Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Woodenspoons do a very nice 5 bean chilli. 
And with the price of a day out in the pub these days, I’ll be using them a lot more. 

Walsall has a very good Spoons. 

Our (chain pub) preference locally is a Marstons pub but mainly because it is closer than our nearest Spoons.

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Always, a plate full of roasties and a equally large plate full of yorkies, yum

Unfortunately I've never managed to make a decent Pud, so rely on others to dish the goods

Equal portions of milk, eggs and flour very hot pudding tray.

And Robert is your fathers brother.

10 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Our (chain pub) preference locally is a Marstons pub but mainly because it is closer than our nearest Spoons.

And Robert is your fathers brother.

Thought you were off out...😉

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Excellent news Matty, thanks so much for arranging this! In my line of business I'm all set to absolutely mint it. 

Your drifting crisp packet may need to be nailed to a telegraph pole if you dont want it to be lost.

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

5DA8A28F-899B-44A0-9B14-6B17187B46FA.jpeg.f9268f5a60a2691473080051ea30f0f0.jpeg

my last attempt at Yorkshire Puddings

so bad I had to photograph them

Oh dear 😞

If it's any consolation, my wife has made such good Yorkies in the past that my (Yorkshire) family made her an honorary Yorkshirewoman. But last time they came out not much different to yours, no idea why -- she was distraught, I had to feed her several large G&Ts to cheer her up... 😉 

Edited by IanD

dunno why me puds don’t work 🤷‍♀️
I’ll persevere. 

I make a good pasty though (me crimping needs work mind)

3AA64D73-B7A5-4D70-A962-DA6018600D61.jpeg.ee2e2b8b89588f4e2d44c5a77b6383cb.jpeg

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Look like my attempts, I'm a moderately decent cook and Yorkshires are basically simple things but everytime they come out like that

That’s why it’s frustrating, they’re supposed to simple 😂

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, M_JG said:

By volume, not by weight.  Makes a hell of a difference.

Add a good pinch of salt, and don't over-whisk the batter or they won't rise properly.

Preheat the oiled tray until around smoke point then pour (not too much) batter into the tray sections.

Enjoy!

Edit to add pic:

yorkies.jpg.0730b42e4505f263cfbb0f7bbe773630.jpg

Edited by TheBiscuits
Add a bit
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

By volume, not by weight.  Makes a hell of a difference.

Add a good pinch of salt, and don't over-whisk the batter or they won't rise properly.

Preheat the oiled tray until around smoke point then pour (not too much) batter into the tray sections.

Enjoy!

That’s what I do 

A cup of flour

A cup of milk

and an egg

Same as me pancake mix. 

I blame them bad puds on me mom’s oven, 😃

Edited by Goliath

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

That’s what I do 

A cup of flour

A cup of milk

and an egg

That's one very big egg if it's a whole cup measure.  Add more eggs or less flour and milk so the volumes are equal. 

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Might have some use soon, if the canal ices over and the local hockey team turn up for practice

Puck that! :giggles:

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's one very big egg if it's a whole cup measure.  Add more eggs or less flour and milk so the volumes are equal. 

No not a cup of eggs?!

What? More eggs?

I thought too many eggs spoiled the mix?

My mix I do for pancakes and they’re dead nice. I understand pancake mix is the same. 

But I will stand to be corrected seeing as my puds are very bad. And try more egg 

1 hour ago, M_JG said:

Spoons serve a purpose, they are not pretentious nor are their customers, sometimes the food is below par but like most chain pubs it's OK most of the time and often the only place that the plebs that you look down upon can afford to eat out, especially if they have a couple of kids in tow.

I am sure that true .

But I would prefer to self cater with better food at home at less cost. 

I have witnessed more than one  below standard meal this  year with examples at  a large chain pub and also at a one off local both of which used to be great value l. I suspect there will be a return to sub standard catering in the UK . My philosophy will be to eat out less often but to be more selective.

PS I did have the best fish and chips at a pub in the summer and the price was excellent . If they are still in business I will return.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Margaret got hers this morning. £250 each. Plus the £10 brucie each.

Weird innit. I got 500 squids, the missus got nowt. Ok so its the same amount but there doesnt seem a consistency in how payments are made??  Maybe its cos we only have one bank account???

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Weird innit. I got 500 squids, the missus got nowt. Ok so its the same amount but there doesnt seem a consistency in how payments are made??  Maybe its cos we only have one bank account???

Quite possible.

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Hanging offence for Christmas Dinner, as is the lack of sprouts.

As it was only advertised as "Sliced turkey breast and winter vegetables", it may be acceptable ... to heathens!

I don't like sprouts, 2 a year is enough, the mash was ok so was the Turkey. 

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

5DA8A28F-899B-44A0-9B14-6B17187B46FA.jpeg.f9268f5a60a2691473080051ea30f0f0.jpeg

my last attempt at Yorkshire Puddings

so bad I had to photograph them

The Ukraine needs so.e extra weapons.......

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

There is no roast meat meal that Yorkshires aren't appropriate, a fair few other meals that can only be improved by the inclusion of a decent Pud

2 hours ago, M_JG said:

Nooooooooooooooooo......

Heresy.

Never ever in this house on Xmas day.

I am with Tree monkey but unfortunately the management isn't so Christmas day is ruined by the lack of the puddings 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

We’ve got the one account into which our pensions and winter fuel money is paid, and for us, it’s £250 each.  The wife had hers a couple of days ago, still waiting for mine.

When just the wife qualified she got the lot, and then I qualified, it was the same amount but split 50/50 between us.

7 minutes ago, davem399 said:

We’ve got the one account into which our pensions and winter fuel money is paid, and for us, it’s £250 each.  The wife had hers a couple of days ago, still waiting for mine.

When just the wife qualified she got the lot, and then I qualified, it was the same amount but split 50/50 between us.

Thats what I find strange. When my missus got her winter allowance first ( I am a toy boy 😄 ) then she was paid. This year, my second year of state pension the amount has gone up and its all been paid under my nat insurance number, weird innit?

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thats what I find strange. When my missus got her winter allowance first ( I am a toy boy 😄 ) then she was paid. This year, my second year of state pension the amount has gone up and its all been paid under my nat insurance number, weird innit?

It's your reward for being a good boy and supporting Boris 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Spend your half on the heating and then use the other half to impress the lovely lady.

• Happy 1