2l2 external oil pressure gauge

crosser

Featured Posts

"Flush" mount by cutting a hole in the pigeon box?

Or something like a brass one monted separately on the top?

I've regularly seen examples of either.

Do you care if it needs a brass pipe run to it from the engine?  Or can you use an electric one with a matching pressure sensor at the engine end?

thanks for your replys...   really want a surface mounted gauge so i dont need to cut a hole in the box...   ive found one on ebay that says water pressure gauge and goes upto 120psi,,its solid brass...  any reason a water pressure gauge couldnt be used?  cheers

It depends what the bourdon tube in the gauge is made of.  Provided that is happy with oil in it, it will be ok.

That said,  a max pressure of 120 psi seems a bit high.  Good practice is to have normal operating pressure at about half scale.  I don't know the normal oil pressure for an L2 but I would be surprised if it were as high as 50-60 psi.

N

14 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

What size gauge do you want and what range, 120 psi may be too high?

Tere are some on Amazon, 100mm dial, stainless case 0/60 psi?

image.png.16652edfdb7a97b09e6b87825a42307e.png

Am I being dense,  but why is it apparently nearly filled by some fluid?

At 100mm dial, that's surely too big to attach to a typical pigeon box.  My ones both simply pass through a hole in the engine room roof, which I suggest is the more normal arrangement.

26 minutes ago, BEngo said:

It depends what the bourdon tube in the gauge is made of.  Provided that is happy with oil in it, it will be ok.

That said,  a max pressure of 120 psi seems a bit high.  Good practice is to have normal operating pressure at about half scale.  I don't know the normal oil pressure for an L2 but I would be surprised if it were as high as 50-60 psi.

N

8 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

At 100mm dial, that's surely too big to attach to a typical pigeon box.  My ones both simply pass through a hole in the engine room roof, which I suggest is the more normal arrangement.

Damping?

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

My ones both simply pass through a hole in the engine room roof, which I suggest is the more normal arrangement.

My understanding is that pigeon boxes were traditionally removable. Thus, an external oil pressure gauge wouldn't be fixed to one. Also a vague memory of reading that the box often belonged to the crew, rather than the boat and moved with them if they changed boat.

10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Glycerine filled gauges are common. the liquid damps the mechanism, reducing wear and providing a stable riding if the pressure is fluctuating.  Regarding the size, it depends on what the OP wants to do (I am not a mind reader). A very small gauge  (say 40mm) fitted to the top of the pigeon box is ok but hard to read due to size at the expected distance form the steering position. If a gauge is fitted to the roof adjacent to the end of the pigeon box rather than on top of the box then it can be bigger (and easier to read). The gauge is showed was an example for he OP to consider, that's all.

2 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Glycerine filled gauges are common. the liquid damps the mechanism, reducing wear and providing a stable riding if the pressure is fluctuating.

Fair enough, but looks odd to my eye.

If it's intentional wouldn't it look better if full, rather than part full

5 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

My understanding is that pigeon boxes were traditionally removable. Thus, an external oil pressure gauge wouldn't be fixed to one. Also a vague memory of reading that the box often belonged to the crew, rather than the boat and moved with them if they changed boat.

All quite correct, I think - I believe you would struggle to find many pictures  of a gauge inserted to, o mounted on an engine room pigeon box in genuine ex working boat days.

I've not thought about it before, but I;'m wondering how common external oil pressure gauges were when the boats worked for a living. 

Edited by alan_fincher

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Fair enough, but looks odd to my eye.

If it's intentional wouldn't it look better if full, rather than part full

The gauges are not filled completely as they would then be subject to internal pressure changes caused by the fluid changing volume when the ambient temperature changes. This would them change the reading of the gauge. In the extreme this fluid expansion could cause the case to fail.