Work on £60,000 River Trent eel pass completed

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

A £60,000 pass that will allow eels to make their way up the River Trent has been completed.

The Canal and River Trust and partners helped build the pass to help the endangered species navigate Stoke Bardolph Weir, in Nottinghamshire.

The pass will allow the fish, which are known for making 3,000 mile (4,828 km) journeys between Bermuda and Europe, to make their way over the weir.

The trust described them as a "fascinating species".

Work on £60,000 River Trent eel pass completed - BBC News

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

I know others won't agree but I'm glad the money has been spent this way. Migration is a truly astonishing thing, whether of fish or birds, and our world will be poorer without it.

And £60,000 looks quite a modest cost. Especially when compared with the £8.5m being spent on a fish pass at Holme Sluices.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-60156313

31 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

I know others won't agree but I'm glad the money has been spent this way. Migration is a truly astonishing thing, whether of fish or birds, and our world will be poorer without it.

Totally agree they have more right to have free run than us anyway 

• Greenie 1