Coventry Basin

Roving-Roy

Featured Posts

One thing I don't completely understand is why CRT don't fit some vulcanised rubber strip where boats turn, its the same at Norton Junction. Lovely sandstone edging at Coventry basin, being mashed by boats turning and hitting the edge as often happens.

Its sad, as replacement costs would be large and unsightly. Appreciate they haven't any money, and that they don't tend to do preventative . Thus perhaps I have answered the question. Surprised the Coventry Canal society/ IWA haven't raised it, or perhaps they have. 

33 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

One thing I don't completely understand is why CRT don't fit some vulcanised rubber strip where boats turn, its the same at Norton Junction. Lovely sandstone edging at Coventry basin, being mashed by boats turning and hitting the edge as often happens.

Its sad, as replacement costs would be large and unsightly. Appreciate they haven't any money, and that they don't tend to do preventative . Thus perhaps I have answered the question. Surprised the Coventry Canal society/ IWA haven't raised it, or perhaps they have. 

If the sandstone has any heritage value then CRT might not be able to drill or cut into it? 🤷‍♀️

46 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I wondered the same with the collapsed edging between the bridges in Braunston, but then figured they’d have to shut the entire junction to dewater and repair it. So instead it gets worse and on we go.

The banking under the marina entrance bridge was repaired using a coffer dam.  This approach might also work for the double-arch bridges where the collapsing edges are a sorry sight.  Perhaps it could be done in sections, leaving half the junction open.

4 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

All the sandstone coping was replaced when the canal basin development took place - so it's only 30ish years old -  and that ridiculous swing bridge was installed, no doubt an architects whim, and doubtless at vast expense!

5 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

I wondered the same with the collapsed edging between the bridges in Braunston, but then figured they’d have to shut the entire junction to dewater and repair it. So instead it gets worse and on we go.

Im sure you are right, These pictures of the side thats still fairly decent being done in 1997 with a dam around it, from one of Peter Scotts pictures. 

These days I expect the whole pound to be drained 😉, cranes aplenty and closure for 3 months. 

L11645.jpg.a1bd01e6fdccc39f910a865b02a259bf.jpg

L11642.jpg.915859849a4ff3dd97cd619f74d9c60c.jpg

• Greenie 2

On 14/11/2022 at 16:25, Roving-Roy said:

Thinking of stopping here in June 2023.  Is it safe?  Anyone heard of any problems?  Thinking of stopping overnight or would you advise going back to Greyhound.

I thought it was only me who planned some boat trips  well in advance. I have planned a boat trip for  May 2023 .🙂

16 hours ago, archie57 said:

All the sandstone coping was replaced when the canal basin development took place - so it's only 30ish years old -  and that ridiculous swing bridge was installed, no doubt an architects whim, and doubtless at vast expense!

I'm struggling to recall a swing bridge in Coventry basin. Just where is it? Photo?

2 hours ago, IanM said:

You can see it on Google Maps in the open position.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4131755,-1.5116926,106m/data=!3m1!1e3

Ta - never noticed as whenever we have been there that bit was occupied before we arrived. Last time we were booked onto the other arm and before that the hire boats got in the way. Must remember to take a photo next time we go that way.

6 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Looking closely at a photo from 2008 I can now se it - just not realised it was a redundant swing bridge!

I don't think its redundant in that it doesn't work. I cant see it serves any useful purpose but I have in the past opened it to moor in the end. I think it got locked in the open position when the hire base was there to give more visitor mooring.

On 15/11/2022 at 16:27, Bod said:

Do you still need to book?

Bod

You only needed to book when CRT was pushing the Coventry City of Culture thing, which should really have been brought to Trading Standards attention.

The swing bridge was always closed until Valley Hire boats moves there, after that, I think it has been open ever since.