Coolant leak

blackrose

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

I visited 3 auto parts places today including for 2 truck parts but none of them could supply an equivalent thermostat. 

So it looks like I'm forced to pay £26 +vat and postage for a simple thermostat unless anyone knows a good auto parts cross referencing website?

To late I know but try Bedford Batteries

https://www.bedfordbattery.co.uk/wellingborough/

Not so far from you and they do parts as well IIRC 

Sorry you have had so much trouble. The one on eBay should have fitted but £92 is ridiculous. I have a complete new engine at home in case anything went wrong with mine but I haven’t needed anything so far. They were fitted to RAF portable nitrogen generators. They come up for sale sometimes. My spare engine had done 20 hours from new and cost a grand so I will swap it over if the current one gets tired.

Hope you get it sorted!

I've ordered 2 from ASAP so as long as they fit I'll be fine, thanks. They were the only ones I found who actually give all the thermostat dimensions on their website.

The problem with going to auto parts places is that none of them seem willing to get an actual thermostat out of a box to have a look and see if it's a match. They're all computer screen heads and if they're not getting the right part number they just give up... "Computer says no."

Edited by blackrose

If the distance from the underside of the top flange to the bottom of the bypass disk is similar and it sits nicely on the top of the head with a gap below the bypass disk I think that it will be fine. If the bypass disk holds the flange proud of the head then kit is no good.

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If the distance from the underside of the top flange to the bottom of the bypass disk is similar and it sits nicely on the top of the head with a gap below the bypass disk I think that it will be fine. If the bypass disk holds the flange proud of the head then kit is no good.

Thanks Tony. I'll give it a try over the weekend. So there should be a small gap below the bypass disc? Doesn't that just let the coolant through when it should be preventing it until the thermostat opens? Perhaps I've misunderstood how it works.

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thanks Tony. I'll give it a try over the weekend. So there should be a small gap below the bypass disc? Doesn't that just let the coolant through when it should be preventing it until the thermostat opens? Perhaps I've misunderstood how it works.

Basically yes. Modern engines produce far more heat than older ones so certain internal parts like the exhaust valve seats and injector bosses might boil the coolant on them unless it is circulating to take the heat away. On BMC 1.5s and other engines there is  a permanent "bleed" port in the water pump casting. On Minis it was a small hose between water pump and bottom of the thermostat recess in the head. On most engines without a calorifier thermostat the calorifier coil circuit acts as a bypass, as does the cab heater on vehicles. However more modern engines the bypass is closed off by the bypass disk as the thermostat opens. The bypass ports tend to be larger than on older engines so if that port is not closed of when hot some hot coolant can bypass the skin tank/radiator so might lead to overheating - especially if the boat happens to have an undersized skin tank.