dead ipad

XLD

Featured Posts

Looks like my 8 year old ipad has given up the ghost. It wont charge up any more. Could be it needs a new battery. I'll take it in for a technician to check it, but I'm wondering if I buy a new one, can I transfer EVERYTHING over fro the old one?

13 minutes ago, XLD said:

Looks like my 8 year old ipad has given up the ghost. It wont charge up any more. Could be it needs a new battery. I'll take it in for a technician to check it, but I'm wondering if I buy a new one, can I transfer EVERYTHING over fro the old one?

Apple (and Google) make it very easy these days to transfer stuff to a new device.

As long as stuff has been backed up to icloud.

21 minutes ago, Chris John said:

As long as it’s been backing up to the cloud it’ll all be stored there. 
Have you tried cleaning out the charge port with maybe a toothpick to make sure that the charge lead is making good contact?

Indeed, I had my second hand Lenova written off by one shop, but bought a new cable (£8!) from another, and its working fine.

52 minutes ago, XLD said:

is the charger at fault?  do you have any other devices you can test?

33 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

^^^ What he said. I had the same problem. Turned out the charging cable had developed a fault - probably an internal break in the wire. New cable and several years later, still going strong.

44 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Another vote for ^^^^^ wot Rob said

Just last week old Android phone stopped charging. Battery life is poor now but just stopped charging completely. It was the charger USB lead that had failed

First thing to check is that the charger, or more specifically the lightning cable, is working ok, by charging another device with the same charger/cable.

An 8 year old iPad is probably not worth investing too much in, you will be really surprised about how much better the performance of a new one is.

It could be the battery, but you would think in that case it would work when plugged in as it would get at least a bit of power. It could be the charge port that has failed, those are replaceable in a phone shop, at least ones on iPhones are I had one replaced on an old iPhone 5.

In terms of setting a new one up, you just use the same Apple ID and it will ask you in the initial power on sequence if you want to set up as new or clone the existing one.  It will be indistinguishable from the old one once finished with all your apps and data.  You will need another Apple device on the same if to allow you to authorise the new device on the Apple ID.  When my wife’s iPhone when dead we could not set the new one up simply as she only has the one Apple device, it is still possible by setting up as default adding the device to the Apple ID, then doing a reset of it and setting up to the Apple ID now the device is added.  The Apple help line will walk you through doing it, or make a genius. bar appointment and go into an Apple shop and they will do for you.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Data transfer is not always perfect. When my wife got a new ipad, the Apple store transferred her data across, but managed to lose most of her contacts.  

And to me that is a good reason not to trust the cloud. Still, I suppose it keeps punters tethered to one product line.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

First thing to check is that the charger, or more specifically the lightning cable, is working ok, by charging another device with the same charger/cable.

An 8 year old iPad is probably not worth investing too much in, you will be really surprised about how much better the performance of a new one is.

It could be the battery, but you would think in that case it would work when plugged in as it would get at least a bit of power. It could be the charge port that has failed, those are replaceable in a phone shop, at least ones on iPhones are I had one replaced on an old iPhone 5.

In terms of setting a new one up, you just use the same Apple ID and it will ask you in the initial power on sequence if you want to set up as new or clone the existing one.  It will be indistinguishable from the old one once finished with all your apps and data.  You will need another Apple device on the same if to allow you to authorise the new device on the Apple ID.  When my wife’s iPhone when dead we could not set the new one up simply as she only has the one Apple device, it is still possible by setting up as default adding the device to the Apple ID, then doing a reset of it and setting up to the Apple ID now the device is added.  The Apple help line will walk you through doing it, or make a genius. bar appointment and go into an Apple shop and they will do for you.

When Mrs M_JG updated her iPhone a couple of years back we did it without a third Apple device as there was only two in the house at the time, her old iPhone and her new one. (I use Android).

So I can't think how we did it without the other Apple device, unless we used iTunes on our PC perhaps???

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Data transfer is not always perfect. When my wife got a new ipad, the Apple store transferred her data across, but managed to lose most of her contacts.  

Not saying this is the case here but when we did it with iphones we ran into difficulties due to Mrs M_JG's phone not being up to date nor properly backed up due to being low on space in her iCloud. It transpired she had been ignoring warnings on her phone.

Once she updated it and bought a bit of space for £1.59 pcm (Clever trick Apple!) it all went swimmingly.

16 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Not saying this is the case here but when we did it with iphones we ran into difficulties due to Mrs M_JG's phone not being up to date nor properly backed up due to being low on space in her iCloud. It transpired she had been ignoring warnings on her phone.

