C&RT License Survey

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Because I was out a lot this year and the system is in rag order! Tinsley flight especially, trees blocking the canal for a widebeam especially if they don't have a wheelhouse. Sections of piling collapsed and have been getting worse for years. Landing stages falling to pieces, water shortages that arnt going to get better with increasing temperatures. Our visitors moorings at Eastwood have turned into a little village no room for  real visitors anymore! Shall I go on?

If you must. Still don't think you'll give up your nice setup for a cramped crusier on the Broads, or a much more cramped and less comfortable motorhome, I think you're just having a good old moan... 😉

(yes I know RVs like the big Hymers are good, my mum drove one round Europe for years -- but compared to your widebeam, they're a cold shoebox...)

55 minutes ago, IanD said:

If you must. Still don't think you'll give up your nice setup for a cramped crusier on the Broads, or a much more cramped and less comfortable motorhome, I think you're just having a good old moan... 😉

(yes I know RVs like the big Hymers are good, my mum drove one round Europe for years -- but compared to your widebeam, they're a cold shoebox...)

Another one talking nonsense on here this evening.

10 hours ago, IanD said:

46 x 12 Broads cruisers are big enough way bigger than a narrowboat anyway and the usable space is where they win.

As for the campervan we have one so know its size, but could fancy something bigger which I would build

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have looked up AMANT under both the English usage and 'urban slang' and find either :

First conjugation, third person plural "They love" (for those that learned Latin at school).

Amo, amas, amat, amamis, amatis, amant.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

First conjugation, third person plural "They love" (for those that learned Latin at school).

I did wonder if anyone would pick that up 🙂  (I did Latin at school too, bored me silly...)

(but the acronym starting "All Mouth..." that somebody found earlier was what I actually meant...)

It's the equivalent of people blustering things like "If Labour get in I'll leave the country" (pick party/event of your choice) and then doing precisely nothing when it happens -- it's just moaning and whinging (albeit with justification).

I can understand people who genuinely live and CC all the time round the entire system on a narrowboat being so hacked off with stoppages and poor maintenance and mooring restrictions/CMers that they give up and go back to a more comfortable and convenient life on land, because every day is becoming less pleasant.

I very much doubt that someone like Peter on a nice permanent mooring with compost heap, allotment, an EV that is "perfik", on a big comfy electric wideboat with loads of solar and a generator and a composting toilet, that all costs little to run, and who only spends a small part of the year cruising will do so -- yes the stoppages and so on are a pain when moving, but will have no effect most of the time when moored at home.

Of course I might be wrong -- let's wait and see... 😉

Edited by IanD

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Yes boring.

Knew someone once who was prone to quoting Latin.

His nickname was Nurdus Cretinious. 🐸

21 hours ago, peterboat said:

Our visitors moorings at Eastwood have turned into a little village no room for  real visitors anymore! Shall I go on?

Shame. That was a handy mooring before tackling the trip to Sheffield the next day. Can you still get electric hook up there?

33 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Shame. That was a handy mooring before tackling the trip to Sheffield the next day. Can you still get electric hook up there?

Are they the ones at Sir Frank Price Lock?

If so that's a shame, I was planning to stop there on the boat delivery trip from Sheffield to Middlewich next spring... 😞

4 hours ago, IanD said:

If so that's a shame, I was planning to stop there on the boat delivery trip from Sheffield to Middlewich next spring... 😞

Yes, those are the ones. We stopped there on our first night night on our maiden voyage after leaving Sheffield. I would recommend spending a couple of nights in Sheffield basin first and sussing out any snagging issues with the systems. It's then easy to go back to the yard to get them sorted. Ricky was very happy with that arrangement.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, IanD said:

I am having a word with the licence checker to see what the score is, last week the Exol pride couldn't get on the CRT/commercial moorings for all the boats he ended up moored with bow in the lock entrance and stern right out in the middle. 

