Pavo on the hard at Alperton

PaulJ

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Piazza is designed to connect students, TAs, and professors so every student can get the help they need when they need it.

Today, millions of students across thousands of campuses are using Piazza for their classes. It warms me to think I started something that is impacting the way students learn and the way instructors teach.

I sincerely hope Piazza enhances your experience as a student, as a TA, and as a professor.

— Pooja Nath Sankar, Piazza Founder

I find more Students are using Waterstones coffee shops and other free WiFi Coffee shops then Piazza’s.
  Getting harder to just pop in for a coffee these days, with 4 seater tables often filled with 1x student, laptop, coat, bags and a bottle of water.

Edited by PD1964

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I find more Students are using Waterstones coffee shops and other free WiFi Coffee shops then Piazza’s.
  Getting harder to just pop in for a coffee these days, with 4 seater tables often filled with 1x student, laptop, coat, bags and a bottle of water.

Piazza is a software programme / system not an Italian market square.

Piazza is a learning management system which allows students to ask questions in a forum-type format. Instructors are able to moderate the discussion, along with endorsing accurate answers. The software was invented by Pooja Nath in 2009 in order to speed response times and create a common place where students could engage in discussion outside of the classroom. Utilizing an extensive notification system and a simple layout, the response time on Piazza averages approximately 14 minutes. Instructors also have the ability to allow students to post anonymously, encouraging more in-depth discussion.

The word Piazza comes from the Italian word for plaza—a common city square where people can come together to share ideas and knowledge.

It’s a pity they couldn’t get a new build or even a nondescript welded boat….sadly london has a past record of wrecking historic craft for some

spurious reason. Look at the James Jackson Grundy….it had lovely lines when it traded on the Mersey and weaver…now it’s a travesty of a houseboat having been totally butchered. 

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

So Thaxted gets bought in a great condition taken to london and destroyed to be turned in to a muppet theatre.

Pavo gets taken to london and turned into a pizza shack.

Any other heritage destroying ideas for grand unions?

Im actually still none the wiser but its not a pizza shack 😀

Whatever it is or isnt now -its alarmed anyhow and a strobe light was flashing on it as I passed this morning so an alarmed ornament at least.

Found this on Facebook by a company called Rise Media who posted the following -

Berkeley Group: PAVO 🛥️

How often do you get to document a 200 mile boat journey? Berkeley Group have acquired a historic narrowboat called PAVO, and are returning it to its original home at their new canalside development, Grand Union. We produced a 10 minute film following its journey from Nantwich to Alperton, along with interviews exploring the Berkeley Group's commitment to placemaking and heritage.

4 hours ago, Peanut said:

Should you open the link:  https://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/developments/london/alperton/grand-union

Scroll down to the site plan, near the bottom.

You will find the, “Canal Boat Café,” on the Plaza.

See never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Its a piazza shack in Alperton. 

10 hours ago, Peanut said:

Should you open the link:  https://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/developments/london/alperton/grand-union

Scroll down to the site plan, near the bottom.

You will find the, “Canal Boat Café,” on the Plaza.

Well found, you have sharp eyes- seen it now labelled on the site plan.

And yet their  blurb only says-

'The piazza is home to a new Community Hub, nursery, and café and features a new piece of public art, ‘The Next Step’, inspired by pupils from nearby Alperton Community School. A historic narrowboat, originally built in 1935 for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company, has also been restored and permanently located at Grand Union, where it will serve as a unique reminder of the area’s rich history.'

Bit confusing as it doent say its going to be actually serving pizzas (which Im skeptical about) which you would have thought as they have gone to all that trouble, would have advertised it as such.

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

See never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Its a piazza shack in Alperton. 

Its really not a good story.

And I asked on here because I thought someone may know the facts.

21 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

Unique amongst Small Woolwich boats in having 17mm thick hull sides, apparently!

Perhaps these are contributing towards the claimed 3' 4" draught?

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Happy 1

Its a pilot project.  The complete project, after a consultation phase, will be for all London's canals to be drained to save on C&RT maintenance costs.  C&RT will arrange for road transport should any boat ever want to move.  All boats will be connected by a series of freshwater pipes and composting toilets will be compulsory.

36 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Its a pilot project.  The complete project, after a consultation phase, will be for all London's canals to be drained to save on C&RT maintenance costs.  C&RT will arrange for road transport should any boat ever want to move.  All boats will be connected by a series of freshwater pipes and composting toilets will be compulsory.

Don’t even jest…my only thought would be a shallow water level…raised by infilling round the boats already moored to make it look pretty for the cyclists and joggers….this could be waste soil from all the basement excavations taking place. 

7 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

There are comments that it is 'on the hard' which to me means out of the water. But in reality it is still floating, on a man made lake - or is that the projected plan, and it really is on the hard?

It's out of the water "on the bank", but I can't say for sure because it's opposite the towpath and too high up to see if there's any water under it or not when I pass it. I suspect not...

8 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

There are comments that it is 'on the hard' which to me means out of the water. But in reality it is still floating, on a man made lake - or is that the projected plan, and it really is on the hard?

It may well be in a pond. You cant see from the canal and my altitude without a periscope. I must admit the thought had not occured to me at the time that someone would not only crane a boat out but dig a pond for it too..😀

For anyone else interested-

I contacted Berkeley earlier today. Not easy as no one answers the phones and there is no email addy for them. To my surprise they actually  phoned me back from the enquiry I made using their form.

Chap humoured my questions about Pavo and told me it was for the use of the residents-with some mention of conference room /wine tasting etc. Asked him straight out if it was going to sell Pitsas etc which he said no to with a fairly curt 'Now you know'

Still not sure we were talking about the same thing..😀