Reliable Internet Solution Needed for Video Calls While CCing

Motters79

Featured Posts

Just now, IanD said:

I'm well aware of that. Many people own a mobile phone but don't actually understand how it works.

Do you think that the RUTX12 (and your Teltonika?) just does rapid switchover, or that -- as the video erroneously claims -- it can use both SIMs at the same time?

The difference is you said "And yet you fail to realise how the Teltonika dual-SIM routers actually function". How did you determine that?

Just now, rusty69 said:

The difference is you said "And yet you fail to realise how the Teltonika dual-SIM routers actually function". How did you determine that?

Because that was what was suggested by your reply, and every subsequent one.

So do you think that the RUTX12 (and your Teltonika?) just does rapid switchover, or that -- as the video erroneously claims -- it can use both SIMs at the same time?

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Because that was what was suggested by your reply, and every subsequent one.

So do you think that the RUTX12 (and your Teltonika?) just does rapid switchover, or that -- as the video erroneously claims -- it can use both SIMs at the same time?

Show me where I suggested that please. Be specific and quote my words.

Now you are asking me what I think, as opposed to what you think I think.

For the record, I haven't watched the video, and know exactly how the dual sim setup on my RUT 955 works.

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Show me where I suggested that please. Be specific and quote my words.

Now you are asking me what I think, as opposed to what you think I think.

<sigh>

The OP posted a video about the RUTX12 which said how great it was because it could use both SIMs at the same time.

After some unhelpful sniping, you posted that you'd got a dual-SIM Teltonika too, and then that you knew how it worked because you'd had one for years -- effectively claiming that you're "an expert", which is the dig you used at me.

So I'm going to keep trying to find out if you actually *do* understand how a dual-SIM router works, and specifically the RUTX12 -- because if you actually know, you'll be happy to say what you believe, surely?

So do you believe that the RUTX12 (and your Teltonika?) just does rapid switchover, or that it can use both SIMs at the same time?

Come on, put your "expert" chops up against mine, let's see who's right 😉

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Sorry @Motters79 . I will bow out of your thread now. Hope you get it sorted.

That's a shame, we might all have learned something from your extensive experience... 😉

Edited by IanD

37 minutes ago, IanD said:

Don't believe everything that you see on the internet... 😉

I too looked at the RUTX12 earlier this year in the belief that if could use both modems at the same time, and it turns out notto be true.

All the "two modems" means is that it can do rapid failover switching when the one in use drops the signal -- which is pretty much what any dual-SIM router/AP can do.  

Well I had no idea I was gonna start a fight 😂

All I know is you both know a lot more about these things than me but I'm learning and beginning to see the wood for the trees, but is all a bit bamboozling....so back to the topic...

That is a shame if it cant use both Networks. This is an exerpt from an online retailer whos selling the RUTX12 which also seems to indicate that it can use both as they say:

"The Teltonika RUTX12 provides peace of mind with seamless connectivity redundancy through Dual-SIM failover or load balancing with dual LTE" 

Are they being misleading when they say"or load balancing with LTE?

12 minutes ago, MtB said:

As if anyone on here gives a toss....

Especially as it seems general opinion was that there was no terrestrial option that would work everywhere and even the expensive satellite system would have problems with tree cover etc. This seemed to have been sorted on the first page of posts. However, I accept the OP may not find the answer acceptable.

Edited by Tony Brooks

49 minutes ago, Motters79 said:

Well I had no idea I was gonna start a fight 😂

All I know is you both know a lot more about these things than me but I'm learning and beginning to see the wood for the trees, but is all a bit bamboozling....so back to the topic...

That is a shame if it cant use both Networks. This is an exerpt from an online retailer whos selling the RUTX12 which also seems to indicate that it can use both as they say:

"The Teltonika RUTX12 provides peace of mind with seamless connectivity redundancy through Dual-SIM failover or load balancing with dual LTE" 

Are they being misleading when they say"or load balancing with LTE?

Yes. The information from Teltonika is unclear and various vendors have misinterpreted it. The RUTX12 indeed does have 2 modems so it can do load balancing, but it can't actually use both at the same time to increase data rates for a single client like a computer, which is what you normally want on a boat. This is better than a normal dual-SIM router which has a primary SIM, and switches to the secondary one if the data rate falls too low or the signal disappears, but it's still not able to use both at the same time unless you have several clients (e.g. multiple computers), each client -- or each connection, to be more accurate -- can only use one network.

This is mainly intended for getting more total data capacity for a multi-computer LAN in good signal conditions, for example you might get 20Mbps from Three and 20Mbps for EE, total 40Mbps. But any one PC (or streaming box, or anything else) could only get 20Mbps -- actually not quite true, 2 connections on the same PC (e.g. streaming + a file download) could each use 20Mbps. It doesn't help in poor signal areas when one network is likely to have worse signal and low data rates, and it doesn't help at all where the problem is low data rates for one client e.g. video remote working, internet access, downloads.

