C&RT License Survey

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Can't see that it would. The whole point of hiving off BW was to get the canals out of public ownership. I don't think anyone cares much about us boaters,  evidence being Michael Fabricant apparently being our chief government supporter. No-one's taken him seriously for years.

So licences will go up, so will unlicensed boats, the system will carry on falling to bits slowly, Parry & Co will get their bonuses, pensions and retire. I'll probably be dead by then, though, so it won't matter.

I think this is quite a likely scenario. One thing I don't thnk you've commented on is the way this will impact on the meteoric rise in the use of canals for both cheap (old narrowboats) ands expensive (£300k new widebeam) accommodation. The former especially relies on being able to CC on a working canal system. As it slowly falls into worse and worse disrepair, genuine CC cruising will get progressively curtailed. (LadyG seems to already be prone to suffering from this thus demonstrating the effect.) What will happen then? Will there be court cases where CRT get told no they can't lift out a boat they Sectioned 8'ed for no license, but they withheld the license for not moving, which was CRT's fault in the first place for trapping said boater for long periods between infrastructure failures that aren't getting fixed? Just one scenario. 

Secondly, the third-of-a-million-quid widebeams. These seem like sitting duck targets to me for some massive license fee increases. While a new widebeam takes up twice as much 'canal real estate' as a old narrowboat, and is owned by the very richest of boaters but only pays 20% more in license fee, this seems very unfair on three separate levels.  While this persists CRT can hardly claim to be rinsing all boaters for maximum income possible, I don't think. 

• Greenie 2

19 hours ago, IanD said:

And replace him with who -- somebody worse?

Be careful what you wish for.  Richard Parry is an enthusiast (especially for historic boats) in contrast to  Robin Evans who had no interest in boats or navigation.

David L.

• Greenie 4

9 hours ago, MtB said:

I think this is quite a likely scenario. One thing I don't thnk you've commented on is the way this will impact on the meteoric rise in the use of canals for both cheap (old narrowboats) ands expensive (£300k new widebeam) accommodation. The former especially relies on being able to CC on a working canal system. As it slowly falls into worse and worse disrepair, genuine CC cruising will get progressively curtailed. (LadyG seems to already be prone to suffering from this thus demonstrating the effect.) What will happen then? Will there be court cases where CRT get told no they can't lift out a boat they Sectioned 8'ed for no license, but they withheld the license for not moving, which was CRT's fault in the first place for trapping said boater for long periods between infrastructure failures that aren't getting fixed? Just one scenario. 

Secondly, the third-of-a-million-quid widebeams. These seem like sitting duck targets to me for some massive license fee increases. While a new widebeam takes up twice as much 'canal real estate' as a old narrowboat, and is owned by the very richest of boaters but only pays 20% more in license fee, this seems very unfair on three separate levels.  While this persists CRT can hardly claim to be rinsing all boaters for maximum income possible, I don't think. 

I don't think it will be my problem Mike, I am seriously considering selling and going to the Broads or an electric campervan. I am sick to death of CRTs antics 

Just now, peterboat said:

I don't think it will be my problem Mike, I am seriously considering selling and going to the Broads or an electric campervan. I am sick to death of CRTs antics 

If the 'canal evacuation' continues to grow until the 'leavers' exceed the 'starters' then C&RTs financial woes will be futher exacerbated and result in an ever decreasing spiral.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If the 'canal evacuation' continues to grow until the 'leavers' exceed the 'starters' then C&RTs financial woes will be futher exacerbated and result in an ever decreasing spiral.

Exactly Alan, it's best to sell a desirable boat now whilst prices are high, a 46 foot Broads cruiser would suit us fine or an electric Ford Transit campervan. The issue is the longer I hang on the worse the system becomes, the Broads however seems to be doing ok

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Since you stay comfortably moored most -- not all! -- of the time and have your wideboat/allotment/compost heap/EV making for quite a nice lifestyle, what is it about CART that affects you so badly that you'd give this all up for something more cramped and less comfortable?

Or are you just having a good old moan to get some sympathy from the other CART-haters on the forum, but have no real intention of doing what you say?

[AMANT, to use the correct version of the phrase favoured by another poster... 🙂 ]

Edited by IanD

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

[AMANT, to use the correct version of the phrase favoured by another poster... 🙂 ]

I do struggle to understand what you are posting sometimes - particularly when you use anagrams, slang, abbreviations etc.

