Cross the wash whilst you still can🤔

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Reduce upstream flooding, produce carbon less electricity,  create jobs and protect the fens. Mitigate global warming. 
or wait until the local eco sphere is degraded, to the point of stress on existing species, and their inevitable loss.

Do something bold and green. ( just put an electric railway on it or a rapid transit system on the top not another sodding road).

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Rising sea levels are going to do for the existing seal and sea bird habitats anyway. At least this project would contribute to mitigating that for other areas.

The RSPB bod on the wireless this morning was furiously knee-jerk objecting to this proposal on every ground he could clutch at like a good-un! 

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Tree huggers be dammed 

Surely it's the coastline which would be?

The plan gives an initially good impression: protection of coastline and low-lying land. lots of HEP, lots of jobs. But are seals and gulls able to adapt to moving house? I don't know.

There's also a reference in the piece to an existing plan for the protection of the Wash's coastline. What does this entail, and will the new one be more effective?

And finally....from which magic money tree will the two billion quid (or more) come?

Years ago think mid 70s when a scheme for a barrage in the wash was proposed, I was on the IWA council and went to a place near Abington where they had made a large a large detailed model of the wash and the river systems feeding into it. The tides were replicated and slit was feed into the rivers based on the known run off. They ran it for some years and decided it was not viable. This new scheme is further out and much larger but in all the blurb no mention was made of how to deal with the inevitable slit build up and I would be surprised if shipping lines would like a “port” exposed to the North Sea.

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sometime soon those in power are goung to have to make the decision as to who survives - Humans or Sea birds / Seals or whatever ............

Tree huggers be dammed  if we are to reach the targets then some will have to have their hopes dashed.

Similarly with on-shore wind farms. 

When the lights start going out I bet the BANANAs will get steamrollered out of existence and wind farms pop up everywhere.

BANANA - acronym.  Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody.

• Greenie 1

He added: "Because we can shut down the turbines, which have sluice gates in them, we can then stop surge tide coming through from the North Sea, like it did in 1953 and 2013, and stop it damaging the countryside and preserving The Wash as it is today."

wot he said ^^^  -  but water is water and can't be compressed, and if the surge doesn't occur in the wash, it will occur somewhere else, I wonder where that would be ..........................

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

This would make the trip from Boston to the fens a doddle, pity that the bunny huggers will kill it stone dead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-63708269

There would be a huge environmental impact .  Not just within the barrier but also outside and there would be coastal impacts  to the North and to the South. 

I am sure it would take years to assess those  impacts which are likely to be detrimental. So it will never happen.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

As someone who lives in Norfolk, we dont have any desire to drive to Lincolnshire, especially quickly......

No but substitute a freight rail link from the ports to the ECML and that would be a winner.

The "green"  alternative will be interesting, the flooding of the fens, Ely will become and island once again along with Sutton. I wonder if @Athy will be above the flooding it's going to be touch and go🤭

22 minutes ago, Loddon said:

No but substitute a freight rail link from the ports to the ECML and that would be a winner.

The "green"  alternative will be interesting, the flooding of the fens, Ely will become and island once again along with Sutton. I wonder if @Athy will be above the flooding it's going to be touch and go🤭

And the sea birds and seals will all move there from the Wash, lowering the house prices by swimming through the abandoned ground floor rooms and nesting and bringing up their young in peoples bedrooms.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

And the sea birds and seals will all move there from the Wash, lowering the house prices by swimming through the abandoned ground floor rooms and nesting and bringing up their young in peoples bedrooms.

There are already seals as far inland as Earith 

2 hours ago, MtB said:

The RSPB bod on the wireless this morning was furiously knee-jerk objecting to this proposal on every ground he could clutch at like a good-un! 

RSPB rely on funding from people who care about the environment. Let's hope this scheme is put on to the back burner, and while we're at it, let's stop spending on other vanity projects which always go over budget and never pay  back.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

RSPB rely on funding from people who care about the environment. Let's hope this scheme is put on to the back burner, and while we're at it, let's stop spending on other vanity projects which always go over budget and never pay  back.

Did you miss the fact that there is going to be tidal electricity generation in the barrier?

Better prepare ourselves for flooding and saying goodbye to all low lying land.

we need to grasp every opportunity to generate power without using fossil fuels, which includes gas,  to even have the slightest hope of surviving.

Losing few species in one locality is a minor irritation compared to saving the planet.

Animals are competition at the end of the day.

Humans are in a unique position in that we (currently) have the power and tools to destroy all other animal lifeforms on the planet.

I reckon if we don't get on with it, fast, we will get serious problems in the future.

Kill them all. Every single one of them. ASAP we are in planet emergency mode now, no time for pleasantries or cute fluffy things.

Apart from anything else they are nicking the oxygen !

• Haha 3
  • Horror 2

36 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Animals are competition at the end of the day.

Humans are in a unique position in that we (currently) have the power and tools to destroy all other animal lifeforms on the planet.

I reckon if we don't get on with it, fast, we will get serious problems in the future.

Kill them all. Every single one of them. ASAP we are in planet emergency mode now, no time for pleasantries or cute fluffy things.

Apart from anything else they are nicking the oxygen !

I've had 3 seal sandwiches, a chipmunk butty and a partridge and a pear tree since yesterday. You can't say I have not been doing my bit for the cause.

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, MtB said:

Sorry MtB but I can guarantee he has a greater depth of knowledge and understanding of the effects than you have.  The RSPB now considers the whole of the ecosystem and biodiversity not merely birds.

Reduce biodiversity and you add to the problems climate change is causing, with regard to things like pests to crops etc.

50 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Did you miss the fact that there is going to be tidal electricity generation in the barrier?

Better prepare ourselves for flooding and saying goodbye to all low lying land.

we need to grasp every opportunity to generate power without using fossil fuels, which includes gas,  to even have the slightest hope of surviving.

Losing few species in one locality is a minor irritation compared to saving the planet.

The problem is "the few species in one locality can often be a large slice of the world population.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

There are already seals as far inland as Earith 

I first met one upstream in  St Ives .I think it was about 1988 ish .

Even had one visit the Bedford River Festival (and went beyond to Kempston) a few years ago- was quite a suprise when it swam past my mooring following a Festival visitors boat 😀

Edited by PaulJ