43 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Yes, those are the ones. We stopped there on our first night night on our maiden voyage after leaving Sheffield. I would recommend spending a couple of nights in Sheffield basin first and sussing out any snagging issues with the systems. It's then easy to go back to the yard to get them sorted. Ricky was very happy with that arrangement.

That's already Ricky's plan, take the boat out for a day or two to test everything out and see if anything needs fixing or adding, then back to the yard for at least couple of weeks before final pickup -- maybe repeat the process for a last snagging check. I'm in no desperate hurry to get the boat away as fast as possible, we'd both rather make sure everything works properly first. There are also some things on the boat that Ricky hasn't tried before so it's always possible some tweaking or modifications will be needed... 🙂

I'll then be taking the boat up from Sheffield and probably over the Rochdale to Middlewich, should be about a 12 day trip. Going by Canalplan the section from Sheffield up to Leeds hasn't got that many decent moorings for visitors, so it'll be annoying if CMers are squatting on them... 😞

(and I will of course be asking for local advice nearer the time...)

13 minutes ago, IanD said:

That's already Ricky's plan, take the boat out for a day or two to test everything out and see if anything needs fixing or adding, then back to the yard for at least couple of weeks before final pickup -- maybe repeat the process for a last snagging check. I'm in no desperate hurry to get the boat away as fast as possible, we'd both rather make sure everything works properly first. There are also some things on the boat that Ricky hasn't tried before so it's always possible some tweaking or modifications will be needed... 🙂

I'll then be taking the boat up from Sheffield and probably over the Rochdale to Middlewich, should be about a 12 day trip. Going by Canalplan the section from Sheffield up to Leeds hasn't got that many decent moorings for visitors, so it'll be annoying if CMers are squatting on them... 😞

Plenty of moorings Ian, flight will be 4-5 hours to Rotherham town lock, if you need shopping either Rotherham railway station for Lidls and Tesco's,  parkgate for morrisons and Asda lock for Asda's! Should easily get to pastures where the pub has a not bad pint and food. If you get to Sprotborough, boat Inn, or Indian at top of hill is excellent, beyond Indian is a Sam Smith's pub if it's open can't remember name.

Doncaster town moorings ok and city is ok. Plenty of moorings after that just tie up to pilings it's all safe enough all way to castleford, yes even your home town where its turn right for Selby I have moored in safety. Castleford to Coopers bridge was ok apart from Dewsbury, we had a look down the arm but it was no room at the inn so we continued going. I love our big open waters with generally safe places to stay

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, IanD said:

Lots of moorings Ian but I've never ventured past Doncaster
Doncaster Town Mooring
Barmby Dun
New Cut - lots especially near the junction with the A&C
Pollington - short walk to a good pub
Great Heck / South Yorkshire Boat Club welcomes visitors
Jolly Miller VMs
The Steam Packet - best of the rest
Ferrybridge - hmmm
Castleford cut - long walk to the town
right turn for Leeds -  detour ?
Allerton Bywater - high jetty
Lemonroyd
Woodlesford
Leeds - Garanary Wharf - if you can't get in the Armouries

The Calder
Lots of moorings at every lock 
Stanley Ferry
Wakefield VMs
Thornes cut
Broadcut - The Navigation
Horbury - good indian but the best pub is closed others are available

Figure of Three top lock - walk under the railway bridge muddy after rain -  for a really great pub
Dewsbury Arm - if VM is full you can usually slot in down the arm - tricky in a 60 fter but great pub 
Mirfield - The Flowerpot over the river bridge
South Pennine Boat Club - I'll find you a spot - The Pear Tree
Kirklees cut
Brighouse - Market Tavern and probably the world's best Wetherspoons
Elland - Barge &  Barrel
Salterhebble VMs
Sowerby Bridge 

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 2

16 hours ago, IanD said:

No one calls it that, it’s Eastwood lock.

your better off missing it out, as there will be more then enough time to crack on and stop at the Pastures, just before Mexborough bottom lock. There’s a pub/food carvery there and a short walk into Mexborough, should you wish to stay a couple of days.

