Another Black Country Car 'blockage'.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

'Erre we go again ..............................

A second car has been dumped in a canal in the Black Country in the space of just three days. The roof of the latest vehicle was spotted in the water near the Tenth Lock pub in Brierley Hill this morning (November 16).

Car dumped in canal days after luxury Land Rover hauled out by crane (msn.com)

One person added: "You can’t park that there!" Another said: "Can folks stop dumping cars in Black Country canals please."

Someone else pointed out: "Well they’re talking about closing some canals (was on central news last night!) due to costs of upkeep and it’s a cost £5000 to remove a car from the canal…. So some fool has just put another nail in coffin for British waterways"

That set me thinking ! If your car is stolen and later involved in an accident or in this case dumped in a canal, is your insurance company still liable? I think most policies cover named drivers which the thief won't be . 

Edited by haggis

9 minutes ago, haggis said:

That set me thinking ! If your car is stolen and later involved in an accident or in this case dumped in a canal, is your insurance company still liable? I think most policies cover named drivers which the thief won't be . 

My understanding is no the ins. co. wouldn't be liable. The driver is uninsured (unless authorised to drive by the policy holder on some policies). Happy to be corrected though.

This would then kick in.  (It's funded by all ins. cos).

https://www.gov.uk/compensation-victim-uninsured-driver

Edited by M_JG

That's my understanding too but it has been mentioned on both " vehicle in the canal " threads that the insurance company would pay and I wondered if my understanding was wrong. So, C& RT will have to foot the not inconsiderable bill for hauling the cars out. Not good !

What if all cars registered in the Birmingham/Wolverhampton/Black Country connurbation had to have CaRT licenses as well as pay vehicle excise duty? A car under 4m and 1.8m beam would cost £594.37 a year, which should more adequately compensate CaRT for the cost of fishing them out of their waters. They'd have to have CaRT index numbers, along with DVLA plates, and display the license in the windscreen. 😀

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

8 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What if all cars registered in the Birmingham/Wolverhampton/Black Country connurbation had to have CaRT licenses as well as pay vehicle excise duty? A car under 4m and 1.8m beam would cost £594.37 a year, which should more adequately compensate CaRT for the cost of fishing them out of their waters. They'd have to have CaRT index numbers, along with DVLA plates, and display the license in the windscreen. 😀

Can they license wheelie bins, shopping trolleys and mopeds as well to cover the cost of hiking them out.  There are usually plenty of them at Icknield Port that have been fished out.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

That's my understanding too but it has been mentioned on both " vehicle in the canal " threads that the insurance company would pay and I wondered if my understanding was wrong. So, C& RT will have to foot the not inconsiderable bill for hauling the cars out. Not good !

Unless commercial outfits and charities can claim from the MIB, but I have no idea if they can or cannot.

I suspect the latter.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Would the additional C&RT licence also mean that all Black Country cars will have to be fitted with a tiller and require a BSS.

56 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Would the additional C&RT licence also mean that all Black Country cars will have to be fitted with a tiller and require a BSS.

All the usual rules. Fortunately, most cars already have what Americans call fenders at the bow and stern. Having to get your car through a Boat Safety Scheme inspection as well as an MOT is going to be tricky.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

3 hours ago, M_JG said:

My understanding is no the ins. co. wouldn't be liable. The driver is uninsured (unless authorised to drive by the policy holder on some policies). Happy to be corrected though.

This would then kick in.  (It's funded by all ins. cos).

https://www.gov.uk/compensation-victim-uninsured-driver

I think (but stand to be corrected) that there is a difference between damage caused by the stolen vehicle and recovery of the vehicle - technically the insurance company (a) need to recover the vehicle to asses the claim and ( b) assuming it's a total loss they then own it and would be required to remove it anyway - on the latter if it still belongs to the insured then their losses in recovery are covered by the insurance. 

I have once had a car stolen and it was recovered by my breakdown company having been found abandoned with their sticker in the window - they billed my insurance company for the recovery (the car was repairable so it wasn't a total loss) 

My understanding is the MIB is a "last resort" underwriter/insurer for instances where the car is genuinely uninsured. However in this case, its likely that the car was insured at the time, and limited coverage for damage to third parties such as this would be covered by the insurer. They can of course, recover losses from elsewhere, eg if they knew who stole it they could go on to sue them/try recover their losses.

6 hours ago, haggis said:

I seem to remember the basic third party insurance covered fire and theft.

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I seem to remember the basic third party insurance covered fire and theft.

No - it never used to, you had :

TP (Third Party)

TPFT (Third Party Fire & Theft)

FC (Fully Comprehensive)

What are the different types of car insurance?

As well as picking an insurance policy, you will need to make a choice around the level of cover for your car. This will establish what you can and cannot claim for in the event of an incident, and what works best for your driving habits.

Third party

The minimum level of insurance a driver in the UK needs to have is third party car insurance.  This is a legal requirement in order to drive within the UK, and covers damage or injuries caused to other parties in the event that you get into an accident. However, this level of insurance does not cover you for any personal injury costs or vehicle repairs, meaning you will have to pay for these entirely yourself.

Third party, fire, and theft

One level up from this is third party, fire and theft insurance which packages third party insurance with additional cover against accidental damage from fire or arson, and losses sustained through theft. While you still don’t get any financial assistance towards repairing your own car after an accident, it can help give you extra coverage and reassurance above just third party insurance.

Comprehensive

Finally, the highest level of cover you can get is comprehensive car insurance, which includes everything from third party, fire and theft insurance as well as cover towards repairs for your car after an accident. Fully comprehensive policies vary in detail from insurer to insurer, so it’s always good to check exactly what’s included and what you’re entitled to.

Curiously nowadays I find a request for TP insurance results in a quote higher than fully comp.

I imagine this is because fully paid up members of the Awkward Squad tend to have more and bigger insurance claims than normal people. 

2 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Didn't Volkswagon attempt to tow a Beetle across the Channel as a publicity stunt to demonstrate how effective the  door seal was? I don't think it managed to go all the way though.

Goggle found this link..Apparently the attempt only failed because a sea-sick reporter passenger opened a window instead of using  the sun roof!

https://blog.heritagepartscentre.com/blog/2015/02/19/unique-vw-beetle-cross-channel-attempt-photographs-uncovered/