Best Breed of Dog for Canal Boats

saltyseadog

Featured Posts

:cheers:

What breed of dog is best suited for the canal boat - I was thinking of getting a hunting dog but I am concerned that the dog will

follow it's instincts & dive in & chase every bird or small animal it sees.

There must be a breed that is suited to the canal boat & the life style thats associated with it.

Any ideas!

saltyseadog

I have done lots of thinking about dogs of late.

I am looking for a border collie/collie crossbred because they are (usually) very intelligent and can look after themselves in most situations. Also I would want a dog that is trainable to a high level so that it didn't chase bikes, reliably comes when called and will stay when told, especially when manovering a boat.

What breed of dog is best suited for the canal boat - I was thinking of getting a hunting dog but I am concerned that the dog will

There must be a breed that is suited to the canal boat & the life style thats associated with it.

Any ideas!

saltyseadog

West highland white terriers are fantastic dogs small,fit well into NB,s and bark as loud as big dogs they draw lots of attention wherever you take them and my pair running up and down the roof are a brilliant sight to behold, oh by the way one of my bitches has just given birth to a really good litter of 5 pups, if you want 1 or 2 we have 3 girls and 1 boy for sale at £500 each they have very good blood lines (Ashgate) sorry for the sales pitch!

Any ideas!

saltyseadog

I have seen a large variety of dogs on the canals including a wolf. I think that a well bred Lurcher is probably the best alrounder and brings home the dinner.

Edited by Yoda

Lurcher, without any shadow of a doubt.

But remember these are a mongrel, so choose the parentage well......Collie cross if possible. Definately NOT a Saluki cross.

Sorry but DO NOT buy a pup. There are 1000s of unwanted dogs needing good homes, simply because we breed too many.

ALL dogs will show unwanted or unacceptable behaviour, so any problems that come with the dog can be retrained to only do acceptable behaviour.

A small lurcher will quite happily snooze away for hours while you are cruising....and when trained to can be exercised by running alongside on the towpath for a spell.

If I hadn't ended up in my situation I would never have considered these dogs. Now I wouldn't consider any other.

I have 5 cockers, and they are a fabulous sight when they are all on the roof in their life jackets. I love em all to bits, but they (well 1 in particular)can be a handfull with the wildlife, especially birds, ducks and geese, as they are flushing dogs. I'm hoping they eventually settle down into their new life.Unless you want to go hunting, I'm not sure my breed are ideal for boats, even thought they are a nice compact size and lovely natured.

West highland white terriers are fantastic dogs small,fit well into NB,s and bark as loud as big dogs they draw lots of attention wherever you take them and my pair running up and down the roof are a brilliant sight to behold, oh by the way one of my bitches has just given birth to a really good litter of 5 pups, if you want 1 or 2 we have 3 girls and 1 boy for sale at £500 each they have very good blood lines (Ashgate) sorry for the sales pitch!
Does that mean you're keeping one of them? Edited by kookie

Ohhh....I've just come back from my weekly pilgrimage from the Dog's Trust Kennels. I took a B/W English Springer Spaniel for a walk. Lovely dog - 1 yr old, nice nature and apart from tripping over his ears, seems a good chap.

I'm going back tomorrow with The Beardy Ken so he can be part of the decision. :cheers:

definatley not a labrador!!! They love to swim, chase ducks etc are too big etc. We have a lab, oscar lovely chap very friendly but on a boat he would be a nightmare. We have seen several labs in the canal on our trips and one was really frightening. he had jumped in right next to a lock, after a duck, and wouldn't come to the bank a real problem to other boats arriving at the lock the owner was really worried as other boaters just ignored the dog and plowed through

Also a couple of years ago we went on a hotel boat hol (never again but thats a different story!!) and the owners elederly dog fell into a lock as we were just locking down, I managed to grab its coller and haul it out but I do question how owners leave their dogs wandering around locks/boats, some are very brill, I love to watch them walking across the gates but most are not that experienced, I also really love to see them wearing lifebellts. :rolleyes:

Border Terriers seem to have a brilliant personality and not too big - not sure how trainable they are though.

We know of someone who has just moved on to a boat that has 5 (or it might be 6) Newfoundlands - A little cramped methinks.

We have two terriers, Tilley the Border - hyper, and Scruffy the Cairne - chilled

The photo sums them up (bit like a pullme-pushme)

The picture is on our old cruiser from which neither ever fell in, on the first trip aboard our new narrowboat both went in, Tilley saw another Border, got excited and splosh!, she swam to the side and was pulled out by the dog walker and she promptly had a go at his Border - star turn!

med_gallery_4550_257_44912.jpg

Our first dog was a border collie, well trained and did a bit of competition work with her.However she hated boating,and was very nervous of the engine sounds, the rocking, any bumps and knocks in locks. I spent more time walking the tow path than boating. She only settled when moored up. After she had died (sob) we got a recue mongrel. She was 5mths old when we had her and is now 5yrs old. Shes very well trained but harder work and more patience needed as she is not so quick to understand. She loves boating and as shes always lived aboard is used to engine noises etc. Shes good around locks and likes to help open the gates by putting front paws on the beam, she always gets an aww from gongoozlers. She knows not to chase ducks and steps aside when on the towpath for cyclists, walkers. All in all a good boat dog. :rolleyes:

We have a 3 year old border collie, Murphy, I think we are lucky with his temprement as he loves boats. He's been on a fair few in the last couple of years and now lives aboard. He's quite happy to sit on the stern with me while we're cruising and loves to run between locks when one of us is on the bank. As long as he gets a good play/run in the morning and evening he's very settled, never chews anything and is happy to curl up at our feet infront of the Morso in the evening.

SSA40083.jpg

Edited by Lesd

:rolleyes:

Any ideas!

saltyseadog

I've inherited a half share in a Bolognese.

Bloody hopeless!

At least if he had a 3/8" BSP-T thread on his arse I could screw him on a drain rod and he'd be good for getting cobwebs down and he's a pretty good totty magnet.

(Have a look on google images under bolgnese dog)

Alternatively have a look under boats in the Gallery and accept my apologies for putting it in the wrong place. Can an administrator please move it to off topic!

Edited by andywatson