Winter, coming soon, stock up.

matty40s

Featured Posts

It does seem quite a long time since I last shovelled snow to clear the pavement outside our house. We've had at least two mild winters in a row (we didn't even light the fire in the lounge last Christmas) so I suppose that by the law of averages we're due for something harsher.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

It's been a long time since we had a proper Winter spell, a couple of Beasts from the East is about all we have had in the last 10 years.

Starting from about Wednesday onwards, it really does look more likely that an extended cold spell could hit the UK for the first time since 2010. By next weekend, the temps will struggle to get above freezing in the daytime, and plummet overnight. We will have snow,  how much and how long it lasts is an unknown as yet.

In 2009 I was iced in for 13 weeks, in 2010, 2 months(2 locations in Central London so not quite as cold...slight thaw on 17th December).

There is probably a large amount of boaters havnt seen a winter with the potential of this one so.....

Stock up on coal, gas, diesel.

Get your pumpout asap.

Think about secondary glazing if you dont have double glazing.

Fill your water tank.

Make sure you dont block your vents.

...just a heads up.

I've not been aware of this, thanks for update, I'm due to get gas, diesel, coal etc, on Monday, and if I'm going to be iced in, I'll be at the Services, serendipity :)

at the services

at the Services!

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A bit late for stocking up. prices have shot up already.

Have they? We had our home heating oil delivery this morning and it cost 3p per litre less than last time, when in turn the oil cost 10p a litre less than the time before. So, 82p per litre now, compared with 95p in spring. Petrol and diesel prices have also steadily fallen over the past months. It's not all doom and gloom.

22 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A bit late for stocking up. prices have shot up already. The shops will be out of loo rolls soon.

And don't even think turkey.

Some farmers have decided to kill turkeys early in case they get bird flu, these will be sold as frozen turkey's. If you want a fresh bird order from a good butcher, but it's a bit of a lottery.

PS don't go to a Wetherspoon for Xmas dinner, the mash is cold, the peas are old, and the turkey does not resemble the photo which is of nice hand sliced meat. The gravy is very hot, and that's all. It's £9.99 for a meal which is pretty awful.

I had two of my companion's chips, they were lukewarm.

Edited by LadyG

My boarding school, we got cut off from the rest of the world and were running out of food. It got to the stage where the RAF were going to parachute supplies to us. Much to the dismay of us boys a farmer managed to get supplies to us with his tractor. We boys could have killed him.

1965.jpg

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Some farmers have decided to kill turkeys early in case they get bird flu, these will be sold as frozen turkey's. If you want a fresh bird order from a good butcher, but it's a bit of a lottery.

PS don't go to a Wetherspoon for Xmas dinner, the mash is cold, the peas are old, and the turkey does not resemble the photo which is of nice hand sliced meat. The gravy is very hot, and that's all. It's £9.99 for a meal which is pretty awful.

I had two of my companion's chips, they were lukewarm.

You were unlucky we had a great one the other Friday, it's the luck of the draw I am afraid. 

11 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You were unlucky we had a great one the other Friday, it's the luck of the draw I am afraid. 

I protested at being taken to a Wetherspoon s, I've been three times, first one there was no veggie burgher in stock, another had  issues with lukewarm food, which is a food safety hazard as well as being a waste of money.

They sell a lot of drink, which is always in good order.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

If you can't get a turkey, roast some robins on an open fire. It's much more Christmassy. 🎅

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The cats have eaten them all !!

Put a collar on the cat, so it can't swallow the robins. Like cormorant fishing.

Peche_cormorans.jpg.bfcf17878b5ed70063ec70c18e444199.jpg

By Photo by Frédéric Lemaréchal, alias Maboko - Originally from fr.wikipedia; description page is/was here., CC BY 1.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1987507

• Greenie 1