Once she updated it and bought a bit of space for £1.59 pcm (Clever trick Apple!) it all went swimmingly.

indeed, in the world of Apple, an upgrade always resolves 'problems' ... :)

18 minutes ago, M_JG said:

When Mrs M_JG updated her iPhone a couple of years back we did it without a third Apple device as there was only two in the house at the time, her old iPhone and her new one. (I use Android).

So I can't think how we did it without the other Apple device, unless we used iTunes on our PC perhaps???

Don’t know if you can use iTunes, but you can do what I briefly described if you don’t have a working device on the Apple account, the support from Apple for us when we hit this was excellent, the Apple person  stayed on the phone with us quite a long time right through the process.

How good the restore it will of course depend on when the dead device was last backed up, which can be a challenge on the boat for us as we use the phones for all internet access, and it used to only do backup when on wifi.  We have in the past had to “suffer” an hour in a pub just to have wifi for the phones to backup.  I think you can now opt to allow the phone to backup using themobile network, probably a recognition that many people are not limited by data allowances anymore.

22 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Why do people mainly use the Cloud system? What's wrong with caddy drives and memory sticks? I use the latter and transfer to the storage systems I have. 

From what I can tell it is the default system on even old iPhones, you do not seem to be able to set one up without being "given" cloud storage and I bet its the same with many Android phones. You can see from the odd comment here about buying/having to buy more clod storage it is a nice little money earner, an ongoing surcharge for ownership.

Also, you need to be tech-savvy to depart from the basic setup and motivated to do it, many people aren't so pay the price. It appears to make things convenient so the herd gets screwed.

41 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Why do people mainly use the Cloud system? What's wrong with caddy drives and memory sticks? I use the latter and transfer to the storage systems I have. 

Because it just works using the cloud.  All your devices sync with the cloud, so for example if you take a photo on your iPhone, then that photo will be synced to the cloud (ie backed up) and pushed out and available on your iPad within minutes, probably less, and you don’t have to do anything.

36 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Because it just works using the cloud.  All your devices sync with the cloud, so for example if you take a photo on your iPhone, then that photo will be synced to the cloud (ie backed up) and pushed out and available on your iPad within minutes, probably less, and you don’t have to do anything.

It's never going to catch on with me. Not a luddite, but I'm happy to have all that stuff on a caddy, with a touch of extra effort involved. 

3 hours ago, XLD said:

Took the ipad into an Apple recommended service shop. They said charging port was kaput and can't be repaired as it's part of the motherboard! 🤔 So I had to buy a new one.

Too late now, but Apple are more interested in you buying a replacement than in repairing the old one. A non-Apple, but approved by them shop will also have to follow Apple's policy on what can and cannot be repaired. In practice, being part of the motherboard is not necessarily a barrier to replacing the connector as it is just soldered down. There are other, non-Apple approved, repair shops that can do this; difficulty depending on model.  Apple are notorious for making their products hard to repair and spend a lot of money on buying politicians to stop any repairability, or right to repair laws. For them, the punter buying a new one is always the best outcome.

6 hours ago, XLD said:

Took the ipad into an Apple recommended service shop. They said charging port was kaput and can't be repaired as it's part of the motherboard! 🤔 So I had to buy a new one.

Surprised at that, the charge ports are replaceable, £20 I think, in an iPhone, so why not in an iPad.  Was this in the Apple shop or just a generic phone fixing shop?

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

Surprised at that, the charge ports are replaceable, £20 I think, in an iPhone, so why not in an iPad.  Was this in the Apple shop or just a generic phone fixing shop?

It was a shop recommended by Apple but not a actual Apple shop🤔. So do you think that the charge port could have been repaired?

6 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Too late now, but Apple are more interested in you buying a replacement than in repairing the old one. A non-Apple, but approved by them shop will also have to follow Apple's policy on what can and cannot be repaired. In practice, being part of the motherboard is not necessarily a barrier to replacing the connector as it is just soldered down. There are other, non-Apple approved, repair shops that can do this; difficulty depending on model.  Apple are notorious for making their products hard to repair and spend a lot of money on buying politicians to stop any repairability, or right to repair laws. For them, the punter buying a new one is always the best outcome.

I'll take it to an independent repair shop and we'll see what they say.

Edited by XLD

6 minutes ago, XLD said:

It was a shop recommended by Apple but not a actual Apple shop🤔. So do you yhink that the charge port could have been repaired?

Have you still got the old iPad?

or did they take that off your hands. 

I bought a new iPad last year after the old one got slow and couldn’t be updated. Was maybe 8 or 9 year old 🤷‍♀️  
The new one is great. 

To add: never had a problem with the syncing of new igadgets. 

what I do like about the Apple stuff is the security. Never had any trouble or bothersome reminders to update flashing on the screen. 
I may be out of date with it all but my memory of other stuff is the constant irritating reminders of security or anti virus whatevers popping up on screen. 

Edited by Goliath