Leaking water pipe

YSA

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

Do you mean the valve was fully opened and you have  moved it from that position? If so you have have the pump sucking air in through the gland on the valve. If you shut the pump down does the leak from the valve look worse? If so, try fully opting the valve and see if the leak reduces.

If its taking baldly, shut off the pump and fully close the valve and just open it when you want to use water (a nuisance but it limits water damage until you can get the valve repaired/replaced).

In any case I would get a spanner and tighten the gland nut (shown circled in your original post).

the valve was almost closed - it was rotated almost all the way clockwise, and I turned it anti-clockwise. 

I've just tightened the nut gland and will have a look and see if the leak is better now that the pump is turned off.

tightening the nut gland has made the valve much harder to turn - have i put the spanner on the wrong bit?!

5 minutes ago, YSA said:

the valve was almost closed - it was rotated almost all the way clockwise, and I turned it anti-clockwise. 

I've just tightened the nut gland and will have a look and see if the leak is better now that the pump is turned off.

tightening the nut gland has made the valve much harder to turn - have i put the spanner on the wrong bit?!

I doubt it, That is what I would expect when you tighten a gland, maybe you over tightened it a bit.

ok, so i've loosened it a little, turned the water pump back on and after a little bit of noise it's stopped and now seems to be fine! I'm going to leave it for today and find somewhere else to have a shower tomorrow, and will add getting the valve changed to the list of things to on the boat! 😅

thanks for your help everyone! 😀

56 minutes ago, YSA said:

ok, so i've loosened it a little, turned the water pump back on and after a little bit of noise it's stopped and now seems to be fine! I'm going to leave it for today and find somewhere else to have a shower tomorrow, and will add getting the valve changed to the list of things to on the boat! 😅

thanks for your help everyone! 😀

This is the NUT

image.png.41df9422ab9fa2f4af1c25a1ccd57302.png

4 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Make sure you ask if it is ok for you to sit on someone's shoulder whilst they work. It never really bothered me as I had sufficient confidence in my ability, but in such a small awkward space it might not be practical especially if there is some hammering, bending and cutting involved which may look savage to the untrained eye.

Yes that's true. But I'd want to watch a bit of it at least.

I'd drain the tank, clean off the visible bit of the spindle, close the valve, unscrew the nut, tie a couple of dozen turns of PTFE tape around the exposed spindle, and tighten the nut back up, partially fill the tank and test.  Until I could change the valve. I'm assuming that the spindle seal is separate from the valve seal. I've not seen that exact valve before.

10 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I'd drain the tank, clean off the visible bit of the spindle, close the valve, unscrew the nut, tie a couple of dozen turns of PTFE tape around the exposed spindle, and tighten the nut back up, partially fill the tank and test.  Until I could change the valve. I'm assuming that the spindle seal is separate from the valve seal. I've not seen that exact valve before.

I'd leave well alone now it all works and doesn't leak.

Unless the OP like mending things that work, and may not work afterwards. 

Never mind that ghastly American expression illustrating the point, I prefer the old biking expression. "My motorbike was working fine, but I kept mending it until it wasn't...

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/11/2022 at 12:02, YSA said:

I'm pretty sure there isn't anything that can be tightened! I'm in London at the moment and my closest marina is springfield, so I'll give them a call. Thanks!

There is a London Facebook group which is often recommended.

If you find a good fitter, familiar with boats y ou may have a list of things that need sorted, take the opportunity to get things sorted.

As others have said, this looks a fairly straightforward job but boats can throw out challenges. 

At this time of year stoves are in use 24/7. Use the search function top right, for useful posts.

I'd be thinking about using this opportunity to drain and flush the water tank.

A lot depends on how good the fitter is, how much time he has available.

Edited by LadyG