Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and laugh at me if I'm wrong, but this looks quite likely to be similar to 2010 now, with all the associated issues of energy crisis, high bills, Christmas delivery logistics and economy mixed in. 

This mornings charts should really see the Gov starting to consider a COBRA meeting to plan ahead. It wont happen until the snow is a foot high though.

By the middle of next week, we could be in a serious deep freeze.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and laugh at me if I'm wrong, but this looks quite likely to be similar to 2010 now, with all the associated issues of energy crisis, high bills, Christmas delivery logistics and economy mixed in. 

This mornings charts should really see the Gov starting to consider a COBRA meeting to plan ahead. It wont happen until the snow is a foot high though.

I think you might be right. Back in 2010 we were frozen in from the beginning of nov till Jan as I recall. There does look to be be prolonged freeze coming up in the next few days although some forecasts then saying it’s going to be 6c overnight so we shall have to see. One thing is certain…you can’t change what’s going to happen to the weather…just prepare for the worst and be happy if doesn’t happen….nothing will be wasted. 

40 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Excellent news Matty, thanks so much for arranging this! In my line of business I'm all set to absolutely mint it. 

The last few years have been quite disappointing business-wise, with all this warm weather through the whole winter and not a single frost. 

• Greenie 1

On 05/12/2022 at 10:14, Nightwatch said:

Got my winter fuel allowance this morning. The boss hasn’t get hers yet! Do I let her sit near the fire?

I dont think you both get it? My missus doesnt anymore, just me.

On 04/12/2022 at 18:24, MartynG said:

My limited experience of Wetherspoons is awful food and awful beer and  stinking vagrants at the bar.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/dec/06/which-bit-of-the-turkey-is-this-supposed-to-be-i-ate-12-christmas-dinners-in-12-days-here-are-the-best-and-worst

Cheap but nasty 'spoons Xmas meal -- even the often-maligned Harvester is *way* better (and not that much more expensive)...

spoons.png

harvester.png

1 hour ago, IanD said:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/dec/06/which-bit-of-the-turkey-is-this-supposed-to-be-i-ate-12-christmas-dinners-in-12-days-here-are-the-best-and-worst

Cheap but nasty 'spoons Xmas meal -- even the often-maligned Harvester is *way* better (and not that much more expensive)...

spoons.png

harvester.png

Ian it's the Guardian, which is fairly left, Tim is a right wing Brexiteer I expect no different a review! In fact I would be surprised if was different! I love how the photos are done to show one meal in its worst light, he bases his review on the lack of roast potatoes? Sad really,  mine the other day was hot and good  my mates the same.

Edited by peterboat

1 hour ago, IanD said:

You missed the epic one ...

Day six: Hungry Horse

Traditional Christmas dinner

Thanks, but no thanks … Christmas dinner at Hungry Horse.

Turkey breast; sage and onion stuffing; pig in blanket; yorkshire pudding; roast potatoes; seasonal veg; cranberry sauce; gravy. 1,034 kcal. £15.99 (two courses); £18.99 (three)

Cranberry and stuffing missing in action … Hungry Horse.

A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a decent Christmas dinner. They say the first bite of any meal is with the eye – so what in the name of all things festive is this? Where’s the green? Which bit of the turkey is that supposed to be – its biceps? The advertised cranberry sauce and stuffing are awol and the gravy tastes of petrol. I wouldn’t feed this last turkey in the shop of a Christmas dinner to my dog, but, in the interests of journalism, I eat it anyway.
Score: 0/5

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You missed the epic one ...

Day six: Hungry Horse

Traditional Christmas dinner

Turkey breast; sage and onion stuffing; pig in blanket; yorkshire pudding; roast potatoes; seasonal veg; cranberry sauce; gravy. 1,034 kcal. £15.99 (two courses); £18.99 (three)

A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a decent Christmas dinner. They say the first bite of any meal is with the eye – so what in the name of all things festive is this? Where’s the green? Which bit of the turkey is that supposed to be – its biceps? The advertised cranberry sauce and stuffing are awol and the gravy tastes of petrol. I wouldn’t feed this last turkey in the shop of a Christmas dinner to my dog, but, in the interests of journalism, I eat it anyway.
Score: 0/5

I did, but there aren't any Hungry Horse fans on CWDF -- at least, if there are they keep very quiet about it, unlike the 'spoons fans.. 😉

8 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Ian it's the Guardian, which is fairly left, Tim is a right wing Brexiteer I expect no different a review! In fact I would be surprised if was different! I love how the photos are done to show one meal in its worst light, he bases his review on the lack of roast potatoes? Sad really,  mine the other day was hot and good  my mates the same.

Are you seriously suggesting that opinions about the quality of the food depend on your politics?

