Making an offer subject to survey

themymble

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I don't actually remember anyone getting surveys back then. Did anyone on here? Everyone I knew just bought the things and then fettled them!

Same here. 

I think the first time I ever heard of a pleasure boat being surveyed was when I first joined this forum and read about it. At the time I thought 'what a load of ol' borrocks, the world is going to the dogs'. Back in 1976 when I bought my first liveaboard boat, surveys were unheard of as like you, we just bought it and dealt with any problems from that point onwards. 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Same here. 

I think the first time I ever heard of a pleasure boat being surveyed was when I first joined this forum and read about it. At the time I thought 'what a load of ol' borrocks, the world is going to the dogs'. Back in 1976 when I bought my first liveaboard boat, surveys were unheard of as like you, we just bought it and dealt with any problems from that point onwards. 

The 1st (and only boat) I have ever had surveyed was in 1987.

It was an absolute disater that resulted in me trying (unsucessfully) to sue the Surveyor, and it was at this point in time my Solicitor pointed out that the small print "cannot be held responsible for anything stated" made the survey worthless.

Joint Venture 1001.jpg

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I don't actually remember anyone getting surveys back then. Did anyone on here? Everyone I knew just bought the things and then fettled them!

I bought a boat in 1981 without a survey, only to find the insurers wanted one. So I contacted the vendor, who happened to be a surveyor, and he wrote me a brief survey report! It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but it kept the insurers happy.