Solo boater

petejj1104

Featured Posts

A lot depends on when you are planning to do this trip?

Use https://canalplan.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi to help you plan, it will take about 6 days at 7 hours a day, but I've not checked any stoppages.

I've been solo boating for 8 years now, you just take things slowly. Double locks, I only open 1 side, takes a bit longer, but you've time to have a rest. Single locks take me about 17 minutes a lock if they are set against me, and 12 minutes if they are set in my favour, that is quicker than some boats with crew.

Take your time and enjoy.

Kevin

• Greenie 2

Even with two of us I will usually single hand the boat through locks in a flight as Mrs-M will set ahead.  Work yourself out a routine for how you want to work locks and don't let others mess up your routine.  Most important is keep focused on your boat when it is in a lock and don't get distracted by others as things can go wrong very quickly.

• Greenie 2

Yes just take your time and don't allow yourself to be hurried by impatient and inexperienced hire-boaters etc.  Don't allow yourself to get distracted by other people at locks, whether bystanders or other boaters... while you are in the lock you are in charge, make sure others respect that.  If you are nervous about it just talk to other boaters about what is ahead and share locks and locking with folks who clearly know what they are doing, have crew etc.  You'll be fine.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, petejj1104 said:

So I bought a boat a month ago and find myself suddenly single. I am relatively new to boating but I did the Helmsman course.  Should I be worried about solo locks etc moving the boat from Daventry to Mercia? Any tips appreciated. Thanks Pete. 

Take your time. 

and stay single 👍😃

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would recommend that any single hander only uses the paddles on one side in wide locks, it will take a few minutes longer, but if things go wrong you wont have time to drop the paddles both sides before its too late.

Indeed, plus it keeps the boat your side of the lock...

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, The Gravy Boater said:

Yes just take your time and don't allow yourself to be hurried by impatient and inexperienced hire-boaters etc.  Don't allow yourself to get distracted by other people at locks, whether bystanders or other boaters... while you are in the lock you are in charge, make sure others respect that.  If you are nervous about it just talk to other boaters about what is ahead and share locks and locking with folks who clearly know what they are doing, have crew etc.  You'll be fine.

All excellent advice.

In addition, I'd say moor up by a lock and spend a morning or afternoon watching other boaters work through it. You'll soon figure out what to do especially from watching the other single handers do it. 

I'd echo GB's advice not to get distracted by interference by other boaters. In your early days I'd suggest stopping and mooring up if necessary to get rid of boater company, at least until you have developed your own method/technique.

• Greenie 1

Dont even think about taking the River Soar/Trent route at present with the unsettled and wet conditions. A month ago it would have been a doddle, it's now up and down like a prime ministers wallpaper. Theres one boat been rescued at Sileby, and a plastic dangling off the towpath precariously.

It's a good easy route round the other way, the hardest locks are the ones you hit first at Buckby if coming from Whilton or Weedon

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 3

3 hours ago, MtB said:

All excellent advice.

In addition, I'd say moor up by a lock and spend a morning or afternoon watching other boaters work through it. You'll soon figure out what to do especially from watching the other single handers do it. 

I'd echo GB's advice not to get distracted by interference by other boaters. In your early days I'd suggest stopping and mooring up if necessary to get rid of boater company, at least until you have developed your own method/technique.

Anyone who is new and certainly solo should take their time if they possibly can.  I wish I'd had that luxury.  I did the blitz across the midlands with no prior experience.  But the kindness of strangers is a thing that the OP will encounter again and again.

• Happy 1

10 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

It's not even impatient people, when one is starting one is very slow, and aware of that, it can't be helped, you need to build a routine for you and your boat.

You can talk to others, just apologise if you are slowing them

If they are hire boaters, they may have a technique which is just paddle opening with no regard for the boat. I find that experienced boaters will put my boat through at a steady pace, and use eye contact, sometimes thumbs up helps.

