Someone's project maybe ?

gatekrash

Featured Posts

This turned up at our lumpy water marina in Plymouth today. It's due to be towed across the bay to a local yard at Torpoint for refurbishment. Hopefully not today as there's a full gale blowing.

I do love the tin shed roof over the front, along with the matching shed door half way along !

Anyone got any idea what it is ?

I'm guessing given where it's going and that someone has paid for haulage and hoisting (and the yard that's dropping it in isn't cheap compared to canal hoisting rates) that they're intending to live on it.

FB_IMG_1669291182720.jpg.b74718b63907c38caae15a9ac3a80b01.jpg

Frank Wild's Carribean cruiser.  http://fbwilds.horning.org.uk/

Nasty hydraulic drive in there probably. I've been on one of these with a shaft drive but most were hydraulic drive as it allows for more efficient packaging of the engine outside of the accomodationa areas.

Nice solid boats bit ugly though.

Edited by magnetman

15 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

It's due to be towed across the bay to a local yard at Torpoint

Is it going in the Ballast Pond ? (it looks a bit long to me). or around the corner to Carbeile Wharf.

(We had a couple of years on the swinging moorings at Torpoint,as we we couldn't fit in the Ballast Pond as we were too wide  but we are now 'around the corner' at  Millbrook - the Multi Hull centre a bit further up the estuary past Southdown Marina)

Torpoint Marinas.jpg

19 minutes ago, magnetman said:

39x12ft I think they are.

It may just (be a tight fit) as it is a combination of length beam and how many boats are moored up on the pontoons directly in front of the narrow (maybe 18-20 feet wide) entrance.

You need to be able to come in and turn either left or right immediately to get in the fairway between the pontoons, and if you are a bit long, you need to come thru at an angle. A 12 foot wide boat in an 18/20 foot wide gap is not going to allow much of an angle of approach.

The boats in the Ballast Pond tend to be a bit smaller.

Screenshot (329).png

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is it going in the Ballast Pond ? (it looks a bit long to me). or around the corner to Carbeile Wharf.

(We had a couple of years on the swinging moorings at Torpoint,as we we couldn't fit in the Ballast Pond as we were too wide  but we are now 'around the corner' at  Millbrook - the Multi Hull centre a bit further up the estuary past Southdown Marina)

Torpoint Marinas.jpg

Going round to Carbeile I believe, so guessing it's a drop straight in at QAB and then being pulled straight back out again over there.

• Greenie 1