I note there's not a single mention anywhere in the article about Tim Martin or 'spoons politics/employment/policies, and neither is there in anything else I can find written by the same author.

I suggest that -- as so often -- you're clutching at straws to try and defend your best mate... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, IanD said:

I suggest that -- as so often -- you're clutching at straws to try and defend your best mate... 😉

I suggest that -- as so often because  -- you're obviously wealthy (you tell us often enough) you are being snobbish, yet again.

Spoons serve a purpose, they are not pretentious nor are their customers, sometimes the food is below par but like most chain pubs it's OK most of the time and often the only place that the plebs that you look down upon can afford to eat out, especially if they have a couple of kids in tow.

Edited by M_JG

5 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I suggest that -- as so often because  -- you're obviously wealthy you are being snobbish, yet again.

Spoons serve a purpose, they are not pretentious nor are there customers, sometimes the food is below par but like most chain pubs it's OK most of the time and often the only place that the plebs that you look down upon can afford to eat out, especially if they have a couple of kids in tow.

It’s ok just tell Ian there eggs come from battery hens, he will change his mind.🤣🤣

20 minutes ago, M_JG said:

I suggest that -- as so often because  -- you're obviously wealthy (you tell us often enough) you are being snobbish, yet again.

Spoons serve a purpose, they are not pretentious nor are their customers, sometimes the food is below par but like most chain pubs it's OK most of the time and often the only place that the plebs that you look down upon can afford to eat out, especially if they have a couple of kids in tow.

Oh dear, your chip has fallen off your shoulder again, hasn't it?

You're the one who keeps posting about how 'spoons is great, the beer and food are great, and it's really cheap. The last one is certainly true, they are very good value, but nobody with any taste buds would claim that their food -- and to some extent, beer -- is high quality (or that they don't treat their suppliers and staff like sh*t). Which you keep doing (do I really have to dig out your multiple posts saying exactly that?), and I keep ribbing you about... 😉

I'm perfectly aware *why* 'spoons is popular, it's cheap -- and there's *nothing* wrong with that, and I certainly don't "look down on" people who go there because they can't afford to go somewhere much more expensive, or might not even want to.

Similarly I don't "look down on" people in old scruffy boats -- or up to people in new shiny ones -- because a lot of the people in the scruffy boats are lovely, and some of the people in the shiny boats are a*seholes, and it's nothing to do with how much money they do or don't have. Actually I take that back, there does often seem to be a positive money/a*sehole link, ask any waitress... 😉

As so often, you're showing your prejudices by accusing me of attitudes that I don't hold... 😞

Edited by IanD

16 minutes ago, IanD said:

Oh dear, your chip has fallen off your shoulder again, hasn't it?

You're the one who keeps posting about how 'spoons is great, the beer and food are great, and it's really cheap. The last one is certainly true, they are very good value, but nobody with any taste buds would claim that their food -- and to some extent, beer -- is high quality (or that they don't treat their suppliers and staff like sh*t). Which you keep doing (do I really have to dig out your multiple posts saying exactly that?), and I keep ribbing you about... 😉

I'm perfectly aware *why* 'spoons is popular, it's cheap -- and there's *nothing* wrong with that, and I certainly don't "look down on" people who go there because they can't afford to go somewhere much more expensive, or might not even want to.

Similarly I don't "look down on" people in old scruffy boats -- or up to people in new shiny ones -- because a lot of the people in the scruffy boats are lovely, and some of the people in the shiny boats are a*seholes, and it's nothing to do with how much money they do or don't have. Actually I take that back, there does often seem to be a positive money/a*sehole link, ask any waitress... 😉

As so often, you're showing your prejudices by accusing me of attitudes that I don't hold... 😞

Oh dear I appear to have fallen off your high and mighty lofty 'naughty' step........................................................................................yet again.

Your posts speak volumes about what you think. You don't have to explicitly say things each and every time.

You should also actually read what I post and not what you think I have posted.

I have pointed out Spoons are not perfect many times they serve a purpose though, for people who want to have 'pub meal out' experience but cannot afford to eat out in some poncy pretentious eatery.

Now do your BP a favour and pop me on the step again. LOL

PS going out for a birthday meal now, might be a spoons, might not or we might get a takeaway. So a reply to your response (you know you won't be able to help yourself)  may be a while coming.

Edited by M_JG

Just now, tree monkey said:

There is no roast meat meal that Yorkshires aren't appropriate, a fair few other meals that can only be improved by the inclusion of a decent Pud

Nooooooooooooooooo......

Heresy.

Never ever in this house on Xmas day.

Just now, M_JG said:

Nooooooooooooooooo......

Heresy.

Never ever in this house on Xmas day.

Always, a plate full of roasties and a equally large plate full of yorkies, yum

Unfortunately I've never managed to make a decent Pud, so rely on others to dish the goods