Tipton Lock (Factory Lock No3) closed for recovery work

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

The Range Rover was found in the canal lock

A Range Rover has mysteriously appeared in a Black Country canal. The luxury motor was pictured submerged in a lock in Tipton.

The discovery has led to the closure of the Factory Lock No 3 on the New Main Line Canal. Canal and River Trust West Midlands said it is working on a plan to remove the vehicle.

A spokesman tweeted: "Factory Lock No 3 on the New Main Line Canal in Tipton is closed as a car is in the lock. We're working on a plan to get this removed as quickly as possible. There are no signs of pollution yet but we will continue to monitor."

Woverhampton Locks Vandalised !!

The trust also revealed the locks at Wolverhampton had been vandalised over the weekend. It said the locks had been drained, causing flooding on Coxwell Road, outside Wolverhampton Science Park.

" We're working with the local police to step up patrols," the trust tweeted. "We are currently refilling the locks but this is likely to take most of the day."

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Woverhampton Locks Vandalised !!

The trust also revealed the locks at Wolverhampton had been vandalised over the weekend. It said the locks had been drained, causing flooding on Coxwell Road, outside Wolverhampton Science Park.

" We're working with the local police to step up patrols," the trust tweeted. "We are currently refilling the locks but this is likely to take most of the day."

Considering almost every paddle on that flight is equipped with an anti-vandal lock, it seems a few of the scheming miscreants have acquired a secret anti-vandal key.

Time to imtroduce a multi-profile lock and key mechanism, with each paddle requiring its own unique key. Not too much to ask for boaters to carry a ring of keys. They could perhaps be handed out and collected at each end of the flight, subject to 48 hour advance booking 😉

Edited by Puffling

1 hour ago, Puffling said:

Considering almost every paddle on that flight is equipped with an anti-vandal lock, it seems a few of the scheming miscreants have acquired a secret anti-vandal key.

A couple of years ago I met a boater coming down who didn't have a key, he had got  half way just using long nose pliers, he was dead chuffed when I gave him a key for the rest.

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A couple of years ago I met a boater coming down who didn't have a key, he had got  half way just using long nose pliers, he was dead chuffed when I gave him a key for the rest.

Did that on the Thames with an adjustable spanner.

OK who's going to be first to Blame C&RT.

1 hour ago, Puffling said:

Considering almost every paddle on that flight is equipped with an anti-vandal lock

Is that still the case now? And are they usually locked? Haven't been that way for a while, but most of the other BCN flights I've done recently have lost their anti-vandal locks, and the few remaining ones either don't work, or are not locked by boaters. Certainly very few locks now seem to have a full working set at both top and bottom. 

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Three or four years ago I boated through Factory 3 and Wolverhampton 21 with only a cheap Ebay handcuff key which turned out to have an oversize hole in the end. On many of the paddles this just spun round without rotating the locking screw. But by a combination of unlocked paddles, paddles with a broken or no lock, or locks that were in my favour on arrival, I still managed to get through both flights. But I stopped off at Midland Chandlers at Penkridge (still open then) to buy a couple of decent keys for the next trip.

2 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

Is that still the case now? And are they usually locked? Haven't been that way for a while, but most of the other BCN flights I've done recently have lost their anti-vandal locks, and the few remaining ones either don't work, or are not locked by boaters. Certainly very few locks now seem to have a full working set at both top and bottom. 

I am fairly sure they were all working in October when we came up the flight.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Probably  on the school run coffee in hand, phone in the other ,cig going shouting at children  looked at the sat nav and thought blue line was a short cut . Still another unnecessary lump gone. Shame crt have clear up.

How uncharitable,  probably someone's pride and joy stolen and dumped,  causing them to lose their NCD, possibly missing taking a child to an urgent hospital appointment.. 

Some people....

Edited by jonathanA