12v fridge to buy or not ?

petejj1104

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I live on my boat and it is a bit different, but most electronic stuff is 12volt. My inverter is off most of the time 

think the only thing I do very different is laundry. I have a washing machine but no drier, one would need to be in a marina  in winter I have the stove on 24/7, so wash and drying socks or a T shirt can be done day to day. A   launderette is better for bedding and jeans etc

Yes so by the sounds of it you're living the 12v caveman lifestyle that Mrsmelly was referring to. It doesn't have to be like that if you have a half decent electrical system. I can easily run my washing machine from my inverter/engine or direct from the generator and I wash jeans and bedding all the time. The last thing I want to do is visit a launderette. I haven't done that for nearly 20 years.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Yes so by the sounds of it you're living the 12v caveman lifestyle that Mrsmelly was referring to. It doesn't have to be like that if you have a half decent electrical system. I can easily run my washing machine from my inverter/engine or direct from the generator and I wash jeans and bedding all the time. The last thing I want to do is visit a launderette. I haven't done that for nearly 20 years.

I don't have a problem with a launderette. It takes an hour and under £20 to have all laundry for a month done and dusted. They are not like the ones you went to twenty years ago.

If I had the washing machine going, it needs the engine running, generally done when moving, also needs water, I do not want wet clothes hanging around for the rest of the day, and I have adapted to boat living, although I have to run the engine in winter  I would not want to buy a little generator (how do you pass the BSC?), and buy petrol every week. I lived in  houses for years, and always used a washing machine. I prefer my current system. I have the option.

NB The cavemen were around for six thousand years without doing the environmental damage man has done in the past forty years. 

Edited by LadyG

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't have a problem with a launderette. It takes an hour and under £20 to have all laundry for a month done and dusted. They are not like the ones you went to twenty years ago.

If I had the washing machine going, it needs the engine running, generally done when moving, also needs water, I do not want wet clothes hanging around for the rest of the day, and I have adapted to boat living, although I have to run the engine in winter  I would not want to buy a little generator (how do you pass the BSC?), and buy petrol every week. I lived in  houses for years, and always used a washing machine. I prefer my current system. I have the option.

NB The cavemen were around for six thousand years without doing the environmental damage man has done in the past forty years. 

Just to add, most modern electronic devices like phone, tablet, router etc etc do not need 240v, this is the latest technology, no longer do we need Sky/BSB satellite dishes on the roofs of every country cottage in Wales. 240 v is surely an anachronism, an outlier in the world of electricity.

The future is smarter 

Edited by LadyG

12 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

But you don't even need to do that... as others have said, just turn it off at night. In most circumstances it will be fine until morning.

Risky. 

If you keep warming up your food overnight and cooling it in the day, you WILL shorten the same time to eat it in. Especially the food in the freezer. 

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I lived the 12 volt caveman lifestyle for a few years. I then bought a boat with a mastervolt set up and saw the light. The half an amp standby it took was bugger all in the scheme of things. The on 24 hours a day inverter enabled all mains equipment, this gave VASTLY more choice over 12 volt stuff and every item was very very much cheaper. The electrolux travel power was used for heavy stuff. Your set up that put you off going mains was probably just not thought out well, what did you not like about it?

The treadmill of constant battery recharging. How did you do yours? 

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Risky. 

If you keep warming up your food overnight and cooling it in the day, you WILL shorten the same time to eat it in. Especially the food in the freezer. 

There probably is a bit of a trade off, but less so in winter, and it would hopefully reduce power consumption levels, I'm managing without a fridge, at the moment. I have busted one that needs replacing and I haven't made my mind up on what to buy. Homes used to have just a pantry with some kind of stone shelf. 

Edited by Higgs

28 minutes ago, Higgs said:

There probably is a bit of a trade off, but less so in winter, and it would hopefully reduce power consumption levels, I'm managing without a fridge, at the moment. I have busted one that needs replacing and I haven't made my mind up on what to buy. Homes used to have just a pantry with some kind of stone shelf. 

Homes with a pantry, had that pantry on the shaded part of the house, which was not centrally heated.

We had a pantry, in those days fridges were rare, this was 1955.

