Wildlife

LadyG

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Generally ecosystems require predators to maintain healthy or balanced populations and habits, as a country we have killed most of our large predators and done a fine job reducing the numbers of the small predators as well.

What is being argued is domestic cats have stepped into the role of our lost small predators and apparently the research has shown this to be the case.

In most natural systems the predator numbers mirror the prey numbers quite closely and is quite finely balanced, the one thing that does make me hesitant about the cat predator thing is that in a natural system when prey numbers fall there is a corresponding fall in predators due to lack of resources, which obviously doesn't happen with cats.

That point aside, yes having a predator is a good thing, vital even, in any ecological system.

I don't really ike cats but I'm on their side here. Ecosystems aren't just prey v predators but also the environment that live in. The biggest factor in the decline in garden birds over the last couple of decades has been the changes to agricultural practices. https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/where-have-all-the-birds-gone/is-the-number-of-birds-in-decline/#:~:text=Extensive research has shown that,primarily by changes in agriculture.&text=This has led to%3A,to increase the planted area

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Ianws said:

I don't really ike cats but I'm on their side here. Ecosystems aren't just prey v predators but also the environment that live in. The biggest factor in the decline in garden birds over the last couple of decades has been the changes to agricultural practices. https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/where-have-all-the-birds-gone/is-the-number-of-birds-in-decline/#:~:text=Extensive research has shown that,primarily by changes in agriculture.&text=This has led to%3A,to increase the planted area

The figures in the link relate to drops in numbers to 2003, but I don't think much, if anything, will have been changed to help since then, apart from some tightening up on some chemicals. As a kid in the 70s sparrows in the garden we're ubiquitous. Now hardly ever seen. I don't think that's all the fault of cats. 

In the past few days or so, let's call it a week, I've seen

Moorhens, Mallard Ducks, Swans, Cormorant, Foxes, Voles, Mink, Rats and mice including the field variety, Barn Owl and various small birds, the usual suspects of sparrow, robin, blue ti, wren and many more. I have seen a Badger too but that was on CCTV so doesn't really count.

All in a rather urban environment. They're all there you just need to be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye out.

3 hours ago, Ianws said:

Very much so, ecosystems are complex things and I wasn't claiming the predator/prey thing was anymore than a part of that system.

What it is though is a convenient scapegoat, it's an easy target, Mrs Miggins see a reduction of sparrows on her her feeders and then sees Tigger next doors cat munching on a sparrow and suddenly there's a campaign to kill all the cats.

13 hours ago, Jerra said:

I am afraid all that proves is ducks have common sense.  It gives no idea as to what is happening country wide or for that matter that any ducks were harmed it merely shows they knew there was a predator and avoided coming into contact.

No, they had just been eaten by the cats! 

The answer is massive applications of DDT to take out the bottom of the food chain then all the rest of the pests higher up will disappear.

Including Man.

7 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No, they had just been eaten by the cats! 

You actually watched them being eaten?  I suspect otherwise you are putting two and two together and making three.  I saw a cat try to catch a Woodpigeon the other day (much smaller than Mallard) while it got a good hold the bird flew away leaving enough feathers thhat if I hadn't seen the incident I would have put it down to a predator kill.

7 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The answer is massive applications of DDT to take out the bottom of the food chain then all the rest of the pests higher up will disappear.

Including Man.

Massive applications of any chemical will thin out all populations which isn't a good thing.  Incidentally DDT was banned in 1986.

The situation with regard to bird populations is very complex and often the reason can only be a hypothesis until it is proved by scientific research.  Here are 5 examples of common birds and population changes.

Blackbird. The population was steady until the mid 1990s then there was a steady increase until the 200s now at least 20% more than before.

Great Tit.  The population was steady until the mid 60s then has increased steadily until the 2000s.   Now in the region of 50% higher.

House Sparrow.  A rapid fall from the 70s untyil the mid 90s and steady since then.  Now around a quarter of previous populations.

Starling.  A steady fall since the mid 60s until around 2010 now steady at around a quarter of the previous population.

Robin.  More or less steady until mid 80s then a steady rise until about 2005 then ups and downs since but at the lowest at least 100% up on the pre 80s population.

As I said the reasons are complex and not yet proved partly because it is difficult to prove the reasons.  For example Starlings and House Sparrows are often thought to have crashed owing to lack pf nest sites as houses noew have fewer "cavities" to nest in and there are lost less dead trees around for natural cavities.

With the starling I personally doubt the Problem is nest sites as I observed a huge fall in nests on the school site.  The cavities were still there but there were no birds to nest in them.

N.B  I only have access to population numbers since the mid 60 so brids trends are in my examples based on that.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

You actually watched them being eaten?  I suspect otherwise you are putting two and two together and making three.  I saw a cat try to catch a Woodpigeon the other day (much smaller than Mallard) while it got a good hold the bird flew away leaving enough feathers thhat if I hadn't seen the incident I would have put it down to a predator kill.

Massive applications of any chemical will thin out all populations which isn't a good thing.  Incidentally DDT was banned in 1986.

I know. It use was phased out starting in 1956 I believe, sadly, just as it was about to eradicate the anopheles mosquito which is responsible for the proliferation of malaria. 

13 hours ago, Liam said:

In the past few days or so, let's call it a week, I've seen

Moorhens, Mallard Ducks, Swans, Cormorant, Foxes, Voles, Mink, Rats and mice including the field variety, Barn Owl and various small birds, the usual suspects of sparrow, robin, blue ti, wren and many more. I have seen a Badger too but that was on CCTV so doesn't really count.

All in a rather urban environment. They're all there you just need to be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye out.

Could that be because you’ve been boating? That seems to be the best way to see wildlife, particularly at dawn and dusk.

I saw a large stag in the woodland above Wood End lock last week. Plus lots of kingfishers and too many cormorants in general.

The stag and a swimming grass snake were the best I’ve seen this year. No definitive sightings of a vole - plenty of rats though. Haven’t seen an otter in over five years.

Not these past few days, simply spotted by being out with the dog on various walks, or just plodding through various jobs on the wharf.

I forgot to add rabbits to the original list. They're plentiful in the adjacent field.

50 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I find, as Liam suggests, that if you are interested/care about wildlife you seeit all over the place, otherwise it isn't noticed by those not really interested.

Cats care about wildlife, they're *really* interested in it... 😉

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I find, as Liam suggests, that if you are interested/care about wildlife you seeit all over the place, otherwise it isn't noticed by those not really interested.

Best thing I bought a few years ago was a pair of decent binoculars.

They often come with me when walking the dog, you get to see a whole lot more.

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

A few months ago I met a liveaboard who told me that listening to the birds chattering away was what kept him sane. (It was not a joke)

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

A few months ago I met a liveaboard who told me that listening to the birds chattering away was what kept him sane. (It was not a joke)

Being "in nature" is proven to be good for mental health, which is probably why the majority of boaters are sane sensible people,   There are exceptions of course!

On 03/12/2022 at 12:32, LadyG said:

OK, so am increasingly concerned about absence of wildlife on the canals, a fabulous resource of food and habitat, but where are the birds and the bees? Who is monitoring them? Who is damaging them?

I've been in a semi rural environment, hung feeders on a tree, no birds. I've seen one pair of Mergansers, winter visitors.

(sawbills). I m not keen on mallard or Canada geese,  greedy beggars.

Is there anything we general boaters can do? 

I've posted elsewhere about sighting what I believe to be two black-throated divers near Skipton a couple of weeks ago - totally wrong area according to the books. Diving - well they would, wouldn't they, before one caught a fish.