Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, M_JG said:

Strewth. Glad I live up North.

Last nights Chinese was £8 pp and I can get decent Fish and chips for under a tenner pp. 

Takeaways where we live are really expensive. The last Indian we ordered was knocking on for £50 and we didn't go mad at that. One starter to share, one curry each, a rice to share and a naan bread to share!

It is very good but at that price we certainly don't get it very often.

This weekend like most when we are at home I will be making my own curry in the slow cooker. Much cheaper, plus we know what is going in it! Slow cooked lamb saag massala this Saturday.

We don't tend to get fish and chips unless we are at the seaside. Last lot we had were from Southwold. £25 for two fish and chips take out. They were very nice but very much on the expensive side.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

First ice of the year..

20221208_081428.jpg

It was disappointingly warm where we are this morning. Only zero degrees.

The BMS hasn't even switched on the cold temperature alert on the unheated van battery yet :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, MtB said:

They were saying on the radio today how F&C shops are booming. I think they said 300 new ones have opened in the last 12 months. 

I can't see £14.50 being much of a problem personally. They are competing with Indian takeaways at £30+ per person and Chinese at £20+ per person minimum. 

I suppose a MacDonalds or KFC would be cheaper but to call that food is stretching it a bit. 

Interestingly the KFC in town recently closed the four chippies seem to be still very busy.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

The £14.50 F&C are a pub meal, inside, probably comes with peas or mushy peas, lemon and tartare sauce, with a selection of excellent ales brought to the table on request whilst you are eating.

Not a takeaway 

Absolutely correct -- that's a perfect description of what we had at the Wharf Inn 🙂

(choice of peas or mushies IIRC, obviously mushies were chosen...)

• Greenie 1

Only 1 degree here and we got some very very light snow flurries.

Which have completely petered out without laying.

Hoping it holds off as we are headed into Teesdale tommorrow to stay in a cottage to celebrate eldest daughter 40th.

Beautiful weather here on the Nene despite the cold temperatures. Bright sunshine all day. I've had 1.67 kWh so far today from my panels and there's still over an hour of sunshine to go.

I took this picture on my phone yesterday evening from the boat just before it got dark.

IMG_20221207_164036.jpg

Edited by blackrose

On 06/12/2022 at 16:48, peterboat said:

Ian it's the Guardian, which is fairly left, Tim is a right wing Brexiteer I expect no different a review! In fact I would be surprised if was different! I love how the photos are done to show one meal in its worst light, he bases his review on the lack of roast potatoes? Sad really,  mine the other day was hot and good  my mates the same.

43 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Still nowhere near as cold as forecast here. -1 this morning with a heavy frost. Forecast reckoned -4 degrees.

BMS on the van battery has now gone into cold weather protection mode though.

You weren't too far from the forecast snow last night.  It was settling on the M18 near Maltby at 10.30, but nothing heading down the A1.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

You weren't too far from the forecast snow last night.  It was settling on the M18 near Maltby at 10.30, but nothing heading down the A1.

There was the odd patch of snow on the drive into work but nothing major. Just odd dustings. 

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Still nowhere near as cold as forecast here. -1 this morning with a heavy frost. Forecast reckoned -4 degrees.

BMS on the van battery has now gone into cold weather protection mode though.

Similar here, just below freezing by the looks of stuff out of the window, I wont be going out until early evening for the pub though. There is a micro climate here in the Teifi valley, we are surrounded by hills rising way above us covered in trees, when we drive out after a couple of miles the climate is often very different, summer and winter, dead weird.

28 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'd have gone mad at that! 50 quid!? :o  Folk'll have to start cooking for themselves if this keeps up! :(

I collected a takeaway from the best Indian restaraunt in Marlborough the other day. I didn't go overboard ordering loads of food as it was just for one, i.e. me. But it was still £35. 

F&C for a tenner is seriously cheap and great value IMO. 

Edited by MtB

On 04/12/2022 at 11:28, peterboat said:

You were unlucky we had a great one the other Friday, it's the luck of the draw I am afraid. 

It's not supposed to be :   if they can't cope with frozen peas, frozen chips, pre -sliced turkey they need to be sent to a boot camp. The carrots were like rubber, never noticed the stuffing. The gravy was the only thing that was hot.

On 04/12/2022 at 11:28, peterboat said:

You were unlucky we had a great one the other Friday, it's the luck of the draw I am afraid. 

Where a restaurant is concerned, it being a lottery as to whether one gets hot food or not is a pretty basic standard for them to be failing on. 

There should be no doubt. One should not need to be 'lucky' to get food that is safe to eat. 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Where a restaurant is concerned, it being a lottery as to whether one gets hot food or not is a pretty basic standard for them to be failing on. 

There should be no doubt. One should not need to be 'lucky' to get food that is safe to eat. 

Mike I was in the Army on exercise we ate as it came! Often straight out of the tin and freezing cold

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Mike I was in the Army on exercise we ate as it came! Often straight out of the tin and freezing cold

And that excuses cold food in 'spoons (or anywhere else) how, exactly? 😉