Dorman in the skip.

noddyboater

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

A 4 cylinder Dorman with box had been taken out of a boat and slung in the scrap skip.

It was in running condition apparently. 

It's down at the boatyard at hillmorton,  next to the Oak pub. 

IMG-20221125-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20221125-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20221125-WA0002.jpg

That seems daft!!  But there again people are. It surely would have fetched more than scrap value 

3 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Something modern replaced it I heard,  they didn't want to bother trying to sell it.

A good source of parts for someone with a twin I'd guess. 

And that’s everything that’s wrong with some

people!! Definitely needs saving 

• Greenie 2

20 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

On the face of it, it does seem daft to not simply stick the engine and gearbox in the corner of a dry shed somewhere, and advertise it for sale for spares or repair.

I'd say it is worth peanuts. There is little demand for four cylinder vintage engines like that nowadays. Very unfashionable and not even 'proper' vintage with the flywheel enclosed like that.

I had a very similar engine but with three cylinders so far more desirable. I put it on ebay and it took weeks to attract one single bid of the £100 starting price. Even then it wasn't purchased to go into a boat. 

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'd say it is worth peanuts. There is little demand for four cylinder vintage engines like that nowadays. Very unfashionable and not even 'proper' vintage with the flywheel enclosed like that.

Still worth something for spares if you have another…Dorman parts aren’t that plentiful. 

Sadly more value is placed on a white painted interior now than a decent engine. 

Even as scrap metal I would assume it would be worth 50-100 quid as I assume its fairly heavy...

I'm always pleasently surprised when I take a car load of crap to our local scrappie and get £50 in my bank account . More if I'm weighing in old leisure batteries too.

21 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Even as scrap metal I would assume it would be worth 50-100 quid as I assume its fairly heavy...

I'm always pleasently surprised when I take a car load of crap to our local scrappie and get £50 in my bank account . More if I'm weighing in old leisure batteries too.

I can't imagine it weighing a tonne, which what it would need to be to be worth £70 in scrap.

https://www.handsmetals.co.uk/scrap-metal-prices/

This is a Dorman 4DSM many of which were built for the Admiralty during WW2 and some had a Kitchen rudder so the gearbox was only a clutch. Most were fitted in Wooden boats so they easily outlasted the craft they were fitted to and came on the the secondhand market. Many parts were shared with the 2DSM that being the 2 Cylinder model.

They were high quality units but quite low in power for their size. I fitted a 2DSM in a 40ft narrowboat in 1980 and even then few parts were available. I have seen other 2DSM's in narrowboats but that was a while ago and I think Chris Lloyd put a 4DSM in a BCN tug in the early eighties and it was at the Tipton Rally around that time. They just don't have the same aesthetic appeal as an open flywheel engine.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I can't imagine it weighing a tonne, which what it would need to be to be worth £70 in scrap.

https://www.handsmetals.co.uk/scrap-metal-prices/

Actually looking at the pic again its in a skip of scrap metal by the looks of it so imagine there is quite a bit in there and no doubt an extra bit of income for someone. 

2 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

I fitted a 2DSM in a 40ft narrowboat in 1980 and even then few parts were available. I have seen other 2DSM's in narrowboats but that was a while ago and I think Chris Lloyd put a 4DSM in a BCN tug in the early eighties and it was at the Tipton Rally around that time. They just don't have the same aesthetic appeal as an open flywheel engine

I think Big Woolwich Bath has a 2DSM - an industrial engine from a crane and now fitted with a separately mounted gearbox.

24 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I think Big Woolwich Bath has a 2DSM - an industrial engine from a crane and now fitted with a separately mounted gearbox.

Most of the Dorman engines fitted to Ruston Cranes were I think the 2lb to 3ld series which were a nice engine but more modern and powerful than the DSM. I fitted one in White Heather for a time and it was a great engine but unfortunately too heavy for its location in the boat so I had to take it out again! The crane/generator engines appear quite often on ebay.

11 hours ago, BEngo said:

IIRC the 2DSM was 15 hp at 1000 rpm, with a 1:1 box.  That strikes me as a bit lightweight for a Big Woolwich, compared with an 18 hp @1000 rpm National or RN with a 2:1 box.

N

There are also however, the whacking great big Dormans, 2LB and 3LB with about 30HP and 45HP IIRC. A much better engine for a NB. I was wondering if this might have been a four cylinder version of that, in. which case it is way too big for a NB!

11 hours ago, BEngo said:

IIRC the 2DSM was 15 hp at 1000 rpm, with a 1:1 box. 

I think it was 10HP at 1000rpm which was the admiralty spec but you could raise the governor a bit. The 1:1 gearbox would only swing something like a 16 inch prop and that was fine on a 40foot 18 inch draft boat but maybe with an external 3:1 gearbox it might drive a full length boat slowly.

15 hours ago, David Mack said:

The National Historic Ships Register suggests that it is a 2DHD.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

There are also however, the whacking great big Dormans, 2LB and 3LB with about 30HP and 45HP IIRC. A much better engine for a NB. I was wondering if this might have been a four cylinder version of that, in. which case it is way too big for a NB!

Says the man with an 8 litre twin..

It was in a 45 footer I believe,  so a bit overpowered even though it's a little un.

After spending ten years working with charities in the re-use and recyling sector, I am rarely surprised at anything that people chose to discard.

Many people have little regard for the real value of what they have.

Edited by NB Alnwick
  • Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

After spending ten years working with charities in the re-use and recyling sector, I am rarely surprised at anything that people chose to discard.

Many people have little regard for the real value of what they have.

I wholeheartedly agree, speaking as an ex-professional conservationist.

The greenest businesses I know of are antique and bric-à-brac dealers.