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

Dont even think about taking the River Soar/Trent route at present with the unsettled and wet conditions. A month ago it would have been a doddle, it's now up and down like a prime ministers wallpaper. Theres one boat been rescued at Sileby, and a plastic dangling off the towpath precariously.

It's a good easy route round the other way, the hardest locks are the ones you hit first at Buckby if coming from Whilton or Weedon

🤣 that made me chuckle. Going to have to nick that as a) less crude than the lady of the night's underwear and b) more recent than the Assyrian empire.

• Happy 1

30 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

🤣 that made me chuckle. Going to have to nick that as a) less crude than the lady of the night's underwear and b) more recent than the Assyrian empire.

Up and down like a #10 removal van.

Ladies of the night don't wear underwear dear! Takes too much time, profit wasting.

That door and next door's is plastic coated, not paint, you know.  There are spare ones already to be hung, fitted, in case of damage, at the works dept.

The number of time it has been opened  recently it will need new hinges soon.

There is no truth in the rumour that a revolving door is planned.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

16 hours ago, rgreg said:

The most useful book you'll ever read when learning to single-hand:

https://www.canalbookshop.co.uk/home/boating/going-it-alone.html

I bought that before I tried single handing and found that it stated the bleeding obvious. OK perhaps if you haven't at all boated before, but if you have a bit of experience you'll soon work out what works for you.

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I bought that before I tried single handing and found that it stated the bleeding obvious. OK perhaps if you haven't at all boated before, but if you have a bit of experience you'll soon work out what works for you.

I found much the same. I'd hoped for some advanced insight into solo boating given I was buying a whole book on the subject, but like you I was disappointed. 

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

To be fair, it's not rocket-science, but for the novice there are some nuggets in the book. It's so long since I've read it that I've just fished it out of the cupboard and checked to confirm this.

On 20/11/2022 at 18:36, ditchcrawler said:

I would recommend that any single hander only uses the paddles on one side in wide locks, it will take a few minutes longer, but if things go wrong you wont have time to drop the paddles both sides before its too late.

Good advice,  but I'd also recommend that a route with single locks can be more pleasant even if it looks longer on paper. 

I've just taken a boat from Banbury to Mercia and due to the stoppage at Streethay had to take the long way around,  via Birmingham. 

The GU was tempting but solo, and working either end of the day I opted for the North Oxford/Birmingham Fazeley. 

I don't mind single locks in the dark,  but the Hatton flight wouldn't be fun.

2 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Good advice,  but I'd also recommend that a route with single locks can be more pleasant even if it looks longer on paper. 

I've just taken a boat from Banbury to Mercia and due to the stoppage at Streethay had to take the long way around,  via Birmingham. 

The GU was tempting but solo, and working either end of the day I opted for the North Oxford/Birmingham Fazeley. 

I don't mind single locks in the dark,  but the Hatton flight wouldn't be fun.

Totally agree. As a singlehander a narrow lock generally takes me about ten minutes but a wide lock on the K&A set against me is 30 mins easily. Same with the GU Braunston, Buckby etc. Hatton are nice and quick but I agree with DC, using just one paddle seems safer especially in the rain, frost, dark or just plain tired or exhausted.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I have two centrelines. A  very long one is best. The other is a back up but still long.

Someone needs to keep you under control then eh? Lol!

Out of interest, do you have two centre lines on your boat too? 

:giggles:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hopefully OP is following the CRT stoppages - I see the closure has just been extended on the Coventry until 29th which may or may not affect his plans.

Alrewas/Wychnor River section also shut today too -another one worth keeping an eye on once he does clear the Coventry..

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

I have two centrelines. A  very long one is best. The other is a back up but still long.

I drop them down the hatch so they don't fall in.

I use two centre lines. Works fine. 😊 Done what I can to stop the lines catching on the solar panels, but they do occasionally snag. Two lines avoids most of that. And less fuss when a line needs throwing up onto the lock sides. 

Edited by Higgs