As @peterboatsays Eastwood has turned into a encamped village, the 1x elect bollard permanently hooked up to a continuous moorer with a broken down boat. CaRT doing nothing to move on.

As you say you’ll be doing a few runs up and back from the Yard, busy at the minute with new boats, yours went into the middle shed last week for it to get started.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 2

39 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

No one calls it that, it’s Eastwood lock.

your better off missing it out, as there will be more then enough time to crack on and stop at the Pastures, just before Mexborough bottom lock. There’s a pub/food carvery there and a short walk into Mexborough, should you wish to stay a couple of days.

As @peterboatsays Eastwood has turned into a encamped village, the 1x elect bollard permanently hooked up to a continuous moorer with a broken down boat. CaRT doing nothing to move on.

As you say you’ll be doing a few runs up and back from the Yard, busy at the minute with new boats, yours went into the middle shed last week for it to get started.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, all helpful 🙂

Journey planning depends on timing, I'll have to get everything onto the boat, then decide what to do with the car -- probably drive it over to the marina (Park Farm north of Middlewich is the plan) and leave it there, then come back to Sheffield by train, might only mean half a day (down through Tinsley?) on the first day. Doubt if I'll be stopping in Mexborough for any length of time, more likely to crack on -- any longer stops on the trip will be somewhere nicer like the Rochdale where there are plenty of possibilities.

Anyway this is a *long* time away, lots more to worry about before then... 😉

Unfortunately @IanD you can’t do half a day down the flight, you need to be at the top(lock 1)around 9am to start, you can’t stop anywhere down the flight and will need to be past Holmes Lock, as they are all locked by CaRT after each passage. You can make good time, as all the big electric locks are self filling so will be in your favour.

As you say a long time away and you’ll be better off speaking to people at Sheffield with local knowledge once your there and plan it from there. Only a few on here know the area and travel it regularly.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Unfortunately @IanD you can’t do half a day down the flight, you need to be at the top(lock 1)around 9am to start, you can’t stop anywhere down the flight and will need to be past Holmes Lock, as they are all locked by CaRT after each passage. You can make good time, as all the big electric locks are self filling so will be in your favour.

As you say a long time away and you’ll be better off speaking to people at Sheffield with local knowledge once your there and plan it from there. Only a few on here know the area and travel it regularly.

Thanks, I'd missed that. I'll ask both in Sheffield and on here before starting the intrepid voyage... 😉

• Greenie 1

• 2 months later...

CRT Press Release

16 February 2023

CANAL & RIVER TRUST ASKS BOATERS TO TAKE PART IN CONSULTATION ON BOAT LICENCE FEES

Canal & River Trust is carrying out a consultation with boaters to gather feedback on boat licence pricing over the next ten years to help support the long-term future of the 2,000 miles of waterways that the charity manages across England & Wales.

Faced with the growing pressures of maintaining ageing waterways and the increased threat of climate change, the Trust raises money for vital maintenance from a number of sources to help protect and preserve the network. This includes income from boat licences, government funding, investments, donations, and other income streams. 

To help meet the costs of caring for its canals, rivers, and reservoirs, the Trust needs to secure more funds. Income from boat licence fees currently makes up 11% of the Trust’s annual income and will need to rise by more than the rate of inflation to continue to fund essential work to the network. The Trust is consulting on the most effective and equitable way possible to apply these increases.

The Trust is asking boaters for their views on whether increases should apply evenly to all boaters using the current boat licence fee structure, or whether it is fairer to apply higher increases to certain boaters in a way that reflects how they use the waterways and the higher costs of meeting their needs.

