Cross the wash whilst you still can🤔

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Its not that long ago that they use to club the seal pups to death in the wash

This article examines the complex history of the grey seal problem in Britain since 1914. In particular, it will focus on our different reactions to the animal over time, and show how fishing communities and organisations have called for a government-sponsored seal cull since the mid-1920s, and how the very different types of culls that came in the 1960s and 1970s were opposed and halted by public outcry in Britain and emerging international environmentalism

20 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

He added: "Because we can shut down the turbines, which have sluice gates in them, we can then stop surge tide coming through from the North Sea, like it did in 1953 and 2013, and stop it damaging the countryside and preserving The Wash as it is today."

wot he said ^^^  -  but water is water and can't be compressed, and if the surge doesn't occur in the wash, it will occur somewhere else, I wonder where that would be ..........................

why?

the surge is the result of the coastal configuration (like any significant inlet), which if dammed would eliminate the underlying causes of surge.

29 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

why?

the surge is the result of the coastal configuration (like any significant inlet), which if dammed would eliminate the underlying causes of surge.

The tide always comes in from the North . Big tide plus wind with it results in even bigger tide.

This will still occur but would be contained out side the barrier , possibly resulting in worse impacts  elsewhere such as North Lincolnshire and North Norfolk .

Edited by MartynG
  • Greenie 2

If they were to build the container port the roads in that part of the country would have to be hugely improved, and I'm guessing there isn't a decent rail link either. Geographically it's location is rather out of the way, and hundreds of lorries a day thundering through the villages and towns would be a nightmare for the locals and not good for the environment either. The cost of upgrading the existing roads and/or building of a new trunk road (such as the A14 to Felixstowe) would be astronomical and would also have environmental consequences too.

• Greenie 1

On 22/11/2022 at 11:21, MartynG said:

There would be a huge environmental impact .  Not just within the barrier but also outside and there would be coastal impacts  to the North and to the South. 

I am sure it would take years to assess those  impacts which are likely to be detrimental. So it will never happen.

If as you say it would take years to assess the environmental impacts, then how can you know for sure before that assessment takes place that the impacts would be huge? I think you're contradicting yourself.

On 22/11/2022 at 10:32, Alan de Enfield said:

Sometime soon those in power are goung to have to make the decision as to who survives - Humans or Sea birds / Seals or whatever ............

Tree huggers be dammed  if we are to reach the targets then some will have to have their hopes dashed.

Alan you forgot the most important life in the UK is the bl**dy bat.

Just now, buccaneer66 said:

Yeah like the Basy is never gonna be restored to Basingstoke because of all the ultra rare bats in the tunnel. Bloody millions of the feckers. (Am I allowed to say that?)

Similarly the thousands of building development plans across the land blighted by the presence of the ultra rare great crested newt, on every single one of 'em....

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Similarly the thousands of building development plans across the land blighted by the presence of the ultra rare great crested newt, on every single one of 'em....

New factory build where I used to work was delayed for ages because of newts, conservationist put up a load of fence with patic sheeting to pen them in.

The fence didn't survive the gypsy invasion, & they could give a monkeys about the newts.

11 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

New factory build where I used to work was delayed for ages because of newts, conservationist put up a load of fence with patic sheeting to pen them in.

The fence didn't survive the gypsy invasion, & they could give a monkeys about the newts.

Oh I thought them fences were to keep the pesky newts OUT. One near me had a newt bloke paid to turn up every day for a year and hunt the site for newts and bung them out over the fence, so when building started, there wuz none of the blighters left in there to be harmed....

Edited by MtB
Sp

1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

Over 5 years it took us to get planning permission for a new factory employing over 200 people.

It was derelict land  widely used by druggies and winos, there was one (smallish) tree in the centre of the 20 acre plot.

The local Bat-Group agreed there was no sign of bats using the tree, BUT, they explained it was an ideal tree for bats to use if they were looking fo a tree to 'rest up for the day after a night on the town', and WE had to monitor it for several years and prove that there was no bat usage.

