Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Any liveaboards running out of water yet? I've still got half a tank left but mine holds nearly 1300 litres so I can easily make it last a month. I think I've only run the washing machine once since this cold snap started.

I did warn a couple of new liveaboard neighbours at the marina to fill up before the freezing weather started because I know it can catch people out, but at least one ignored me and she's been out of water for the last week. You can lead a horse to water... Almost literally.

Our marina has trace heating to all the water points....so no issues....the only thing Ive had to do is pour half a kettle of water over the lid to the tank (Integral bow locker type) where its been iced closed. We have stopped rocking and on a walk today reckon you could walk across the cut if you were daft enough...its going to take time to thaw.

Collect fresh snow in basins and things and take it in doors to thaw, soft and distilled, velly good for you and cats love it.  Susan in Arthur Ransomes book ''Winter holiday'' used to use it to make tea and to boil up Pemican stews.  Ed Stafford's done it too.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, frangar said:

Our marina has trace heating to all the water points....so no issues....the only thing Ive had to do is pour half a kettle of water over the lid to the tank (Integral bow locker type) where its been iced closed. We have stopped rocking and on a walk today reckon you could walk across the cut if you were daft enough...its going to take time to thaw.

Ours is supposed to have trace heating but I don't think it works when it gets to minus 5C at night. It's all frozen solid. Or perhaps the marina operator turned it off when the electricity prices went up?

13 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Collect fresh snow in basins and things and take it in doors to thaw, soft and distilled, velly good for you and cats love it.  Susan in Arthur Ransomes book ''Winter holiday'' used to use it to make tea and to boil up Pemican stews.  Ed Stafford's done it too.

Nice idea but we haven't had any snow here.

Edited by blackrose

18 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Ours is supposed to have trace heating but I don't think it works when it gets to minus 5C at night. It's all frozen solid. Or perhaps the marina operator turned it off when the electricity prices went up?

Nice idea but we haven't had any snow here.

I would happily send you some but the posties are on strike

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Do you use hot or cold water?

For some reason hot water freezes quicker than cold water.

Cobblers! 

But it depends what you mean by "freezes". A cup of hot water bunged in the freezer skins over forming layer of ice on top before the cold does when both put in a freezer together, or so someone told me who had claimed to have done the test. And there was a just-about plausible scientific explanation for this which I have long forgotten. But freezing solid, the cold gets there first apparently. Although it's not immediately clear how to tell when a cup of water has frozen solid, or not.

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

I know what Guinness is, formerly known as Porter, and their is another well known  similar drink, I quite like them. This was pretty moderate, I even left some!

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

Any liveaboards running out of water yet? I've still got half a tank left but mine holds nearly 1300 litres so I can easily make it last a month. I think I've only run the washing machine once since this cold snap started.

I did warn a couple of new liveaboard neighbours at the marina to fill up before the freezing weather started because I know it can catch people out, but at least one ignored me and she's been out of water for the last week. You can lead a horse to water... Almost literally.

Dubliners call it stout if it's draft and porter if it's in a bottle. Just saying.

Lancaster 2010, our second winter as liveaboards. There was a bridge just out of view that enabled us to get the hose across the canal to get water. We joined forces with the boat in front of us because our hose didn't reach.

Then we broke the ice for him so he could move to the other side where he felt safer.

I miss it so much.

IMG_20221217_024905.jpg

Edited by Ange
  • Happy 1

19 hours ago, frangar said:

I try to only drink darker ales....so Porter...mild....old ale. To my mind these are proper ales....dont get the trend for all this light hoppy stuff but I have heard that dark ale is making a comeback...I can but hope!

Tesco and other supermarkets stock the darker, or " ruby ", version of Hobgoblin, so you''re right to be optimistic.

The landlord of the Alma Arms in Uckfield, where I became familiar with Harvey's range of admirable beers when we lived in Sussex, used to say "Porter was grandfather's mild". 

59 minutes ago, Athy said:

Tesco and other supermarkets stock the darker, or " ruby ", version of Hobgoblin, so you''re right to be optimistic.

The landlord of the Alma Arms in Uckfield, where I became familiar with Harvey's range of admirable beers when we lived in Sussex, used to say "Porter was grandfather's mild". 

Hobgoblin should be dark…it’s only in recent times they have done a golden version…..

• Greenie 1

Just now, frangar said:

Hobgoblin should be dark…it’s only in recent times they have done a golden version…..

Yes indeedy; the Gold is not a bad drink in summer, but you can't beat the real thing - which goes admirably with fish & chips, I've found.

43 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes indeedy; the Gold is not a bad drink in summer, but you can't beat the real thing - which goes admirably with fish & chips, I've found.

I don’t like any beer with chip shop chips…strong tea that you bounce the spoon out of is my preference. 

• Greenie 1