The cows were milked at 04.00 am and the milk delivered by 08.00. 

In winter the pavements were iced over and we children built up "slides" with leather soled shoes with metal "segs"

Mother stayed at home, shopped daily, the Sunday roast was made in to shepherd's pie or some such on Monday.

The butcher had half carcasses of beef hanging in his shop to age (customer side), sawdust on the floor to absorb blood .

It was cold throughout the house in winter due to draughts from coal fire. Obviously fitted carpets were also unusual, draughts throughout the house.

Of course there was no frozen food, very little fresh vegetables, and plenty of sliced white bread (plain ie square, or pan, which was very like cotton wool), but it was sliced bread!

it's a lot warmer nowadays. Night time temperatures at 8C for the last few weeks, it's really mild.

Edited by LadyG
Ah

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I'm happy for you, but I definitely do have a problem visiting a launderette, I guess it's horses for courses. Lots of boats have generators. You think that automatically means the boat can't pass the BSC? 

You also think your lifestyle doesn't cause any environmental damage and is somehow greener than those with mains electricity? Think again.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Just to add, most modern electronic devices like phone, tablet, router etc etc do not need 240v, this is the latest technology, no longer do we need Sky/BSB satellite dishes on the roofs of every country cottage in Wales. 240 v is surely an anachronism, an outlier in the world of electricity.

The future is smarter 

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Your posts just get more ridiculous everyday!

• Haha 1

Update.

I went out for coal and could see my breath, so it's now cold enough to put the cooler box outside at night. :)

Of course I'm doing damage to the environment, just as little as I can when I have a sensible option. All electricity users use fossil fuel, whether historically or at this moment in time.

If I can buy stuff that is wrapped in paper not in thin film plastic , I do so. If I think my waste can be recycled I put it somewhere it is most likely to be recycled.

I am no eco warrior, but they have a valid point.

These COP summit meetings are influential.

The planet needs to be managed. It's taken twenty five years for the global warming effect to be accepted worldwide as scientific fact. 

Those who did not turn up to the Conference are not "global warming deniers", they just dont want to be asked awkward questions. 

Edited by LadyG

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Homes with a pantry, had that pantry on the shaded part of the house, which was not centrally heated.

In winter the pavements were iced over and we children built up "slides" with leather soled shoes with metal "segs"

Mother stayed at home, shopped daily, the Sunday roast was made in to shepherd's pie or some such on Monday.

The butcher had half carcasses of beef hanging in his shop to age (customer side), sawdust on the floor to absorb blood .

It was cold throughout the house in winter due to draughts from coal fire. Obviously fitted carpets were also unusual, draughts throughout the house.

Of course there was no frozen food, very little fresh vegetables, and plenty of sliced white bread (plain ie square, or pan, which was very like cotton wool), but it was sliced bread!

it's a lot warmer nowadays. Night time temperatures at 8C for the last few weeks, it's really mild.

But we we’re happy 😁tell the kids today,they won’t believe you.🤨🤨🤪

29 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Cue the Hovis advert music.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

The treadmill of constant battery recharging. How did you do yours? 

True. But in reality the small amount extra was negligible. When off grid mooring we ran the boats engine daily for a tank of hot water and to charge the batteries. When we were properly as in moving ccing we moved nearly every day, so the engine was running. On a mooring with mains such as thrupp etc, then we were plugged in, immersion etc etc. We ran the engine on 12 volt set up boats just as often with 12 volt stuff. Some solar sometimes. The main reason for us was that we could use any standard shop bought equipment with ease. and of course the added attraction of it not being a billion pounds an item. We never, ever switched our fridge off overnight, that is as you say a recipe for disaster. There is one thing worse than storing food in too warm an environment and that is cycling the temperature it is kept at. Funnily enough we never turn the fridges off in the house each night, we have a system that can cope with it, thats what is needed on a boat.

• Greenie 2

49 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

There is one thing worse than storing food in too warm an environment and that is cycling the temperature it is kept at.

Having been in the 'food trade' (as we have) you will be fully aware that Fridge and Freezer temperature daily records are one of the most checked items by the 'food inspectors'.