Combine that with the 'Newt patrol' who insisted that a puddle (only in existence as after heavy rain) was a Crested Newt habitat and it must have cost us well over £1m  in delays and costs.

Manchester City Council ...........................................

We could have gone to Warrington and would have had a new factory built and paid for by the Council + all sorts of grants but we wanted to stay and support the local workforce. The company had been in business in that locale since 1933.

Animals are pointless. I suppose they get a bit of attention in the form of humans wanting to eat them and also some people like watching wildlife films but other than that not interesting. Get rid.

Fast forward a few years and the humans are in Dire Straits very badly. Full scale societal collapse and the end of civilisations. It will happen very fast and all hell will break loose.  Guess what is going to happen. You will get eaten by a tiger. They are sitting there waiting, and watching. When they come for you you will be wondering why the enormous collaborative brains of your fellow humans didn't see how obvious this outcome was and sort it out in advance. You can't do this sort of thing when you are in disarray and everyone is running around panicking due to the excessively hot earth they are walking on. 

Forewarned is forearrrmed.

I am just a messenger.

Before the European landmass brexited stage right and cruised off to form the north western part of Europe that land was a shallow inland area. By creating a tidal barrier we are following the vile work of the Europeans. Having insisted they go we should not copy them.

It is very counter to the new isolationist policy. We should let the fens flood. Inundate peterborough ( what’s to miss) , swamp Cambridge ( getting rid of the seat of Tory ‘learning’ and the corrupt elitist education system).

The remaining country will become more overcrowded assisting in rent and property prices for the elite. Countless square perches of land will require no maintaining, and the councils will reduce the pothole bill. The savings will be massive.

Levelling up will be inevitable  we will set a new high water mark in achievement. 

I condemn this vile European idea, barrages, tidal electricity,  wind farms solar panels humbug.

Let’s frack the welsh mountains, and send immigrants to mine the Scottish hills, in England we can send the children of the poor back up the chimneys while we burn glorious British coal.

perfidious Albion.

Apologies covid may  have turned me a bit Tory

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Let’s frack the welsh mountains, and send immigrants to mine the Scottish hills, in England we can send the children of the poor back up the chimneys while we burn glorious British coal.

With the repeal of compulsory state education, we'll have more poor children to both send up the chimneys and mine the coal. No need for immigrants at all. Keeping the lower orders uneducated makes them so much easier to control when there aren't any lefty teachers filling their little heads with nonsense like Marxism and quadratic equations. A risk though of child labour shortages leading to wage rises, reducing pit owners profits and causing a cost of living crisis for upper class families with chimneys to be swept, but at least there won't be any bolshie unions disturbing their natural subserviance to their betters.

Non existent global warming will finally fulfill the promise of Brexit by making the uplands sunlit. When they aren't on fire of course. For those of us who own upland grouse moors, sea level rise will make our uplands a bit less upland and bring in a bonanza of hovel building and slum rental income, rehousing the displaced. Instead of shooting grouse, we can hunt migrants for sport.

Seems turning a bit Tory is as catching as covid.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 1

Before the European landmass brexited stage right and cruised off to form the north western part of Europe that land was a shallow inland area. By creating a tidal barrier we are following the vile work of the Europeans. Having insisted they go we should not copy them.

It is very counter to the new isolationist policy. We should let the fens flood. Inundate peterborough ( what’s to miss) , swamp Cambridge ( getting rid of the seat of Tory ‘learning’ and the corrupt elitist education system).

The remaining country will become more overcrowded assisting in rent and property prices for the elite. Countless square perches of land will require no maintaining, and the councils will reduce the pothole bill. The savings will be massive.

Levelling up will be inevitable  we will set a new high water mark in achievement. 

I condemn this vile European idea, barrages, tidal electricity,  wind farms solar panels humbug.

perfidious Albion.

Totally agree, especially your bit about rents rising. Could do with some more of that, then I'll be able to buy myself another boat.

Might have to actually, given the sea level rises. 

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

It’s 4 am in the Uk for fricks sake. insomnia an issue. I am at least in an alternate time zone, and delirious with omicron. 
What’s your excuse for becoming Tory?

5am here in Kent 🙂