proper breakfasts, non of the muesli crap, my parents ate fresh meat/fish/veg etc etc and never ever saw a mcdonalds. They did like the odd portion of fish and chips tho. With my ongoing health problems I am already on borrowed time lol.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Naaah, I will break the mould lol 😂 my dads brother was 103 when he died. The youngest person on either side of my family in the past 150 years was my gran aged 81 and she was a lifelong smoker. However, apart from proper breakfasts, non of the muesli crap, my parents ate fresh meat/fish/veg etc etc and never ever saw a mcdonalds. They did like the odd portion of fish and chips tho. With my ongoing health problems I am already on borrowed time lol.

My feeling was that with modern medicine people are living longer (or were) so you might expect those few extra years.

29 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Having had a bit of a craze for home baking a few years ago, I hadn’t used the bread machine for a couple of years so out it went.

Making bread with a bread machine is a bit like going boating watching youtube videos!

:giggles:

Just now, MtB said:

Making bread with a bread machine is a bit like going boating watching youtube videos!

:giggles:

But it's really nice to wake up to a freshly-baked loaf for breakfast in a house/boat that smells of baking bread...

If you get your pleasure out of making the bread, I agree with you. Me, I get my pleasure out of eating it... 🙂

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

My feeling was that with modern medicine people are living longer (or were) so you might expect those few extra years.

Agreed, but I have already had the extra years. Ive had two operations both that saved my life that wouldnt have been done a few years ago. Apparently I am now in a position where I am ten times more likeley to suffer a stroke or heart failure than the norm for my age 😐 the beer seems to help :)

We up cycled our bread maker when it was replaced under guarantee. It was a Morphy Richards and the gears that turned the paddle stripped.

Mrs M_JG now just bakes bread using the traditional method when we want home baked. She makes Pizza bases similarly.

She hasn't tried baking in the air fryer yet so that is on her 'to try list'.

Edited by M_JG

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, blackrose said:

Is this small 3.8 litre Ninja air fryer worth having? I get a bit bored with my usual hob and oven cooking.

https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninja-air-fryer-af100uk-zidAF100UK?gclsrc=aw.ds&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw8ZKmBhArEiwAspcJ7g74y69kTkIi58HkGiAEOPwFi7bdBrnneXJkbY8dFhi_GdYeNZbTxxoCDZAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

£99 at most places.

We rarely cook with anything else these days in terms of oven cooking. The 3.8l ones are quite small but then again there is only one of you. Since you have plenty of space (wide beam) I’d go for this one https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8963857

similar to the one we have, a bit bigger at 5.7litres and cheaper than the Ninja one, but I’m sure yours would be fine.