A 3rd Car in a week is Dumped in a West Midlands Canal

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Cars dumped in West Midlands canals leave charity with £30k bill - BBC News

Car being winched from canal in Dudley this week

The dumping of three cars in canals within a week could cost a charity around £30,000.

The vehicles were found in Tipton, Dudley and Solihull and needed cranes and lifting equipment to clear, the Canal & River Trust said.

Each removal operation costs about £10,000 and is "money we can't afford", it added.

The trust said it was "not sure what's going on" as three cars in one week was "not normal".

What are they thinking?  The cars are insured, or should be, so  CRT should be claiming their  removal (and storage) costs off the registered keeper, who will pass the claim to his insurer.

If vehicle not insured pass claim to the motor insurers bureau.  They have a fund for uninsured losses.

N

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, BEngo said:

What are they thinking?  The cars are insured, or should be, so  CRT should be claiming their  removal (and storage) costs off the registered keeper, who will pass the claim to his insurer.

If vehicle not insured pass claim to the motor insurers bureau.  They have a fund for uninsured losses.

N

The article does day that C&RT try to reclaim from the insurers but are not often successful so have to pay the £10k per time themselves.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Cars dumped in West Midlands canals leave charity with £30k bill - BBC News

Car being winched from canal in Dudley this week

The dumping of three cars in canals within a week could cost a charity around £30,000.

The vehicles were found in Tipton, Dudley and Solihull and needed cranes and lifting equipment to clear, the Canal & River Trust said.

Each removal operation costs about £10,000 and is "money we can't afford", it added.

The trust said it was "not sure what's going on" as three cars in one week was "not normal".

Funny-looking canal, that...!

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The article does day that C&RT try to reclaim from the insurers but are not often successful so have to pay the £10k per time themselves.

I have never failed to claim off an insurance company for 3rd party losses whether insured or no.

The legal department of C&RT is one of their largest with most managers and legals, time they got stuck in and made the claims stick.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, MtB said:

Funny-looking canal, that...!

I thought the same - though there is a mooring bollard in evidence so perhaps it's a short arm or part of a basin.

Funny looking car too - what sort of car thief would wrench a rear door off to get into it?

Just now, Athy said:

I thought the same - though there is a mooring bollard in evidence so perhaps it's a short arm or part of a basin.

Funny looking car too - what sort of car thief would wrench a rear door off to get into it?

The back door is still there - it is just 'open'

See the source image

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Look again. The door is open.

Not removed.

Cross post with Alan

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Its just open, to let the water out.

Nothing funny about that bit of canal, it’s the bottom of Delph locks.

A decent place to moor over night. 
Black Delph Bridge, I think it’s called. 

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have never failed to claim off an insurance company for 3rd party losses whether insured or no.

The legal department of C&RT is one of their largest with most managers and legals, time they got stuck in and made the claims stick.

Are CRT missing a trick?

Why not do it themselves and charge the insurance company ?

Edited by Goliath

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Are CRT missing a trick?

Why not do it themselves and charge the insurance company ?

Where are C&RT going to get the manpower and equipment from ?

They have even sold off their Tirfor winches in this last round of auctions - I very much doubt they have a 'big' crane hidden away anywhere.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I don't understand why they simply don't tell the insurer to get it shifted PDQ and charge £1000 a day demurrage until it is gone.

That's what farmers do when cars are dumped in the fields.

Its a legal department without teeth unless its about a boater behind with his licence.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Where are C&RT going to get the manpower and equipment from ?

They have even sold off their Tirfor winches in this last round of auctions - I very much doubt they have a 'big' crane hidden away anywhere.

Well, it’ll never happen will it.

However...it could be a good little earner.

This must be happening in odd spots all over the system.

Anyway this £10,000 figures has increased from the last report.

And where was the third car dumped? The image shown is the second car, the first was at factory locks.

(perhaps I should read the article 😳before I say owt else)

Just now, Goliath said:

(perhaps I should read the article 😳before I say owt else)

Why break the habit of a lifetime?😊  :icecream:

2 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Its going to be a frequent occurrence as it wipes all DNA< suspect thats why the door was left open to flood the insides too.  

Should definitely go through insurance, unless its been stolen, written off as disappeared, hidden away then used in a crime? 

It always has to be lifted with a door open else as the water surges end to end it will upturn the car. Lifted loads out of rivers and floods.

• Happy 1

21 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Black Delph Bridge, I think it’s called. 

We moored there about 18 years ago with our shareboat. Rain was absolutely teeming down so didn't fancy continuing up the locks although did manage to get to the pub opposite to dry out a bit. Souless pub as I recall.

10 minutes ago, pearley said:

We moored there about 18 years ago with our shareboat. Rain was absolutely teeming down so didn't fancy continuing up the locks although did manage to get to the pub opposite to dry out a bit. Souless pub as I recall.

Rubbish pub 👍

But if’d you’d have walked up the hill you’d have found a very good locals pub, the Vine/Bull & Bladder.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Goliath said:

nd where was the third car dumped? The image shown is the second car, the first was at factory locks.

1) Tipton Lock (Factory Lock No3) closed for recovery work

2) near the Tenth Lock pub in Brierley Hill this morning (November 16).

3) The subject of this thread

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

1) Tipton Lock (Factory Lock No3) closed for recovery work

2) near the Tenth Lock pub in Brierley Hill this morning (November 16).

3) The subject of this thread

I think we ‘ll find no2 and no3 are the same car.

The Tenth Lock pub is the rubbish pub we’ve mentioned. 

27 minutes ago, pearley said:

You didn't walk up the hill to the Bull and Bladder? 😲😲😲

I'd have done that even in a thunderstorm...

Edited by IanD

15 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Rubbish pub 👍

But if’d you’d have walked up the hill you’d have found a very good locals pub, the Vine/Bull & Bladder.

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

You didn't walk up the hill to the Bull and Bladder? 😲😲😲

I'd have done that even in a thunderstorm...

Wet enough. Bull and Bladder very good but I'm a fair weather drinker.