Webasto Diagnostics.

Brian422

Featured Posts

I suspect the Combustion Air Fan is faulty; no turbine whine on start, Water Pump working, but I'd like to make sure before going any further.

Unfortunately the cost of Webasto diagnostic device is really expensive.

I'd be grateful for any feedback from users of device linked below:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402121622145

Regards and Thanks

Brian.

Do you not have a flashy light on/next to your on/off switch? I have a simple pilot on the switch. 

Some idiot (OK, me) turned the diesel off when leaving the boat and forgot to turn it back on. Shiny new Webby worked for a short while - about a pipes-worth of fuel on return -  then shut down. Sequence of flashes on switch indicated 'fuel'. Cue inspiration "I know what I've done ...."

On 16/11/2022 at 14:11, Brian422 said:

I suspect the Combustion Air Fan is faulty; no turbine whine on start, Water Pump working, but I'd like to make sure before going any further.

Unfortunately the cost of Webasto diagnostic device is really expensive.

I'd be grateful for any feedback from users of device linked below:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402121622145

Regards and Thanks

Brian.

I use very similar by modifying my existing vag-com lead (for diagnostic use on VW group cars). Got the details from a Russian Internet forum translated by Google translate! Worked OK with 2 different era eberspacher heaters, not tried with webasto. 

4 hours ago, Brian422 said:

Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts.

I don't have a dedicated power switch just a Timer with manual override for instant operation.

Interested in vag-com suggestion as have RossTec; will investigate.

Regards

Brian.

Hmm? How do you know when it's 'on', apart from the obvious noise/heat? Do you not have at least a pilot light indicating on/off?

I only have an on off with a built in pilot. When it's on the pilot is on. If it doesn't 'fire up' that pilot flashes and the pattern of flashes translates into a diagnosis of a fault.

Do you just turn up your timer/override and wait for noise/heat?

• 1 month later...

Diagnostic kit took 6 weeks to arrive but given the distance and current postal strikes quite understandable.

Haven't yet used because away from boat and Webasto is current sitting on bench.

Dismantled Combustion Fan housing, found motor seized and what looks like oil residue, not diesel, possibly from fan bearings inside housing.

Have purchased replacement.

Just hoping that motor didn't draw excess current and damage electronics.

Unfortunately removing motor for further examination would mean damaging fan. Perhaps will when curiosity gets the better of me.

Regards

Brian.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Managed to remove Combustion Fan Motor from housing without damaging Fan. Quite a lot of oil on gasket and between gasket and housing; bolts securing motor to housing were loose.

Shaft rotation notchy - possibly commutator or damaged bearing; source of oil.

Still no joy in getting W.T.T. to communicate with Webasto; haven't given up yet!

Edited by Brian422
  • Greenie 1

I've attempted multiple new installs without success. Having requested details to enable items return have been contacted by seller and given step by step instructions. I'm not convinced as software is more focused on W-Bus protocol; my Thermo Top C is the Analogue version. However, will follow instructions and report back on results.

21 hours ago, matty40s said:

This is why we pay for the proper Webasto diagnostic kit, and software, with full technical backup from Webasto if needed, so you guys can enjoy your boating and get your Webastos fixed properly.😁

Purchased kit before attempting Webasto repair but only required Webasto Trouble Shooting Guide.

Purchased Ross Tech Full VCDS shortly after buying VW saloon because as we all know modern vehicles are complex, unlike Webasto Water Heaters, and without diagnostics it's impossible even to diagnose any problems. I use VCDS regularly just to keep an eye out for any potential problems. Thinking o purchasing OBDEleven for convenience.

If I was servicing Webastos regularly then I would purchase 'proper' Webasto diagnostic kit but as it might not be used more than once or twice a year .... .

• Greenie 1