"Interesting" request on "London Boaters" FaceBook page

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why not go all in and get a chopper in to lift it ?

Dropping the lashing-master down to get the strops ready (practicing on the Trent)

AirLiftedTrent.jpg

How come that hasnt rolled over, I thought they all did that on the booms.....

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

How much would it cost to hire a locomotive and a flatcar to move it by rail?  I assume cranage costs at each end would bea  trivial addition?  Moving it by road is just so boring.

The high track access charges mean that even the railway companies have sometimes found it cheaper to move rolling stock and locos by road.  

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

The high track access charges mean that even the railway companies have sometimes found it cheaper to move rolling stock and locos by road.  

That would account for the unit on a lowloader that I overtook on the A34 yesterday.  There was too much traffic for me to look away to see how many passengers there were on board.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Train a flock of pigeons to fly between Chester and Devizes. Saw the boat in to sufficiently small pieces that each is within the carrying capacity of one pigeon. Release the birds. Travel to Devizes and weld the boat back together as the parts arrive.

With extra training, couldn't you get them to take off in synchrony to lift it without having to segment it?  A pidgeon as everyone knows has the carrying capacity of one twig, which raises the question of  - how many twigs does a narrowboat weigh?

• Greenie 1

Rock pigeons can carry more than a twig,  a passenger pigeon would have been useful, you could have travelled with the flock, but they all got eaten or something. 

Edited by Jim Riley