Another Apple iPad query

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

Not part of a boat but essential equipment.

iPad Air 2, a few years old.  Works fine, is a bit fussy as to quality of lightening connecter but good quality ones make good connection.

Will run all day, discharging down  to a few percent before recharging. Then strangely will recharge until between 80 and 86% depending on I know not what, then it stops charging. 

Disconnecting and reconnecting gives me a "not charging" message. Will not get to 100% charge under any circumstances.

Why please?

20 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

iPad Air 2, a few years old.  Works fine, is a bit fussy as to quality of lightening connecter but good quality ones make good connection.

Will run all day, discharging down  to a few percent before recharging. Then strangely will recharge until between 80 and 86% depending on I know not what, then it stops charging. 

Disconnecting and reconnecting gives me a "not charging" message. Will not get to 100% charge under any circumstances.

Why please?

Let it run completely out of charge (till it shuts down on it's own) and re-charge it.

I had this once when I was shackled to Apple. From memory I had to it a few times and it seemed to 'recalibrate' the battery meter.

4 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Let it run completely out of charge (till it shuts down on it's own) and re-charge it.

I had this once when I was shackled to Apple. From memory I had to it a few times and it seemed to 'recalibrate' the battery meter.

I thought 'lithium' guidance was to not let SoC drop below 20% and not to charge to over 80% SoC otherwise you reduce the life.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I thought 'lithium' guidance was to not let SoC drop below 20% and not to charge to over 80% SoC otherwise you reduce the life.

It is. But what we seem to have here is an inaccurate meter, so we don't know what the actual SOC is. If it is re-set as I describe then Tracy can re charge it as per the oft. recommended regime if they wish.

I make no guarantee my suggestion will work I just know when my (long since given away) iPad started doing this I dug about for a solution and this was suggested by somebody on the Apple Community.

So I tried it and it worked for me.

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But that is probably accounted for in the charging and discharging algorithm. It will probably shut down at a true 20% charge or whatever Apple deem an acceptable lower limit.

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But that is probably accounted for in the charging and discharging algorithm. It will probably shut down at a true 20% charge or whatever Apple deem an acceptable lower limit.

TBH (on older models at least) I don't think it is. Apple would probably prefer you to trash your battery and think you need to replace the whole iPad.

Cynical? Moi?

Just now, M_JG said:

TBH (on older models at least) I don't think it is. Apple would probably prefer you to trash your battery and think you need to replace the whole iPad.

Cynical? Moi?

I don't know enough to comment but if the makers of Alde/Lidle rechargeable tools can prevent charging at extremes of temperature then I am sure the technology is out there.

I had my androids out as a child.

Thanks all, seems inconclusive as usual. I may try backing off to the cloud then running it flat. If all else fails I'll dump it in a canal and get C&RT to recover it for the insurance as is the fashion at the moment.

I do see the same sort of behaviour on the boat with my iPhone, and also with my iPad which is USBC, so not specific to Lightning for me.

My phone spends much of its time on a 3m Lightning cable with the phone on the cratch board (as we use the phone as a router), my iPad is on a 2m USBC cable.  They are both off a double USB socket which is wired to the same supply as the TV and is at the front of the cabin, ie. a long way from the batteries.

So I think there is a bit of voltage drop issue going on.  What usually gets the device charging again for my is if you switch off the USB and back on again (not just pull the cable and plug back in).

I get none of these issues at home on mans chargers, although the iPad does prefer its supplied charger with it higher output.

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I had my androids out as a child.

Thanks all, seems inconclusive as usual. I may try backing off to the cloud then running it flat. If all else fails I'll dump it in a canal and get C&RT to recover it for the insurance as is the fashion at the moment.

There is this.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208710

But I don't think your iPad 2 can have the required update installed.

Too old.

Edited by M_JG

21 minutes ago, Slim said:

Only ever had one I Pad and soon ditched it for Androids so first hand knowledge limited. However, my Lenovo tablet has a setting to limit charge to a max of 80% Maybe your I pad has something similar. 

My Lenova charges to 100%, apparently, discharges all the way below 3% 

Do you mean I need to change settings?

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Can't really say. On mine it's called 'battery saver' and can be found in Settings -Battery. The text backs up the claims that charging to 100% is detrimental to battery longevity. 

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

It will I suspect depend on the version of Android you have.

Mrs M_JG's Lenovo Tab is fully up to date but is only Android 10 which is at least two versions behind the latest.

Hers doesnt appear to have the facility to limit the max. charge. only limit certain activities and brightness when the level gets to a pre set low level.

On 21/11/2022 at 10:26, Tracy D'arth said:

Why please?

Charging using what power source? I have a much older iPad3 that still charges to apparently 100% on a mains charger. 

Have you looked at the battery settings - does it tell you how much of the original battery capacity remains?

12 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

Charging using what power source? I have a much older iPad3 that still charges to apparently 100% on a mains charger. 

Have you looked at the battery settings - does it tell you how much of the original battery capacity remains?

On the original iPad mains charger.

Battery capacity look like it always did.

ipad service checked it out, declared the lead to be poor even though its a genuine one. Bought a new one and a seat in the House of Lords I think at the price and it does seem to be charging to 100% reliably now.

Interestingly despite all the YouTube vids showing how, Apple officially declare the socket to be not replaceable, buy a new IPad at £500+.