Transiting from The Wash to Gt. Yarmouth in a narrowboat.

Mythirdone

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Mythirdone said:

Has anyone ever transited from The Wash to Gt. Yarmouth/Lowestoft by narrowboat? Is it even possible?

I'm not asking if it is recommended - I know it isn't. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done it.

You asked this in March and said you were going to do it.

22 minutes ago, M_JG said:

You asked this in March and said you were going to do it.

At least this time it is only half the distance by Sea - Gt Yarmouth to Lowestoft would be an extra day run a NB speeds.

Boston to Gt Yarmouth is 66nm

Gt Yarmouth to Lowestoft is 60nm

You would be going against the tide for half of EACH leg and whilst the tide would assist for part of the time, you may be going backwards for some of the time as well.

Legally there is nothing to stop you doing it in a bath-tub if you wanted.

12 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Shellfen crossing the Wash, photo from Roger Lorenz's collection.

Wash, Shell Fen 640.jpg

Was that "simply" crossing the Wash or all the way down to Yarmouth / Lowestoft ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

46 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

At least this time it is only half the distance by Sea - Gt Yarmouth to Lowestoft would be an extra day run a NB speeds.

You would be going against the tide for half of EACH leg and whilst the tide would assist for part of the time, you may be going backwards for some of the time as well.

Errrrr...huh?

54 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Just across the Wash, though the L&LC boat Mersey did go all the way round to the Thames.

Ditchcrawler just let me know about one other person who did it. So, it seems two boats have made it.

I suppose going further to the Thames would be much the same as the trip from The Wash to Gt. Yarmouth - just longer.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure? They're on the same bit of coast twelve miles apart!  

I remember a report in Waterways World years ago of someone who tried in I think an old Springer. He got part way round the coast when the weather turned nasty, the engine power was insufficient, and he was being washed towards the shore. The lifeboat was called and the bloke rescued, but they couldn't do anything for the boat which was washed up onto the beach where it was pounded by the waves until the storm died down. All that was left was the steel shell and engine, the windows having been broken and the wooden fitout turned to matchwood, including I remember, a full size piano.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Wasn't it later on that trip there was an incident with a half tide weir?

Yes up the Gipping

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

They use to take hire boats out of Lowestoft into Yarmouth as it was much quicker than going vis the broads. I once helped a chap move his yacht from Lowestoft to Yarmouth. After spending a couple of hours opposite the pier we turnd round and went back into harbour. I didn't plan the trip.

1 hour ago, Mythirdone said:

Ditchcrawler just let me know about one other person who did it. So, it seems two boats have made it.

I suppose going further to the Thames would be much the same as the trip from The Wash to Gt. Yarmouth - just longer.

When you leave the Wash you are committed until you reach Yarmouth

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

including I remember, a full size piano.

I wonder how they got that aboard a standard springer.

There is a piano boat in London that has a grand piano on board, but it’s a custom built wide beam with a massive pigeon box that can be opened to crane the piano on and off. 

2 hours ago, Mythirdone said:

Errrrr...huh?

Have you done much time on tidal waters ?

'High tide' to 'high tide' is roughly 12 hours

Between 'high tide' and 'high tide' is 'low tide'

So as it could take 20 hours to do 60nM in a NB you go  from high tide with the tide on the ebb for 6 hours, so the tide is going with you, for the next 6 hours the tide will turn and be in 'flood' & flowing against you and you will make little headway. Then the tide turns to be 'with you; then the last few hours you will be battling against the ebb.

Check the todal atlas for the Southern North Sea and yoiu can see the tidal direction and flow speed hour by hour.

Typical tidal chart for Great yarmouth :

See the source image

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Sorry - yes - the plotter had an abberation and as as we have become used to relying on instruments I took it as being correct.

Should have known, we've done the trip enough times.

My bad !

25 minutes ago, booke23 said:

I wonder how they got that aboard a standard springer.

There is a piano boat in London that has a grand piano on board, but it’s a custom built wide beam with a massive pigeon box that can be opened to crane the piano on and off. 

Plenty of boats with pianos on them, Bones (writes for one of the canal mags) has one, BIX had one, so did Elizabeth.

I decided against a piano, so just stuck an 88 key synth in.

20221130_195357.jpg

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Legally there is nothing to stop you doing it in a bath-tub if you wanted.

Was that "simply" crossing the Wash or all the way down to Yarmouth / Lowestoft ?

Great Yarmouth to Lowestoft is actually more like 10 miles or so depending on where each berth is located. 

Howard

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

When you leave the Wash you are committed until you reach Yarmouth

Do you reckon you could put in at Wells or Blakeney? If so, it might allow for hanging around until the weather was stable. Would make an interesting sight in the estuary for people on the trip to see the seals!

Alec

Never done it in a narrowboat, but I have done it a number of times in a sailing boat from Wells to Lowerstoft, and then on to the Thames estuary.

I personally would not attempt it in a narrowboat, but given the right weather window, I'm sure it could be done. There is a brand new lifeboat at Wells this year, and for good reason. 

Putting to sea in an unsuitable boat is pretty irresponsible in my view if other options are available. 

Blakeney Harbour and Wells are accessible, but with an ever shifting entrance. The harbour association do a good job of maintaining the buoys at Blakeney as does the harbour master and commissioners at Wells .

It's also possible to visit Thornham, Brancaster and Burnham Overy. I have heard of people anchoring behind the artificial reef at Sea Palling too, given the right conditions, but never tried it.

The North Norfolk coast is home to many small fishing boats who's lobster and crab pots can present a serious fouling risk to the unwary. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 2

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I personally would not attempt it in a narrowboat, but given the right weather window, I'm sure it could be done. There is a brand new lifeboat at Wells this year, and for good reason. 

Putting to sea in an unsuitable boat is pretty irresponsible in my view if other options are available. 

We came out of Wells on a lovely day and as we got to the West Cardinal buoy hit the worst 'seas' I think we've ever sailed thru, Wind over tide and it was horrendous as the waves hit the shallower water - we spent about 1 hour under power & literally not moving - it is the only time that the dog has been sea-sick.

I was not confident that we could turn around and being beam-on to that sea could have been disasterous.

And that it in a Category A (Ocean) rated boat.

As the tide changed we eventually started to make ground and a couple of miles later were back into smooth water and a lovely August "Summers day".

It was the time when some (up to a kilometre long) oil pipes destined for the Middle East had fallen off a ship and floating (partially submerged) around the North Sea, we passed a couple under tow by recovery tugs.

IMG-2520.jpg

@rusty69 Remember this picture that you got of us entering the harbour (from the harbour camera)

5 Years ago - doesn't time fly.

Cat-png-98f59c0f3458345991f0b0615fd7a7de.png