hot water taps just slightly trickling after initial turn on

markc

Featured Posts

Hi There all, I hope someone can help me! my hot water taps on the boat are working initially on turn on, then after  20-30 seconds  just very slightly trickles, cold water is fine and the water pump is kicking in as it should, any ideas? my boat had previously ran out of water beforehand? please send any advice 

kind regards 

Mark

Calorifier or instant gas water heater? I suspect the latter and also suspect the boat is new to you. If it is an instant gas water heater find the instructions and you may be able to increase the flow but to the detriment of water temperature. If it is a calorifier I have no answer apart from a stuck NRV or a blocked pipe.

37 minutes ago, markc said:

Thanks tony, yes its a calorifier, the system is 3 years old

But has it worked as expected in the past? If so then I go with Tracy. I suppose that you have better check that the PRV is not venting loads of water when the pump runs, but that does not really fit the symptom.

This is what we know:

The cold water is fine so as most, but not all boats, use the same pump for hot and cold water the pump and its pressure switch should be OK. If you have a separate pump for hot water then it is possible its pressure switch is playing up, but how it builds up the initial pressure with a  faulty switch (open circuit) is beyond me unless it is just pressure from the expanding water as it is heated. If it were then you would not get the spurt if you try it a few seconds later.

A blocked pump strainer should affect both hot and cold equally, so we   are back to a partial blockage in the hot system. Do you have a thermostatic mixing valve that might have jammed? However, I suspect that would just provide lots of cold water from the hot taps. Could you been messing with any valves when you ran out of water.

1 hour ago, markc said:

iv just got the one pump, ran out of water late evening, then filled up the next morning, and this is the result?

My guess is that with the tank virtually empty the pump sucked up some crud from the bottom of the tank, and this has now blocked something in the hot water pipework. Most likely candidates are the non return valve on the calorifier input or thermostatic valve on the calorifuer if you have one. I think now is the time to start dismantling the pipework.