Tipton Lock (Factory Lock No3) closed for recovery work

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

On 15/11/2022 at 18:24, Puffling said:

I was there this year. In August and then again in September. Nearly all the anti-vandal paddle locks were in working order.

I think they've done some really good work on the 21 recently. I find it a pleasant enough route now and, whilst there was still the odd incident, I was a bit surprised to see the frequency and extent of the recent  vandalism. Hopefully the current idiots will quickly get bored (or caught - yeah, right!) and we'll be back to normal.

On 15/11/2022 at 19:09, David Mack said:

And how much would that cost? And just how reliable would a box of electronics be located out in all weathers, in unsupervised locations where vandalism can be a problem?

40 or 50 years ago BW discovered that while the local lock keeper or lengthsman (remember them?) could repair a conventional mechanical paddle, as soon as they installed hydraulic paddle gear the lockie or lengthsman could only report the problem and wait for a hydraulic fitter to turn up.  Electronic anti-vandal locks would create the same issue.

I said more likely. I didn't specify how much more.