A painting to identify

Heartland

Featured Posts

I like Hooper's style. But it does appear he has taken images from memory and built scenarios from them, rather than study details and accuracies. The person on the barge is holding a stick, or is it a pole. We cannot see. The barge has a cabin, but is it the fore end, or the aft? The bow, or stern appears to be similar to a Tjalk, but the fore end (if it is that) is innaccurate. If the stern, also innaccurate - where is the huge tiller and rudder? And the lock appears very small for a trading Tjalk.

It's a painting, by an artist. It doesn't have to be anywhere in particular, and if there are several of his paintings done with a similar 'theme', then it all looks to be art for arts sake. Any resemblance to reality will be taken from certain elements that are common to a pretty waterside picture; trees, meadows, a lock, a boat, maybe some building and some people for scale and interest. A Meccano set from a paintbrush. I like them.

• Greenie 1

It would seem that the consensus is that Hooper painted from memory, There is a distinction here between paintings and watercolours where th latter were often made looking at the subject, or am I wrong ?

The first post relates to a painting for sale at the Antiques Show at the NEC last week.

17 minutes ago, Heartland said:

It would seem that the consensus is that Hooper painted from memory, There is a distinction here between paintings and watercolours where th latter were often made looking at the subject, or am I wrong ?

The first post relates to a painting for sale at the Antiques Show at the NEC last week.

watercolour is a quick drying medium so yes, more likely perhaps to have been used out in the open looking at the subject and then used as a reference for working in oils in a studio 

and I agree the paintings of the locks we’ve been looking at were probably done in a studio from drawings and sketches but Hooper was clearly influenced later by the impressionists who took oils outside and plein air become the fashion. You can see it in his other work.  

If you want detail and accuracy in some artwork you can’t beat Walter Langley for brilliance with both water colour and oils done plein air. 
He was contemporary with Hooper and painted life in St Ives Cornwall. 
And he was from Birmingham, so top bloke. 👍

There was also David Cox, who produced some useful material

And at one time I was interested in the works of Nathaniel Neal Solly who was associated with slate quarries in North Wales and ironmaking in South Staffordshire and seems to have painted as hobby after retiring from the iron trade when Willenhall Furnaces were closed.

5 hours ago, Heartland said:

There was also David Cox, who produced some useful material

And at one time I was interested in the works of Nathaniel Neal Solly who was associated with slate quarries in North Wales and ironmaking in South Staffordshire and seems to have painted as hobby after retiring from the iron trade when Willenhall Furnaces were closed.

Two new names for me. 
I’ll have a look for the David Cox paintings in Birmingham Art Gallery next time I pass through. 
It appears Solly was from Stone, I like his paintings of plants. 

👍

David Cox did produce a variety of pictures, and there are some in the Art Gallery, but it is closed for a long time at present. BMAG have never given a satisfactory reason why though.

Here is a David Cox picture, and can you guess where it is and what the industrial features are?

It is accurate as to location and the two types of boat seen in the picture.

DCox.jpg

Edited by Heartland

You must have been on the Holdens

Yes it is Dudley and the view seems to be from the Junction at Tipton looking towards the tunnel. The smaller craft was typical of the boats that went into the limestone tunnels.

There are limekilns on the left.

3 minutes ago, Heartland said:

You must have been on the Holdens

Yes it is Dudley and the view seems to be from the Junction at Tipton looking towards the tunnel. The smaller craft was typical of the boats that went into the limestone tunnels.

There are limekilns on the left.

‘Naughty and Nice’ from Vocation 🤪

I wouldn’t  have guessed a view from Tipton. I was thinking perhaps the other end of the tunnel, other side of hill. 
But I guess that’d put the castle on the wrong of picture. 

18 minutes ago, Heartland said:

To see the castle from Parkhead would have been a remarkable feat of eyesight, or are you recalling the original part of Lord Wards tunnel to Castle Mill Basin ?

no, you’ve lost me there, that’s something I’ll have to look up. 

I think I thought it might have been over Netherton way?? windmill end area??
but you can’t see the castle at all from there, can you?

That is another interesting image which also seem to show one of the craft used for transporting limestone.

As to the Castle at Dudley there are only certain points where it can be seen owing to the hilly nature of the town.

Another Cox painting to exercise the little grey cells-

JCox1.jpg

Edited by Heartland