Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I don’t like any beer with chip shop chips…strong tea that you bounce the spoon out of is my preference. 

And why not? Different strokes for different folks. I'm not a tea (or, for that matter, dandelion & burdock) drinker, so I had to find a palatable substitute.

We rarely have chip-shop F&C, usually it's Young's Chiip Shop fish with Tesco Finest chips. Noww file me under "heathen"..:D

Edited by Athy

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

And why not? Different strokes for different folks. I'm not a tea (or, for that matter, dandelion & burdock) drinker, so I had to find a palatable substitute.

WWe rarely have chip-shop F&C, usually it's Young's Chiip Shop fish with Tesco Finest chips. Noww file me under "heathen"..:D

You seem to have a stutter on your ww’s.

I spent most of my childhood in Chorley. I’m sure I read somewhere recently that Vimto is a Chorley creation and manufacture icon.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Athy said:

WWe rarely have chip-shop F&C, usually it's Young's Chiip Shop fish with Tesco Finest chips. Noww file me under "heathen"..:D

Heathen :ninja:

16 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I spent most of my childhood in Chorley. I’m sure I read somewhere recently that Vimto is a Chorley creation and manufacture icon.

When we lived in Sale there was a huge Vimto factory just down the road at Wythenshawe - close to the Wythenshawe hospital.

Vimto is a soft drink that has it all. Created in Manchester in 1908 by John Noel Nichols, Vimto was originally designed as a herbal tonic to give its drinkers ‘Vim and Vigour’. For over 100 years, we have been mixing our secret recipe – a blend of fruits, herbs and spices – to produce a unique and irresistible range of drinks.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Vimto every time. If you can find it. So many childhood memories of Vimto.

Ah, Vimto! Fondly remembered from my navy days when a surplus of post-mix being given away free once made Vimto a key ingredient of a mess drink. Mixed with vodka it became .. Vomto! :wacko:

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

We rarely have chip-shop F&C, usually it's Young's Chiip Shop fish with Tesco Finest chips. Noww file me under "heathen"..:D

Considering how far you live from the chip shop that's more then Heathen

• Haha 1

A decade ago a small shop in Dagenham used to sell all three types of bottled Guiness: London-, Dublin- and Nigerian-brewed.They were all much the same price. I complimented the shopkeeper on his range of beers, and he told me that the Nigerian stuff was much in demand by the local  immigrant community. Now that the London brewery has closed, only the two are left. I never drink the stuff myself. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

A decade ago a small shop in Dagenham used to sell all three types of bottled Gunniess: London-, Dublin- and Nigerian-brewed.They were all much the same price. The Nigerian stuff was much in demand by the local  immigrant community. Now that the London brewery has closed, only the two are left. I never drink the stuff myself. 

I think the Nigerian one is like the Malaysian one….like malted treacle….nice once you realise it’s not really Guinness as we know it. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

How curious.i missed that until you pointed it out. I did however notice the twin letter 'i' in "chiips", which appear not to have grabbed your eye!

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Correct - The Guiness we all know & Love is NOT a Porter, but Guiness did make a Porter :

See the source image

A little bit of history.

The name "stout", used for a dark beer, came about because strong porters were marketed as "stout porter", later being shortened to just stout.   Guinness Extra Stoiut was originally called "Extra Superior Porter" and was not given the name "Extra Stout" until 1840.

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

On 17/12/2022 at 10:47, Alan de Enfield said:

When we lived in Sale there was a huge Vimto factory just down the road at Wythenshawe - close to the Wythenshawe hospital.

I once saw a bottle of Vimto where some wag had gone to great trouble in soaking off the label, taking a scalpel to it, rearranging the letters and sticking the label back on again.

A a nice bottle of sparkling Vomit anyone?

😀

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

18 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I thought the big thaw started today, but it seems to be snowing here - not settling though.

Keeps snowing here on and off.

The roads and paths were already icy and treacherous.

Mind you won't bother us. We are both laid up on the sofa having a second duvet day with the lurgy!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

We had some light snow earlier on but it turned to a light drizzle, which has made the road very very sketchy 

Sorry, I was being a bit light-hearted - weather here is fine, (well, if you call rain above freezing fine)  it was on my screen the snow was falling - and still is, there's about 2 inches at the bottom now .....

17 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Sorry, I was being a bit light-hearted - weather here is fine, (well, if you call rain above freezing fine)  it was on my screen the snow was falling - and still is, there's about 2 inches at the bottom now .....

:)

nothing to be sorry about, I have yet to see the virtual snow, seen plenty of the real stuff 

the road is stupidly icy though.