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/LTE_Bonding_vs_Load_Balancing

55 minutes ago, MtB said:

You could conduct an argument in an empty room, to paraphrase the well known aphorism. 

Perhaps. I also don't like people who snipe and post BS, you're obviously more tolerant... 😉

xkcd.png

Edited by IanD
corrected RUTX12 explanation

22 minutes ago, IanD said:

I didn't start the argument, unlike somebody else I was trying to help the poster.

More priceless hypocrisy.

People used to say I was argumentative and combative (some still do) but Jeeze you take it to another level and one more.

41 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Especially as it seems general opinion was that there was no terrestrial option that would work everywhere and even the expensive satellite system would have problems with tree cover etc. This seemed to have been sorted on the first page of posts. However, I accept the OP may not find the answer acceptable.

There is no solution that will give internet access *everywhere*, especially with good data rates.

A good mobile solution (router + external antenna, preferably 5G, preferably 4x4 MIMO) will work in most places, but not where there's no mobile coverage -- which are not that common on the canals, but do exist. Being under trees reduces signal level, this often just reduces data rates (otherwise mobiles wouldn't work indoors) but can sometimes kill the signal entirely.

Starlink is much more expensive (especially per month!) and power-hungry but will work anywhere with a decent view of the sky, including rural areas where mobile coverage is poor or zero -- and the data rates are high everywhere that it works. But because the satellite signal is weak, obstructions like trees will usually kill the signal entirely, even in places where a mobile might still work.

Edited by IanD
removed pointless argument postings...

Just now, IanD said:

xkcd.png

Yup that's you to a Tee.....

Still, not back on your childishly and pathetically named 'naughty step'.

My life is complete.

LOL

40 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I totally accept that there will always be places where the signal is weak or even non existent. I simply want to be the best setup possible for my gf to be able to spend as much time working from the boat as possible. She's willing to spend the monies and so I have been tasked with doing the research and setup. 

I don't have much knowledge about these things. My simple setup has always been adequate so I havent had do delve into it before. All the the comment  - bar recent argy bargy - have helped a lot, so thanks everyone

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Motters79 said:

I totally accept that there will always be places where the signal is weak or even non existent. I simply want to be the best setup possible for my gf to be able to spend as much time working from the boat as possible. She's willing to spend the monies and so I have been tasked with doing the research and setup. 

I don't have much knowledge about these things. My simple setup has always been adequate so I havent had do delve into it before. All the the comment  - bar recent argy bargy - have helped a lot, so thanks everyone

If what you've got now (mobile-based) is adequate then you could undoubtedly make it better with a new router/antenna, Starlink seems like massive overkill as well as being silly money -- but even a new router/antenna which would give a decent improvement over what you've got is also expensive now, I'd suggest waiting until prices for 5G 4x4 MIMO come down before upgrading.

53 minutes ago, IanD said:

Perhaps. I also don't like people who snipe and post BS, you're obviously more tolerant... 😉

Perhaps you mean like this BS statement you made:

And yet you fail to realise how the Teltonika dual-SIM routers actually function.

Damn, I said i was gonna bow out. Now that was BS.

Edited by rusty69

49 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Perhaps you mean like this BS statement you made:

Damn, I said i was gonna bow out. Now that was BS.

It's possible I misinterpreted what you said -- and if I did, I apologise. See?

The fact remains that many people are under a misapprehension about how dual-SIM routers work, and more specifically the RUTX12, and this isn't helped by postings (like the video) which just propagate something that's wrong. Anyone who buys one (and they're not cheap!) expecting to get better download speeds or streaming or video calls will be disappointed, because they won't -- they're not even intended for single-user networks like a house or a boat, they're intended for corporate use with a heap of PCs all plugged into the network *and* where are are two good cellular network connections to get double the bandwidth that one can provide.

The only way to get better data rates for roaming applications like a boat is a better router -- dual-SIM if you're willing to pay for two SIMs -- and a better external antenna (and short cables!), I made a couple of suggestions but of course there are alternatives... 🙂

Edited by IanD

On 03/12/2022 at 12:49, DShK said:

RUTX11 + QuSpot + a decent wireless access point works well for me

The QuSpot contains the router and the antenna outside the boat, and pipes in connection inside the boat to the wireless access point. The advantage of this is that you don't get signal losses over the cable between the antenna and the router, as with a typical setup.

You can power the router over the ethernet cable with one of these https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/18090-mikrotik-rbgpoe/

I use the Netgear WAX214 as an access point.

How long have you been using the QuSpot? Has it been in all weathers yet? Im thinking its a good solution apart from the security issue and I'm a little concerned that the router could potentially overheat in the height of summer. 

I can only assume you've had no trouble in that area as you seem to rate it highly.

Do you know if you can monitor the device operating temp through the interface?