Tipton Lock (Factory Lock No3) closed for recovery work

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

....possibly missing taking a child to an urgent hospital appointment.. 

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

Sorry, you lost my sympathy there. 

Possibly, but far more probably not. 

Range Rover drivers do this most days of the week, and all weekends.....even ones without kids....didnt you know that?

Edited by matty40s

37 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Range Rover drivers do this most days of the week, and all weekends.....even ones without kids....didnt you know that?

Ah yeeah, like all permanent moorers spend 100% of their time decanting boiling water from one container to another so when a speeding boat passes.....

Edited by MtB
Bloody spell checker

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

If we're talking about the usual type of anti-vandal locks, then a reversed 1/4 inch socket works fine.  In fact it was my preferrred method (on a ratchet screwdriver) when negotiating most of the HNC locks.

The BCN ones have a spring loaded locking bolt, released by a quick quarter turn of the key, push back into place to lock. Much easier and quicker than the “handcuff’ locks in the NW, which have to be unscrewed and re-screwed. Same square socket ended key though.

1 minute ago, AndrewIC said:

The BCN ones have a spring loaded locking bolt, released by a quick quarter turn of the key, push back into place to lock. Much easier and quicker than the “handcuff’ locks in the NW, which have to be unscrewed and re-screwed. Same square socket ended key though.

except lots don't just spring back and you need to depress the bolt while you operate the key to latch it

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, pearley said:

Which is why a lot get left unlocked.

But locking is not the same as unlocking.

What I find (and we came up just a few weeks back in October) is that a few do not willingly latch when locking. Given that almost all that could be locked were locked, I suspect that finding one unlocked is down to an occasional oversight or non functioning. I did not see any evidence (eg both paddles unlocked) of deliberate non-locking.

Edited by Mike Todd

14 hours ago, jonathanA said:

How uncharitable,  probably someone's pride and joy stolen and dumped,  causing them to lose their NCD, possibly missing taking a child to an urgent hospital appointment.. 

Some people....

To be fair the owner is possibly glad to see the back of a Discovery of that era.

Its likely to be inflicted with a plethora of faults ranging from DPF, turbo, EGR valve issues, leaky sun roof, sagging headline,  dodgy/leaky air suspension, non functioning electric hand brake, non functioning audio system, etc etc. 

Whoever nicked it and wrote it off has possibly done the owner a favour.

On 14/11/2022 at 14:16, Puffling said:

Considering almost every paddle on that flight is equipped with an anti-vandal lock, it seems a few of the scheming miscreants have acquired a secret anti-vandal key.

Time to imtroduce a multi-profile lock and key mechanism, with each paddle requiring its own unique key. Not too much to ask for boaters to carry a ring of keys. They could perhaps be handed out and collected at each end of the flight, subject to 48 hour advance booking 😉

We went up and down the flight in 2021 - a lot of the anti-vandal handcuff locks (pun intended) didn't work so were left open - I think I read somewhere (NarrowboatWorld?) that they have only got worse.

The night navigator of the Northern cut

On 14/11/2022 at 14:16, Puffling said:

Considering almost every paddle on that flight is equipped with an anti-vandal lock, it seems a few of the scheming miscreants have acquired a secret anti-vandal key.

Time to imtroduce a multi-profile lock and key mechanism, with each paddle requiring its own unique key. Not too much to ask for boaters to carry a ring of keys. They could perhaps be handed out and collected at each end of the flight, subject to 48 hour advance booking 😉

I suspect getting the anti-vandal locks computerised would be more likely. Every one with a smart phone would be able to unlock them but there would be an audit trail.

(With apologies to those who value their privacy and also those who don't want a smart phone for another reason).

29 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I suspect getting the anti-vandal locks computerised would be more likely. Every one with a smart phone would be able to unlock them but there would be an audit trail.

(With apologies to those who value their privacy and also those who don't want a smart phone for another reason).

If you drop your key in the cut while working a lock its a fiver down the drain, some phones that would be nearer a grand

38 minutes ago, midnight cowboy said:

We went up and down the flight in 2021 - a lot of the anti-vandal handcuff locks (pun intended) didn't work so were left open - I think I read somewhere (NarrowboatWorld?) that they have only got worse.

I was there this year. In August and then again in September. Nearly all the anti-vandal paddle locks were in working order.

Lots of the BCN anti-vandal gear is in poor condition. Spon Lane bottom lock has one defunct paddle and one where the anti-vandal lock binds very heavily. It's one of a number where a whack or ten on the end of the bar is necessary to get it clear of the rack.

On those that don't re-engage it sometimes works to hold the bar in the locked position, re-insert the key and twist the lock, and maybe also the bar.

37 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you drop your key in the cut while working a lock its a fiver down the drain, some phones that would be nearer a grand

How much do you suppose unique mechanical keys for each paddle would cost?

Some phones could well be over £1k but you'd tend to be quite careful I think. The top of the range iPhone is £1750. By comparison the most expensive Samsung is a bargain at £1150.

There are clearly people around to whom that is affordable.

17 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Lots of the BCN anti-vandal gear is in poor condition. Spon Lane bottom lock has one defunct paddle and one where the anti-vandal lock binds very heavily. It's one of a number where a whack or ten on the end of the bar is necessary to get it clear of the rack.

On those that don't re-engage it sometimes works to hold the bar in the locked position, re-insert the key and twist the lock, and maybe also the bar.

How long should one stay and faff with the key? 
Unless I can’t reset it (if I can I can open it in first place) after a couple of tries then I’m afraid I’m off. 
Having to learn the idiosyncrasies of each anti vandal lock is a tad too far.

The worn components must be so easy to swop for new, surely the CRT vans would carry them as normal practise.  

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

I suspect getting the anti-vandal locks computerised would be more likely.

And how much would that cost? And just how reliable would a box of electronics be located out in all weathers, in unsupervised locations where vandalism can be a problem?

40 or 50 years ago BW discovered that while the local lock keeper or lengthsman (remember them?) could repair a conventional mechanical paddle, as soon as they installed hydraulic paddle gear the lockie or lengthsman could only report the problem and wait for a hydraulic fitter to turn up.  Electronic anti-vandal locks would create the same issue.

Edited by David Mack

49 minutes ago, Goliath said:

How long should one stay and faff with the key? 
Unless I can’t reset it (if I can I can open it in first place) after a couple of tries then I’m afraid I’m off. 
Having to learn the idiosyncrasies of each anti vandal lock is a tad too far.

The worn components must be so easy to swop for new, surely the CRT vans would carry them as normal practise.  

As long as it takes to get it back to the same configuration in which you found it, as a minimum.

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

I still feel very  sorry for the owner who’s car was stolen. They may well have needed it  as a fairly cheap towing vehicle for business or hobby.

There’s a lot of small holdings or niche hobbiest’s or car dealers/ enthusiasts  in rural Staffordshire and beyond for whom this is an ideal car. You only need look at the cost of most second hand trailers or car transporters to appreciate the demand. Ok it’s not the most perfect car but that makes them cheaper 😂 

I suspect this is going to be a more common occurrence as dumping  a stolen car in water washes out all traces of DNA.  It’s likely  that’s what’s happened here. 

Someone I knew had their car nicked for a gun crime that he feared was a murder and it took them years to come to terms with it. Car was burnt out afterwards. 

• Greenie 1