I have looked up AMANT under both the English usage and 'urban slang' and find either :

amant

the name Amant originates from the English, French and British languages. Amant is charming and has a great genuine personality. She is described as hot, gorgeous, has a beautiful figure and turns heads when she walks through the door. She is one of the girls who leave boys open mouthed and swooned and is very attractive. As well she would be the perfect soul mate. Other than that she slayes her challenges and has the perfect wit and is never overcome, she is considered a savage but is still kindhearted and is always there when you need a shoulder to cry on. She is the most sweetest, trustworthy , and compassionate person you will ever meet, and if your lucky you'll get to call her yours because face it all your friends would be jealous you have a damn fine girl like her. She'll make you laugh with her caring sense of humor and some how be able to make your day. So if you don't have a Amant you should go get one.

or

Amant

Amant is an international private arts organization that fosters artistic experimentation and dialogue across disciplines through residencies and public programming. Amant is situated in the New York City borough of Brooklyn and in the Tuscan hamlet of Chiusure in the heart of the Siena province.

or

The French use of Amant = Lover

I'm pretty sure that you are not alluding to the other poster with this meaning.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I do struggle to understand what you are posting sometimes - particularly when you use anagrams, slang, abbreviations etc.

I have looked up AMANT under both the English usage and 'urban slang' and find either :

amant

the name Amant originates from the English, French and British languages. Amant is charming and has a great genuine personality. She is described as hot, gorgeous, has a beautiful figure and turns heads when she walks through the door. She is one of the girls who leave boys open mouthed and swooned and is very attractive. As well she would be the perfect soul mate. Other than that she slayes her challenges and has the perfect wit and is never overcome, she is considered a savage but is still kindhearted and is always there when you need a shoulder to cry on. She is the most sweetest, trustworthy , and compassionate person you will ever meet, and if your lucky you'll get to call her yours because face it all your friends would be jealous you have a damn fine girl like her. She'll make you laugh with her caring sense of humor and some how be able to make your day. So if you don't have a Amant you should go get one.

or

Amant

Amant is an international private arts organization that fosters artistic experimentation and dialogue across disciplines through residencies and public programming. Amant is situated in the New York City borough of Brooklyn and in the Tuscan hamlet of Chiusure in the heart of the Siena province.

or

The French use of Amant = Lover

I'm pretty sure that you are not alluding to the other poster with this meaning.

I'll give you another clue, AMAT is what the other poster uses, it should have an N in.

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out what the acronym stands for. This phone will self-destruct in

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

I'll give you another clue, AMAT is what the other poster uses, it should have an N in.

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out what the acronym stands for. This phone will self-destruct in

CBA.

Maybe it would help the comprehension if you wrote what you wanted to say (instead of Text-speak with missing letters)

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

CBA.

Maybe it would help the comprehension if you wrote what you wanted to say (instead of Text-speak with missing letters)

Tedious isn't it.

Apparently it means All Mouth And No Trousers.

Which is quite ironic really.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

CBA.

Cost Benefit Analysis?

Christian Brothers Academy?

I don't understand... 😉

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You bite everytime ;

Well I learnt it from you.

You're the one who posted a long and boring post about an acronym, not me.

Have you figured it out yet?

Edited by IanD

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

"I phoned a friend"

Tedious isn't it.

Apparently it means All Mouth And No Trousers.

Well done. I dangled the FLA bait out there to see if anyone would bite, and you didn't disappoint me... 😉

(go on, ask me again, puhleeeeeze...)

16 minutes ago, IanD said:

Well done. I dangled the FLA bait out there to see if anyone would bite, and you didn't disappoint me... 😉

(go on, ask me again, puhleeeeeze...)

I went there once for an International marketing meeting in Naples - but it was too hot and the mozzies in the everglades were frightful.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, IanD said:

Since you stay comfortably moored most -- not all! -- of the time and have your wideboat/allotment/compost heap/EV making for quite a nice lifestyle, what is it about CART that affects you so badly that you'd give this all up for something more cramped and less comfortable?

Or are you just having a good old moan to get some sympathy from the other CART-haters on the forum, but have no real intention of doing what you say?

Because I was out a lot this year and the system is in rag order! Tinsley flight especially, trees blocking the canal for a widebeam especially if they don't have a wheelhouse. Sections of piling collapsed and have been getting worse for years. Landing stages falling to pieces, water shortages that arnt going to get better with increasing temperatures. Our visitors moorings at Eastwood have turned into a little village no room for  real visitors anymore! Shall I go on?