It is understabdable that those who do not have their 'Food safety Certificates' will be ignorant of the problems of temperature changes and will make these odd suggestions.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Risky. 

Dammit I've just noticed a typo and its too late to change it. I thought I typed "you WILL shorten the safe time to eat it in."

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

True. But in reality the small amount extra was negligible. When off grid mooring we ran the boats engine daily for a tank of hot water and to charge the batteries. When we were properly as in moving ccing we moved nearly every day, so the engine was running. On a mooring with mains such as thrupp etc, then we were plugged in, immersion etc etc. We ran the engine on 12 volt set up boats just as often with 12 volt stuff. Some solar sometimes. The main reason for us was that we could use any standard shop bought equipment with ease. and of course the added attraction of it not being a billion pounds an item. We never, ever switched our fridge off overnight, that is as you say a recipe for disaster. There is one thing worse than storing food in too warm an environment and that is cycling the temperature it is kept at. Funnily enough we never turn the fridges off in the house each night, we have a system that can cope with it, thats what is needed on a boat.

For a retired CCer like you cruising every day I can see it would be easy. But for me with the day job, running the engine when I get home from work in winter is tedious to say the least, so unnecessarily wasting an Amp of battery discharge 24/7/365 when so easily avoidable by using 12v appliances is just nuts! 

That's a further 24AH per day, when my total leccy consumption was about 50AH per day.

In Spring/Summer/Autumn it doesn't matter as the solar kept the batts 100% all the time but in winter, God turns that OFF in my experience. So bloody unreasonable of her! 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

For a retired CCer like you cruising every day I can see it would be easy. But for me with the day job, running the engine when I get home from work in winter is tedious to say the least, so unnecessarily wasting an Amp of battery discharge 24/7/365 when so easily avoidable by using 12v appliances is just nuts! 

That's a further 24AH per day, when my total leccy consumption was about 50AH per day.

In Spring/Summer/Autumn it doesn't matter as the solar kept the batts 100% all the time but in winter, God turns that OFF in my experience. So bloody unreasonable of her! 

Caveman Images | Free Vectors, Stock Photos & PSD

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Risky. 

I tend to do this, but never thaw and re freeze frozen food.

When I had a freezer. . I bought half a Swaledale lamb or mutton etc to put in freezer in the garage. This was a saving. Most freezers are pointless imho, cost of freezing, cost of keeping frozen. If you have a kitchen garden and access to quality foods it's. OK, commercial freezing is essential for retail fish.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Having been in the 'food trade' (as we have) you will be fully aware that Fridge and Freezer temperature daily records are one of the most checked items by the 'food inspectors'.

It is understabdable that those who do not have their 'Food safety Certificates' will be ignorant of the problems of temperature changes and will make these odd suggestions.

I got fed up saying that a long time ago. I wonder why the manufactures bother fitting thermostats rather tan a timer to turn it on for 6 hours during the day. I wonder if people in hoses with smart meters just run them when the lecky is cheap?

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I got fed up saying that a long time ago. I wonder why the manufactures bother fitting thermostats rather tan a timer to turn it on for 6 hours during the day. I wonder if people in hoses with smart meters just run them when the lecky is cheap?

Perish the thought that you may have raw meat on a shelf above cooked meats (or anything else)

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Perish the thought that you may have raw meat on a shelf above cooked meats (or anything else)

I don't. I have also spent time in the food industry, food hygiene certificate many years expired (do the expire?) When I worked Offshore all my team did the food hygiene thing as we use to take food to un-maned installations.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't. I have also spent time in the food industry, food hygiene certificate many years expired (do the expire?) When I worked Offshore all my team did the food hygiene thing as we use to take food to un-maned installations.

An even more terrifying thought, if you turn the fridge off at night and forget to switch it back on in the morning, you would end up with warm beer :o

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

An even more terrifying thought, if you turn the fridge off at night and forget to switch it back on in the morning, you would end up with warm beer :o

Jeez, are telling us... gulp.... you are a .... a ..........

L*ger drinker? 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Jeez, are telling us... gulp.... you are a .... a ..........

L*ger drinker? 

:lol: I was waiting to see who would be first lol. Worse than that!! I like proper beer served COLD :o