Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Weird innit. I got 500 squids, the missus got nowt. Ok so its the same amount but there doesnt seem a consistency in how payments are made??  Maybe its cos we only have one bank account???

We get two separate payments into our joint account.

16 hours ago, Tonka said:

At the moment with Avian flu around, you will probably find all eggs come from battery hens

I don't think that is true. At least as I understand it, battery hens live their lives in cages but barn hens share a large space, albeit with a cast of thousands. Free range birds are usually, I suspect, now barn reared.

12 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I must be unlucky, I've never eaten a cornish pasty that was worth finishing.

Originally, as it is said, they were not meant to be finished - the crusty edge was for holding it whilst you munch away at the rest and then thrown away. Not a bat idea down the arsenic mines!

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I don't think that is true. At least as I understand it, battery hens live their lives in cages but barn hens share a large space, albeit with a cast of thousands. Free range birds are usually, I suspect, now barn reared.

To be called "Free Range" the poultry must have acess to roam freely (outside) during daylight hours.

As there is a ban on any birds (except wild ones) having access outside then there can be no free range eggs (except for 'old stock')

The farm next to us had 35,000 layers destroyed because he had a couple die from the Avian Flu. Thought to have come into the building via a sparrow (or similar) coming in thru a roof vent

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Sad 1

Many years ago, when I first left home to work in London, my parents bought me a Marguerite Patten cookery book. I still have it. MP's recipe for yorkie puds was four ounces of flour, half a pint of milk, an egg and a pinch of salt. I've followed his ever since (halving it, apart from the egg, when I'm making puds for just the two of us) and it usually workd well.

One thing my Mum dinned into me was not to open the oven door while the puds were rising, or they would go sad (i.e. deflate). There is, of course, a slight problem here: if your cooker doesn't have a window in its oven door, as ours doesn't, how do you know when they're cooked? I wonder if that contributed to the deflated puds pictured earlier in the thread.

Edited by Athy

Just now, Ange said:

Nah. We love them, which is all that matters.

They're not as good as *proper* homemade Yorkshire puddings -- crispy edges at least 3" tall, soft and light in the middle -- but they're reliable, and better than ones which went wrong like Goliath's... 😉

1 minute ago, IanD said:

They're not as good as *proper* homemade Yorkshire puddings -- crispy edges at least 3" tall, soft and light in the middle -- but they're reliable, and better than ones which went wrong like Goliath's... 😉

Absolutely, and we can cook two  or three at a time 🙂

Pour the batter round a large joint of beef so that the beef juices run into the Yorkshire - then eat a large wedge of pudding with crispy beefy edges and thickish gravy before the main course. Delicious. I was raised on that - perhaps thats why I'm crispy round the edges and a bit thick. That's how my mother cooked it, and try as I might, I just haven't been able to replicate it.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Pour the batter round a large joint of beef so that the beef juices run into the Yorkshire - then eat a large wedge of pudding with crispy beefy edges and thickish gravy before the main course. Delicious. I was raised on that - perhaps thats why I'm crispy round the edges and a bit thick. That's how my mother cooked it, and try as I might, I just haven't been able to replicate it.

I'd forgotten about that: many years ago, my best friend's Mum used to serve a slab of Yorkshire pudding, with onion gravy, as a starter. That was in Sheffield, but she was originally from Lancashire, so perhaps it's something which they do  (or used to do) there.

9 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Funny isn't it how we can't replicate Mums cooking (or dad's in the case of yorkies)

Generally mum was a mediocre cook, veg boiled to death, overcooked meat but by god her gravy was to die for and her baking was a gift from the gods

• Greenie 2

Just now, Ange said:

I'd love to be able to cook dumplings as good as my mum's.

Mum made a lemon sponge layered with lemon cream and covered with lemon cream, it was about 2foot tall, ohhhhhh lush, but in some way it contains raw egg so once that edwina woman made her salmonella pronouncement that was the end of that

• Greenie 1