The consultation is being sent out to all boat licence holders in February by email, text message, or post, depending on what contact information they have given the Trust, and will run until 6 April 2023. The consultation is being run by the independent firm DJS Research, who will be sending out the questionnaire, collating the responses and preparing a report on the consultation findings. Responses will be anonymised.

Richard Parry, chief executive at Canal & River Trust, said: “These are challenging times for our ageing waterways. Faced with soaring costs and the highest levels of inflation in over 40 years, we must address the budget shortfall to safeguard navigation. Our network is old and vulnerable, especially to the extreme weather events that are becoming more common, and the income from licences is an important contribution to ensure the ongoing maintenance and repair of the historic canals and river navigations in our care.

“We continue to secure as much income as we can through our commercial and charitable activities, control costs where possible, and focus our resources on those priority works which are required to support navigation. Nevertheless, with our government grant frozen and therefore declining in real terms since 2021, and currently undecided after 2027, the income we receive from boat licences is more critical than ever.

“While we do not underestimate the impact on boaters of any licence fee increase, unless we can increase income from all sources at a level above inflation, it will not be possible to secure a sustainable future for our waterways. We are calling on boaters to help decide how we can increase their contribution in the most effective and equitable way possible.”

The Trust is facing dual pressures on income and expenditure:

The Trust generates much of its income through a combination of a government grant and investments. Over the past year the Trust has seen an increase in pressure on its finances with rapid inflation and external, global factors affecting supply chains and increasing costs and availability of materials.

In 2021/22, the Trust’s income was £214.6 million from all sources, with £24 million coming from boat licences and a further £20.5 million from moorings and other boating income. Currently, the Trust receives £52.6 million each year in the form of a government grant. The value of this grant is fixed until 2027, meaning that, with inflation, each year its value is eroding – it is set to reduce in real terms by around 29% by 2027. The Trust awaits a decision by the government over the future value of the grant.

Since the Trust was formed, it has grown other sources of income to keep the network running. The Trust’s annual income from investments has increased from £41.9 million in 2013/14 to £51.4 million in 2021/22 (higher growth than the market average), and its income from services to electricity, IT, and other utility companies and water development has grown from £24.7 million in 2013/14 to £37.7 million in 2021/22. Fundraising income is forecasted to grow by 10% each year and commercial income to grow at least in line with inflation.

Since the Trust was formed, its expenditure on maintaining the waterway network has risen by 50% from £94.2 million in 2013/14 to £141 million in 2021/22.

The Trust is seeing large increases in its expenditure on vital reservoir safety works, which are mandatory under the UK Reservoirs Act. Reservoirs are currently the largest component in the Trust’s infrastructure spend, and this will continue until all its high-risk reservoirs (the oldest in the country) have been brought up to modern standards. This ongoing investment will minimise any threat to public safety and safeguard the vital canal water supply that the reservoirs provide.

Increased costs, uncertainty over the future of the government grant, the need for sustained investment in high-risk assets, and day-to-day maintenance all amount to an underlying gap between future income and rising future expenses. The Trust must start to fill this gap to safeguard the future of the waterways.

The Trust produces a Boater Report to show how the charity generates income, and how the money is invested in the network: canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-news-and-views/boating-blogs-and-features/boater-report-2022

For more information on boat licensing, visit: canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licence-your-boat

The Trust supports boaters who may be struggling to pay their licence fees on a case-by-case basis. This may include arranging flexible payment plans and signposting to relevant services, for example the Waterways Chaplaincy, local authorities and Citizens Advice. For more information visit: canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/do-you-know-a-vulnerable-boater

-ends-

Fran Read (she/her)

National press officer

I work Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays

M  07796 610 427

E  fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk

"The Trust is asking boaters for their views on whether increases should apply evenly to all boaters using the current boat licence fee structure, or whether it is fairer to apply higher increases to certain boaters in a way that reflects how they use the waterways and the higher costs of meeting their needs."

Hang on, this sounds exactly like what has been discussed ad infinitum on another thread... 😉