Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It's about eighteen months since I got red gas oil, it was 85p, my problem now is finding a garage.

Since April 2022 red diesel can only be used by agriculture and boats .

So really not much call for it at roadside garages. 

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

I protested at being taken to a Wetherspoon s, I've been three times, first one there was no veggie burgher in stock, another had  issues with lukewarm food, which is a food safety hazard as well as being a waste of money.

They sell a lot of drink, which is always in good order.

My limited experience of Wetherspoons is awful food and awful beer and  stinking vagrants at the bar.

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Still commonly available at 'garages' in the rural areas, but, at our 'local' it is only about 5ppl cheaper than 'white'.

Same around here. Loads of garages sell it.

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

My limited experience of Wetherspoons is awful food and awful beer and  stinking vagrants at the bar.

Not at the bar.

Scattered around the pub one to a table.

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I didnt think propulsion red diesel was taxed to forecourt rates ie white.

I think it will be 60/40 because that is what HMRC want.

I see red being sold off fuel boats at £1.34, I think that the suppliers up here just overcharge because it is not in their interest to have a price war.

Red diesel is £1.25 a litre non propulsion here 

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Still commonly available at 'garages' in the rural areas, but, at our 'local' it is only about 5ppl cheaper than 'white'.

Sounds like the end of red is in sight .

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Much easier having the van on the drive at home to keep an eye on during cold weather than it was with the boat being 50 miles away at the marina!

or even 150+ miles away. We will go Thursday after visiting my daughter

image.png.ac6a2ae1171146f78ad78a6e2e1b1a3f.png

On 03/12/2022 at 11:06, Mike Todd said:

And keep reminding yourself it is all part of Global Warming!

Well, yes it can be or to be more accurate Climate Change.  It is all about extremes of weather happening more frequently it is not just that everywhere is warmer all the time.

On 03/12/2022 at 11:03, matty40s said:

It's been a long time since we had a proper Winter spell, a couple of Beasts from the East is about all we have had in the last 10 years.

Starting from about Wednesday onwards, it really does look more likely that an extended cold spell could hit the UK for the first time since 2010. By next weekend, the temps will struggle to get above freezing in the daytime, and plummet overnight. We will have snow,  how much and how long it lasts is an unknown as yet.

In 2009 I was iced in for 13 weeks, in 2010, 2 months(2 locations in Central London so not quite as cold...slight thaw on 17th December).

There is probably a large amount of boaters havnt seen a winter with the potential of this one so.....

Stock up on coal, gas, diesel.

Get your pumpout asap.

Think about secondary glazing if you dont have double glazing.

Fill your water tank.

Make sure you dont block your vents.

...just a heads up.

Good advice.  Stay warm peeps and be careful around the water.

It certainly has been getting very cold where we are with some hard frosts starting in the evening and lasting until mid-morning some days this week.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, churchward said:

Well, yes it can be or to be more accurate Climate Change.  It is all about extremes of weather happening more frequently it is not just that everywhere is warmer all the time.

I once read an article which pointed out much of the UK was at the same Latitude as Hudson bay and only had a milder climate owing to the gulf Stream/Atlantic conveyor/North Atlantic drift (choose the name which is currently in vogue), it also said the current could be "switched off my the effects of melting ice caps round the north pole.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Even 2008 was quite chilly...

05022009(002)

6 2 09 002

Now I'm going to have to go through my hard drive to see what photos I've got.

The winter of 2007/8 we were in Birmingham when the gennie of our gas free boat packed up. No parts until mid January, meanwhile stuck in ice in the City Centre until it freed enough to allow us to get the Knowle Wharf for the repair.

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Since April 2022 red diesel can only be used by agriculture and boats .

So really not much call for it at roadside garages. 

Well here in the sticks in Wiltshire, the garage on the A346 near Ludgershall still sells red diesel and presumably makes a decent enough turnover to make it worthwhile. 

13 minutes ago, MtB said:

Well here in the sticks in Wiltshire, the garage on the A346 near Ludgershall still sells red diesel and presumably makes a decent enough turnover to make it worthwhile. 

Several of the private garages in our locale dispense red and heating oil. But it is very rural here.

56 minutes ago, churchward said:

Several of the private garages in our locale dispense red and heating oil. But it is very rural here.

I live in rural Cumbria and I can't remember when I last saw a garage selling red.  It never was common I assume because the main use was farms who all had their own tanks.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Jerra said:

I once read an article which pointed out much of the UK was at the same Latitude as Hudson bay and only had a milder climate owing to the gulf Stream/Atlantic conveyor/North Atlantic drift (choose the name which is currently in vogue), it also said the current could be "switched off my the effects of melting ice caps round the north pole.

Yep this is what I've read too. Climate change leads to instability of certain patterns and systems that keep the weather 'in check'. This is also why a generally warming planet has caused some of the coldest winter snaps in states like Illinois, Wisconsin, etc. in the US - The colder the planet (or rather, the areas in the upper hemisphere), the weaker the polar vortex gets. As it gets 'weaker', it gets wider/less tight, which causes these northern states to get blasted by these freezing arctic winds. Just another example of how a generally warming climate can lead to sometimes unintuitive effects on local weather

4 hours ago, sigsegv said:

Yep this is what I've read too. Climate change leads to instability of certain patterns and systems that keep the weather 'in check'. This is also why a generally warming planet has caused some of the coldest winter snaps in states like Illinois, Wisconsin, etc. in the US - The colder the planet (or rather, the areas in the upper hemisphere), the weaker the polar vortex gets. As it gets 'weaker', it gets wider/less tight, which causes these northern states to get blasted by these freezing arctic winds. Just another example of how a generally warming climate can lead to sometimes unintuitive effects on local weather

Polar bears could be as far south as London!!!!  (OK I know that is fanciful but it might help to put some minds into gear with regard to climate change).

• Greenie 1