Battery woes...

jacob

Featured Posts

Morning all,

I'm having a bit of a headache with my batteries, wondering if you could help me diagnose the issue. For context, we're liveaboards at a marina, so we're almost always plugged in to a shoreline

Around 3 months ago one of our batteries started offgassing pretty badly - I assumed it was just a knackered battery, so took it out the circuit. Then a second battery started offgassing a day later. I did some fault finding and reckoned that the old dusty battery charger was the issue. I got another new battery and a shiny 12V 30A Victron blue smart charger. I set that all up and everything was working flawlessly...

...until last night - at around midnight I noticed the smell again and another battery was offgassing. I disconnected everything from the circuit and this morning inspected everything. The dead battery is another of the old ones that came with the boat. Looking at the victron app (pictures attached) it seems the last cycle lasted 50 days and the vast amount of this was in storage mode. I've also attached a picture of the batteries, the duff one is the second from the bottom (although the bottom one has also lost its green 'healthy' indicator)

Any ideas what's going on? My plans for temporarily fixing this is to either remove the old battery from the circuit, or to go all the way and set up the charger as a power source, with no batteries connected. A long term fix would be much appreciated as I don't have the funds to replace my battery setup every 3months...

484227613_Screenshot2022-11-26at09_08_58.png.76a9364ea0c77158e3782db38e8672c7.png1213135054_Screenshot2022-11-26at09_09_19.png.1269b711a7cd40a5b490f9222b262530.png1688176423_Screenshot2022-11-26at09_09_35.png.188f690f08a700197406f86f4ee6d13d.png

Edited by jacob

Ive said this many times before. The first thing I do when buying a boat new to me, is replace all the leisure/service batteries. You dont know how old or how good they are. Batteries are like diesel, use and replace. Dodgy batteries can cause all manner of peculiar problems with the electrics. Having seen one after it exploded on a commercial boat I am licensed for you wouldnt believe the devastation one can cause, and that was one we knew and maintained and it still went bang whilst on charge.

The gassing, especially if you get the dangerous rotten egg smell, in the circumstances you describe is almost certainly caused by internal shorts developing in a cell or cells. First the cells gas, then as they dry out produce hydrogen sulphide, eventually they dry out, spark internally and ignite the hydrogen being produced.  At that pint the cell lid splits, the case may fracture and the acid in other cells sprays all over the place.

If any individual cells get hotter than the rest, are dryer than the rest, the charge time gets longer and the discharge time gets shorter all indicate shorting cells, as is a higher charging rate maintained for longer than usual. All indicate the battery or ideally the whole bank needs replacing ASAP.

Not caused by short circuits but by sulphation that results in a loss of capacity, if you see the ends of the battery case bowing it is time to start saving for new ones before they start shorting in the cells.

• Greenie 2