Glow Plug current draw

PCSB

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, PCSB said:

The engineer from the builders is sorting a replacement. They use a 70Amp relay. To be clear, I did switch to the glow plug position and there was no change in voltage. As it is still warranted I'll let the engineer deal with it now, but it is a very simple job to swap over.

The remaining question is, why did the relay fail so quickly?

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The remaining question is, why did the relay fail so quickly?

Good question! I'm hoping it is just a bad unit ... but as the engine is under warranty I have made sure that the builder is involved, it is now with Engines Plus awaiting their response. All being well I will receive an update later today. As mentioned earlier by @jpcdriver Engines Plus add the relay as a mod to the engine to aid cold starting/voltage drop issues. Whether they will send an engineer or just authorise the builder to swap it out I'll wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick follow up to this and thanks to all who have responded.

Engines Plus sent out a replacement relay, a different brand to the ones they have been using apparently. The engineer from the builders was going to drive out to Llangollen where we are just now but agreed I could fit it without any impact to warranty. It would have meant an all day job for him and as I was passing their offices it was literally a case of grab the new relay and fit it. 

It pulls around 50amps when activated and the engine fires up almost immediately, even in this cold weather so a good result all round.

• Greenie 4

25 minutes ago, PCSB said:

A quick follow up to this and thanks to all who have responded.

Engines Plus sent out a replacement relay, a different brand to the ones they have been using apparently. The engineer from the builders was going to drive out to Llangollen where we are just now but agreed I could fit it without any impact to warranty. It would have meant an all day job for him and as I was passing their offices it was literally a case of grab the new relay and fit it. 

It pulls around 50amps when activated and the engine fires up almost immediately, even in this cold weather so a good result all round.

Thanks for the feed back and good info for anyone else with heater problems