Weil's Disease

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

To save people clicking the link, it is about water companies discharging raw sewage and stupid people swimming in it and getting ill. Then claiming their illness was caused by the swimming with no proof other than the coincidence of timing.

One bloke, a photgrapher, caught Weils but he didn't go swimming. No mention of the fact that Weils is transmitted in rat urine. 

So in essence, the article has little or nothing to do with the thread headline. 

• Greenie 1

As far as I know, boaters are still allowed to empty the contents of their toilets into the River Great Ouse. Though that is a different subject to the "suspected Weil's disease" the chap in the article suffered from. I'm not sure rats have been told its not acceptable behaviour either.

What is "suspected Weils disease anyway"? 

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

To save people clicking the link, it is about water companies discharging raw sewage and stupid people swimming in it and getting ill. Then claiming their illness was caused by the swimming with no proof other than the coincidence of timing.

One bloke, a photgrapher, caught Weils but he didn't go swimming. No mention of the fact that Weils is transmitted in rat urine. 

So in essence, the article has little or nothing to do with the thread headline. 

It did say he entered the water, even though he perhaps didn't go swimming. It appears a very misleading, poorly written story to me though.

26 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

As far as I know, boaters are still allowed to empty the contents of their toilets into the River Great Ouse. Though that is a different subject to the "suspected Weil's disease" the chap in the article suffered from. I'm not sure rats have been told its not acceptable behaviour either.

What is "suspected Weils disease anyway"? 

It did say he entered the water, even though he perhaps didn't go swimming. It appears a very misleading, poorly written story to me though.

"Suspected Weils disease" is when you think it's Weils disease but the tests keep coming back negative, no matter how many tests you do and how much you want it to be Weils disease.

I thought it poorly written too, but may not be such a poorly written story if one approaches it expecting an article about sewage rather than about Weils. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

"Suspected Weils disease" is when you think it's Weils disease but the tests keep coming back negative, no matter how many tests you do and how much you want it to be Weils disease.

I thought it poorly written too, but may not be such a poorly written story if one approaches it expecting an article about sewage rather than about Weils. 

Yeah, but no, but it says he caught suspected Weil's disease.

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

And the tests prove that he has, Shirley! 

Oh, I see, so he didn't actually have Weil's disease, he had 'suspected Weil's disease' which is what he was tested for. I wonder if there is a similar test for  'suspected covid'

I wonder if they put him in isolation because they suspected it was catching.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

There is an article in today's (Thursday) Huddersfield Examiner about water companies discharging raw and partially treated sewage into rivers.Don't know how to post a link, but the gist of the article is about "dry spills".

The water companies are allowed to discharge raw sewage into rivers during times of exceptional rainfall and when there is a danger of flooding.The campaign group SAS (sick of sewage) have published a list of "dry spills" Between October last year and September this year they recorded 146 "dry spills" when there was no rainfall.

Some 95 of the "dry spills" were at locations where water quality was classified as 'excellent' making a mockery of the categorisation system for bathing waters in the UK.

No doubt some of this polluted water will find it's way into the canals.

Apart from swimming in sewage, Weils disease is a separate and serious concern. There was a recent incident reported in a thread here about @tree monkey I think, that brought home how serious it could be. Fortunately okay but it could have been pretty serious without any intervention.

Edited by Ianws
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Creaking Gate said:

Weils diseases (leptospirosis) can be caught from rat urine (typically female) and from cattle urine.   Its a myth that only rats can pass it on.   

Interesting, thanks. This prompted me to go to the wiki page on Weils, where it says:

"Whether there are reservoirs of human infection is unknown.[20][15] Rats, mice, and moles are important primary hosts, but other mammals including dogs, deer, rabbits, hedgehogs, cows, sheep, swine, raccoons, opossums, and skunks can also carry the disease."

So it seems less likely that Weils will be contracted from swimming in human sewage than animal sewage, including from cows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis

• 10 months later...
On 28/11/2022 at 09:29, Creaking Gate said:

Weils diseases (leptospirosis) can be caught from rat urine (typically female) and from cattle urine.   Its a myth that only rats can pass it on.   

My Aunty died of Weil's Disease. Her dog played in the local river or pond and it's thought she picked it up off the dog. Before the hospital realised what it was her body started shutting down.

I was passed on these attachments which have been given to CRT staff and Volunteers. 

I plan to keep these on my mobile and if we are unwell having been on the boat , canal we. Can bring it to the attention of the Doctor, Hospital.

Hope they are helpful.

Screenshot_20231020-173738.thumb.png.2d65f71b1b1da4533a34e2a233a54b37.pngScreenshot_20231020-173738.thumb.png.2d65f71b1b1da4533a34e2a233a54b37.pngScreenshot_20231020-173738.thumb.png.2d65f71b1b1da4533a34e2a233a54b37.pngScreenshot_20231020-173716.thumb.png.c97fdf734234b30405f3493d26bba833.png

• Greenie 1