Heating a widebeam

Hailiwidebeam

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Bod said:

"As for the stove I am unsure of the make. It apparently came out of a cottage."

This could be most of the problem, the flue, chimney is too short, not all domestic stoves work well in boats, with short flues. less than 2metres, most houses are greater than 3-4 metres.

Change the stove for one known to work well in boats.

Bod

Cheaper to try and extend the flue if that’s th problem?

3 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Cheaper to try and extend the flue if that’s th problem?

Would confirm if that was the fault.

It's not unknown to see long lenghts of flue liner waving about above boats, trying to improve the draw.

Bod

56 minutes ago, booke23 said:

The OP's problem is it's burning coal too quickly, so I don't imagine there is a problem with flu draw.

Is he sitting there with the front doors wide open letting the heat out or is the fire burning away without heating the boat?

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is he sitting there with the front doors wide open letting the heat out or is the fire burning away without heating the boat?

Is that a relevant, the fire will use roughly the same amount of coal.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Is that a relevant, the fire will use roughly the same amount of coal.

Yes because if he is burning what he considers to be to much coal and the boat is still cold he probably isn't If the doors are wide open to let the heat out then yes it is burning more than need be.

Looking at the picture I suspect it is a no name stove - doesn't look like one of the  well respected brands. Without a few more pictures of the doors, door seal, vents, grate it's hard to be sure but I wonder if it's just not a good stove as booke23 said.

I was given a newport cottage stove which is basically cheap Chinese shite but looks quite nice. I use it as chimnea at my mooring which is all it's fit for. it's great for sitting round on those late summer / early autumn evenings, but wouldn't use to it heat a garden shed...  

I'd echo what others have said and say check all the/door vent seals and any joints between side panels /top plate. A bit of fire cement or high temp silicone might work wonders. 

Whats going on with the flue ? Seems to be a load of debris on top of the stove and the flue looks very badly joined together? 

13 hours ago, Bod said:

"As for the stove I am unsure of the make. It apparently came out of a cottage."

This could be most of the problem, the flue, chimney is too short, not all domestic stoves work well in boats, with short flues. less than 2metres, most houses are greater than 3-4 metres.

Change the stove for one known to work well in boats.

Bod

An expensive and difficult solution, it's a bit daft to have a secondhand stove of u known efficiency installed when half the cost would be installation.  But it's too early to throw money at the problem.

He will still need to manage any replacement.

10 hours ago, booke23 said:

We might have been to save them the bother with more information!!

He's sent for the cage. He's a newby with his stove it's going be trial and error, while the advice from the forum is of value, he has to put it in to practice. I've been on board for three years with my stove, and I have to do different things all the time. It takes about two hours to get it to a stable condition. I use Firelighters, kindling, different logs, and premium coals, plus I'm sitting by it, but I will accept these limitations against replacing with a Squirrel or other brand as it is still cost effective. A new stove, is going to cost up to £3K installed .

Edited by LadyG

16 hours ago, LadyG said:

No, it just seems to be the stove, If I clear the grate I seem to lose a lot of heat so it takes Firelighters plus kindling to get it going again. I try to keep a shovel with warm dry coals ready to top up, but the answer seems to be keeping everything quite hot.

Ok. To revive the fire if it's nearly out, don't poke it at all just open the bottom vent fully and open the door by about 1/2'' ajar. When it's burning red again then gently poke the grate and put more fuel on. This holds good for all multi fuel stoves really, I've installed many stoves for folk and showed them the best way to use them. Chinese stloves vely glood tloo, glood clast ilon that not bust like way over pliced Morso.

Edited by bizzard

11 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Ok. To revive the fire if it's nearly out, don't poke it at all just open the bottom vent fully and open the door by about 1/2'' ajar. When it's burning red again then gently poke the grate and put more fuel on. This holds good for all multi fuel stoves really, I've installed many stoves for folk and showed them the best way to use them. Chinese stloves vely glood tloo, glood clast ilon that not bust like way over pliced Morso.

Yep, as I say I have to try all sorts of strategies to revive it. Includes throwing kindling on red embers plus a nice little split silver birch, I'd say it often works if the Gods are willing, but I still need to attend to the base, and once I start messing about too much I end up with ashes red hot to be emptied.

Even if I get a Morse at £1200, plus the back boiler, it still needs to be fitted, probably a new interior chimney,  the local boatyard seem to charge about £500 for practically anything. They are not unique in this pricing policy.