'pointless' Need some help collecting narrowboat data

toppy007

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone 

I am on the hunt for data from narrow boaters, I created a discussion on the student project for a narrow boat value estimation program. I've had a lot of comments about the project. I just wanted to set this topic up so people could access the link to the questionnaire more easily.

<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfa6nIrVYM8PhyEX1qUBbhw0BRmmuN8VsOJ0bDljV_RJZA3yQ/viewform?embedded=true" width="700" height="520" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">Loading…</iframe>

The link is https://forms.gle/dHw5J6dihtVws3K16

I've had 9 people take part and would like to get to 400

use this topic to make suggestions on it, if you don't understand a section or feel things can be worded better.

Also let me know if you can recommend anywhere to get people to take part.

Kind Regards 

Chris

and if you want to discuss any aspects of the idea please have a look at the narrowboat valuation program discussion.

Please 

Screenshot 2022-11-18 09.37.43.png

I've now tried to answer your questionaire, but fell at the first hurdle. My boat was valued in the sense that I paid an agreed price for it. I did initially have a problem entering the date as the format is generally dd.mm.yyyy but yours is inversed. But I then fell at the next hurdle as I bought it in the Netherlands and paid for it in Euros.

I did assume that although you talk of 'narrow boats' it was meant to include wide beam vessels as well - is it in fact restricted to just narrow boats. Would grp cruisers come into your remit for example?

Tam

Do you intend that this questionnaire is to be filled in only by people who have bought or sold a boat? It certainly appears so, so if that's the case it would be useful if you noted this at the beginning. 

Also, you have spelt 'bought' incorrectly in the first question. I suggest you get someone to spell check the questionnaire.

I’ve done it, but had to omit some info.

Last “valuation” was done with a survey at Reading which google tells me is in Berkshire, this was not an option in the list.

No idea of the age of our batteries, an “unknown” option may be useful.

And if you’re interested in typos, you list “bow truster” instead of “bow thruster”

Ok thanks everyone. Will get on the spell check and later. I'll add Berkshire. 

As long as you answer the questions based on the time the boat was valued! Via purchase or sold or valued (brokerage) I'm happy to collect that data from that date it was done.

As for a boat from aboard thanks for trying to fill it out but yes I have kinda set it up for UK canal boats narrow or wide because of the data required to add such features. 

But once again big thanks.

My spelling sucks big time. so apologies

I notice that not only is the questionnaire branded Google, with all that means for confidentiality and copyright etc, but it refuses to allow one to move through the pages to review the questions unless you have completed some mandatory ones on the page.

It seems the OP has not grasped that many boats are not valued by brokers, but by individuals probably based on internet/magazine add searching and then negotiation.

14 hours ago, toppy007 said:

As for a boat from aboard thanks for trying to fill it out but yes I have kinda set it up for UK canal boats narrow or wide b

Although we bought this boat in the Netherlands we brought it back to the UK, but I could only get further along with the questionaire when I cheated a little and said it was bought in London. However I still found it almost impossible to give meaningful answers to many of the questions. I think this would be the case for anyone who has spent several years on canals, especially if they have bought and sold several boats in that time. At the end of the day value is what the buyer feels it is worth to him, and an experienced person will have a lot more information to base that upon.

Tam

5 minutes ago, Tam &amp; Di said:

Although we bought this boat in the Netherlands we brought it back to the UK, but I could only get further along with the questionaire when I cheated a little and said it was bought in London. However I still found it almost impossible to give meaningful answers to many of the questions. I think this would be the case for anyone who has spent several years on canals, especially if they have bought and sold several boats in that time. At the end of the day value is what the buyer feels it is worth to him, and an experienced person will have a lot more information to base that upon.

Tam

Ok thanks Tam. I'm aiming for 400 data sets so everything is useful even if you had to get creative. 

12 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Neither the shell builder or the fit out company for my boat were listed so I gave up as I could go no further.

Hi thanks for the attempt. Would you mind sharing those details so I can add them in? I'll also add a other section. As I'm sure this will happen again too.

Regards

That was hard work - I had to fudge some answers to get them to fit.

Only a purchase price - what about when I sold it 2 years later for a £10,000 'profit'. Do I have to go all the way thru the questions again to put a 'sold' price in ?

On 'heating' there is only an option for a 'gravity feed diesel heater' and no option for the likes of Webasto or Eberspacher

Questions "what is the age of the batteries ?" the drop down box does not give age options, so when I click on the year 2015 it looks as if my batteries ar 2,015 years old Change tite to 'when were the batteries installed'.

44 minutes ago, toppy007 said:

Hi thanks for the attempt. Would you mind sharing those details so I can add them in? I'll also add a other section. As I'm sure this will happen again too.

Regards

Shell builder Malcolm Pearson last build 1994

Fitter Phoenix Narrowboats closed about 1997

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That was hard work - I had to fudge some answers to get them to fit.

Only a purchase price - what about when I sold it 2 years later for a £10,000 'profit'. Do I have to go all the way thru the questions again to put a 'sold' price in ?

On 'heating' there is only an option for a 'gravity feed diesel heater' and no option for the likes of Webasto or Eberspacher

Questions "what is the age of the batteries ?" the drop down box does not give age options, so when I click on the year 2015 it looks as if my batteries ar 2,015 years old Change tite to 'when were the batteries installed'.

Thanks Alan 

I've changed that question to your suggested wording thanks.

I'd class Webasto & Eberspacher as electrical diesel heaters which I've got as an option. (Or would you think a better wording was apt?) 

All answers should relate to the date associated with the value you have stated.

It seems you've put yourself through enough pain for one day. unless your a gluten for punishment then you don't need to bother repeating the exercise.

tho it would be interesting to have in the data set. 

thanks

20 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Shell builder Malcolm Pearson last build 1994

Fitter Phoenix Narrowboats closed about 1997

Thanks ill add them

is there a particular reason the dates of fabrication only go back as far as 1911? There’s still plenty of boats about that were built before 1911. 
So the year dates of fabrication need to be extended back further. 

I would think it easy enough to add iron to the list of hull materials, and even add ‘composite’(?),for those boats with wooden bottoms?

which then brings in the question of a year of conversion, if indeed the boat has been converted from a working boat to a ‘leisure’ boat. 

can get a bit complicated. 
Good luck. 

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

is there a particular reason the dates of fabrication only go back as far as 1911? There’s still plenty of boats about that were built before 1911. 
So the year dates of fabrication need to be extended back further. 

I would think it easy enough to add iron to the list of hull materials, and even add ‘composite’(?),for those boats with wooden bottoms?

which then brings in the question of a year of conversion, if indeed the boat has been converted from a working boat to a ‘leisure’ boat. 

can get a bit complicated. 
Good luck. 

Ok yeah sure. Thanks

16 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Perhaps the lesson to be learned by @toppy007 is not to do questionnaires on a forum frequented by crusty old Pedants. 

Its cool 

11 minutes ago, MtB said:

The thread title says otherwise! 

I'm not sure he has actually defined the parameters - it looks a bit like 'work in progress ...................

Here he says narrow and wide boats

On 19/11/2022 at 18:26, toppy007 said:

..........I have kinda set it up for UK canal boats narrow or wide ...............

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Not confined to narrow boats so I  completed the questionnaire .

No questionnaire is going to fit all circumstances but some folks seem easily confused.

However you cannot discover that unless your answers let you get beyond the first page.

Tam