Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The 3/4 mile long single track lane to our house Christmas 2005

Our road 7th Dec 2010 - not quite as bad but I had a BMW 3 series auto at the time and getting to our house (which is just past the wheelie bin on the left) up the slightest of gradients and over a speed hump was just impossible. It might as well have been a mile away.

It was like that for about a week from memory. Luckily the buses kept running to a reduced timetable so I could still get to work, this being the last winter I was working.

Snow Dec 2010.JPG

Just now, M_JG said:

Our road 7th Dec 2010 - not quite as bad but I had a BMW 3 series auto at the time and getting to our house

BMWs are renowed for their poor handing on wet / muddy / snowy roads.

This was our house being buit at the same time (taken 28/12/05), for some reason the builders decide to take some time off over Christmas.

28-12-05a.JPG

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

BMWs are renowed for their poor handing on wet / muddy / snowy roads.

Being an auto it wouldn't even let you manually select a higher gear to set off in as you do in a manual.

It would just say 'no you are setting off so you need to be in first dummy' and drop back down a cog and start the rear wheels spinning.

Hopeless in the snow, I don't know if the new ones are any better.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Put a collar on the cat, so it can't swallow the robins. Like cormorant fishing.

Peche_cormorans.jpg.bfcf17878b5ed70063ec70c18e444199.jpg

By Photo by Frédéric Lemaréchal, alias Maboko - Originally from fr.wikipedia; description page is/was here., CC BY 1.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1987507

That only works if they swallow them whole

On 03/12/2022 at 13:58, Athy said:

Have they? We had our home heating oil delivery this morning and it cost 3p per litre less than last time, when in turn the oil cost 10p a litre less than the time before. So, 82p per litre now, compared with 95p in spring. Petrol and diesel prices have also steadily fallen over the past months. It's not all doom and gloom.

I'm paying £1.52 for diesel, no split available, and last time it was £1.55 fifty fifty split, so I'm not very happy. Tried to find a source of gas oil in a garage, but no luck so far.

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm paying £1.52 for diesel, no split available, and last time it was £1.55 fifty fifty split, so I'm not very happy. Tried to find a source of gas oil in a garage, but no luck so far.

What do you mean "no Split available" was it 100% domestic of 100% propulsion

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

What do you mean "no Split available" was it 100% domestic of 100% propulsion

I did ask, the answer was "that is the price". I have encountered this before at other places, I assume they submit a 60/40 to HMRC.

I have also been offered all domestic when purchasing from other places, I sometimes am asked to fill in a form, not always.

The forecasts at the moment don't show temperatures dropping too drastically, only a few degrees c below zero here and only for a couple of nights.

Even so the van won't be used for a few weeks now, our next trip is a 5 night trip up the east coast between Christmas and New Year's, so we have fully drained it down and opened all the taps in case we do have a prolonged cold spell.

Much easier having the van on the drive at home to keep an eye on during cold weather than it was with the boat being 50 miles away at the marina!

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

The forecasts at the moment don't show temperatures dropping too drastically, only a few degrees c below zero here and only for a couple of nights.

Even so the van won't be used for a few weeks now, our next trip is a 5 night trip up the east coast between Christmas and New Year's, so we have fully drained it down and opened all the taps in case we do have a prolonged cold spell.

Much easier having the van on the drive at home to keep an eye on during cold weather than it was with the boat being 50 miles away at the marina!

Have you drained the pump and filter fully?

I once forgot when I was leaving the 'van for a while during a cold spell and the pump was still frozen solid when I went to use the 'van again.

Incredibly it didn't split or cause any damage.

I normally disconnect the pipe and filter and give it blast for a few seconds.

Also worth making sure LiFePO4 batteries are not connected to any charging sources when its really cold unless they have heating mats.

Apparently anything near zero C can cause serious damage to the cells if charging is attempted. I reckon this sort of thing could catch out a few people on boats too although generally being on water it won't get that cold inside the hull.

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Also worth making sure LiFePO4 batteries are not connected to any charging sources when its really cold unless they have heating mats.

Apparently anything near zero C can cause serious damage to the cells if charging is attempted. I reckon this sort of thing could catch out a few people on boats too although generally being on water it won't get that cold inside the hull.

Any decent BMS should prevent this, Shirley? 

• Greenie 3

13 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Have you drained the pump and filter fully?

I once forgot when I was leaving the 'van for a while during a cold spell and the pump was still frozen solid when I went to use the 'van again.

Incredibly it didn't split or cause any damage.

I normally disconnect the pipe and filter and give it blast for a few seconds.

Not gone to that extent. The pump is buried deep inside the van so don't expect it will be a problem.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Any decent BMS should prevent this, Shirley? 

And that is what we rely on with ours. 

Although the van won't be plugged in for a few weeks while it's sat on the drive. It will only get plugged in the day before we set off to cool the fridge down.

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

Not gone to that extent. The pump is buried deep inside the van so don't expect it will be a problem.

Ours is in the front under bed locker. So its quite easy to acess by dropping the front flap.

A lot I guess depends on how cold it actually gets and how long its left for.

TBH as a min. I would give it a blast to purge it of any water with the drain open and/or check what the handbook says, you might be OK.

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Based on the lowest 

Based on road diesel prices over £1.80 I would say £1.52 is 60/40 split.

I didnt think propulsion red diesel was taxed to forecourt rates ie white.

I think it will be 60/40 because that is what HMRC want.

I see red being sold off fuel boats at £1.34, I think that the suppliers up here just overcharge because it is not in their interest to have a price war.

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Boiler Juice gasoil price history is interesting.

1619798143_Screenshot2022-12-04at18-01-20RedDiesel_GasOilPriceChart.png.c04ea4ea4743cae26a04973cadba7a28.png

ETA link

https://www.boilerjuice.com/red-diesel-prices/

That is probably at the agricultural duty rate of 5% and excludes VAT.

Edit - yes it is their website goes onto say that for leisure boats the full rate of duty must be paid if it for propulsion.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It's about eighteen months since I got red gas oil, it was 85p, my problem now is finding a garage.

And then transporting the diesel back to the boat?

unless you drive

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

And then transporting the diesel back to the boat?

unless you drive

I used to use the garage at Clivigar on the Burnley road from Todmorden. 
Was the best I could find at the time. 

• Happy 1