Petrol and Diesel boats to be phased out

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Petrol- and diesel-powered boats face being phased out of use on the Norfolk Broads, as the area's authority aims to reach carbon-zero status within the next two decades.

The Broads Authority (BA) has outlined its goal to reduce emissions to zero by 2040 in its latest five-year plan. It hopes to achieve carbon neutrality ten years earlier, by 2030.

While the targets relate to the organisation and its activities, rather than to the waterways themselves, the document does emphasise how the BA intends to encourage boaters to switch from petrol and diesel vessels to electric craft.

The organisation has also been working with researchers and businesses on its 'Electrifying the Broads' project to explore what infrastructure might be needed to transition the Broads boating industry to electric, for example by increasing the number of charging points.

In 2019, when the authority was looking at increasing the toll it charges people to use vessels on its waterways, it decided to charge diesel and petrol vessels a higher increase of 2.9pc, while users of unpowered, hybrid and electric boats were only asked to pay an extra 1pc.

More here :

Norfolk Broads: petrol and diesel boats to be phased out | Eastern Daily Press (edp24.co.uk)

Will C&RT be following their lead ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Click bait. The Broads Authority has no plans to phase out such craft - because it doesn't have the powers, and HMG hasn't any such plans, either. It's just more stupid sensationalism by the EDP, a publication not even worthy of wrapping your fish and chips in.

3 minutes ago, Paladine said:

Click bait. The Broads Authority has no plans to phase out such craft - because it doesn't have the powers, and HMG hasn't any such plans, either. It's just more stupid sensationalism by the EDP, a publication not even worthy of wrapping your fish and chips in.

From the article.

He stressed that there was no intention to 'ban' the use of fossil fuel boats.

1 minute ago, Paladine said:

HMG hasn't any such plans,

Yes they do and their plans are published with time tables :

3 key dates 

2025 - all boat built must be capable of being converted to zero emission propulsion

2035 -only zero emission propulsion boats can be built

2050 - only boats with zero emission proulsion systems can be used on UK waters (Inland and coastal)

Just one extract from the document :

By 2025 we expect that:  All vessels operating in UK waters are maximising the use of energy efficiency options. All new vessels being ordered for use in UK waters are being designed with zero emission propulsion capability. Zero emission commercial vessels are in operation in UK waters.

The fact that both inland and costal waters are included is mentioned several times in the document.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

How long do they think five years lasts?

It's Norfolk, both time and maths are very different (as I'm sure you know) - for example Norfolk's numerical system is based on '12s' rather that 10, primarily due to the number of fingers a large proportion of the population have. 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

3 key dates 

2025 - all boat built must be capable of being converted to zero emission propulsion

2050 - only boats with zero emission proulsion systems can be used on UK waters (Inland and coastal)

By 2025 we expect that:  All vessels operating in UK waters are maximising the use of energy efficiency options. All new vessels being ordered for use in UK waters are being designed with zero emission propulsion capability. Zero emission commercial vessels are in operation in UK waters.

The fact that both inland and costal waters are included is mentioned several times in the document.

Will the necessary legislation to be enacted before or after the next general election?

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It's Norfolk, both time and maths are very different (as I'm sure you know) - for example Norfolk's numerical system is based on '12s' rather that 10, primarily due to the number of fingers a large proportion of the population have. 

I should be deeply upset, offended etc etc... but its funny! :)

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

3 key dates 

You posted that 2 years ago. Reading up on it, it seems to be aimed at commercial vessels rather than leisure boats. In any case, it's an expectation rather than a commitment.

Some (very few) Broads hire boats are being built with electric motors for propulsion (and diesel generators to boil the kettle). The public charging infrastructure provided by the Broads No-Authority at some of their 24hr public moorings is totally insufficient to support such a change. Many of the more popular moorings are so remote that the cost of providing charging facilities would be prohibitive.

It is often said the the CEO would like to see all powered vessels removed from the Broads. If that happened the Broads tourism industry would simply die. Boat tolls provides him with over half his income. Turkeys voting for Christmas spring to mind.

"The government has pledged to end the sale of petrol and diesel cars by 2030, but similar plans have not yet been set out for boats that use fossil fuels."

That's from the EDP article.

Edited by Paladine

2 minutes ago, Paladine said:

You posted that 2 years ago. Reading up on it, it seems to be aimed at commercial vessels rather than leisure boats. In any case, it's an expectation rather than a commitment.

I did indeed, and since that date there has been a lot of the planned new infrastructure approved (and even started building) 

If anyone wants to read the document behind all this, you'll find it here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/815664/clean-maritime-plan.pdf

As I said earlier, it's directed towards commercial shipping.

Nothing to see here, Please move along. 😉

• Haha 1

Just now, Paladine said:

Not on the Broads it ain't.

I'm not talking about 'electric charging bollards' I'm refering to the huge infrastructure in the North East, (hydrogen generation and bunkering) Manchester /Cheshire (feeding Hydrogen into the gas mains system) and Oxforshire (Ammonia synthesis) to name just a few.

I'm sure with a little research you could find all the details - and maybe even more.

8 minutes ago, Paladine said:

As I said earlier, it's directed towards commercial shipping.

And when you read it you will see that they plan to control the use of 'zero emmission fuels' via the RTFO

................... Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation (RTFO). As well as applying to the road sector (on a mandatory basis) and aviation sector (on an optional basis), the RTFO currently applies to fuel suppliers for the non-road mobile machinery (NRMM) sectors, the definition of which includes inland shipping and recreational craft that do not normally operate at sea

We have discussed this so many times - IT will happen, it is happening I'll leave you to ignore it if you wish.

40 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not talking about 'electric charging bollards' I'm refering to the huge infrastructure in the North East, (hydrogen generation and bunkering) Manchester /Cheshire (feeding Hydrogen into the gas mains system) and Oxforshire (Ammonia synthesis) to name just a few.

I'm sure with a little research you could find all the details - and maybe even more.

Your opening post was Broads-specific. As I only do my boating on the Broads and you wish the discussion to be about commercial shipping, I'll leave you to it.

As I said at the outset - click bait.

2 hours ago, Paladine said:

The BA have been installing electricity points at a much higher rate than ether SRT or EA for years.  https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/electric-boat-charging-points

Edited by ditchcrawler

From wading through the Clean Maritime plan document, the only type of vessel for which electric propulsion was considered appropriate, was ferry boats used for short crossings, which would be able to charge their batteries at their terminals.  The solutions envisaged for other vessels were alternative green fuels for non-electric types of propulsion which it hopes will be developed.. It is directed to vessels having a home port, and nothing in the document  appeared to be appropriate to canal boats, only to inland waterways used for commercial shipping. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The BA have been installing electricity points at a much higher rate than ether SRT or EA for years.  https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/electric-boat-charging-points

As one who sails on the Broads all year round, I know from experience that they aren't installing any new charging posts. a) they can't afford to and b) all the easy locations have been installed. At the height of the season, you'd be very lucky to find a vacant connection. For electric vessels to be anywhere near viable on the Broads there would have to be a charging point for every 24hr mooring space. It ain't ever gonna happen.

31 minutes ago, Paladine said:

As one who sails on the Broads all year round, I know from experience that they aren't installing any new charging posts. a) they can't afford to and b) all the easy locations have been installed. At the height of the season, you'd be very lucky to find a vacant connection. For electric vessels to be anywhere near viable on the Broads there would have to be a charging point for every 24hr mooring space. It ain't ever gonna happen.

As I said "they HAVE been installing" and it is a lot more than CRT or EA. it may not be enough but its better than the rest

• Greenie 1