URGENT! Oxford Canal closure at Cropredy NOW?

bpboat

Featured Posts

Can someone help please? I'm looking at CRT stoppages page and it says the whole stretch from Claydon lock south to beyond Hardwick Lock is closed now from 7th Nov to 16th Dec.   Surely this isn't right? 

Does anyone know please? Many thanks

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, bpboat said:

Can someone help please? I'm looking at CRT stoppages page and it says the whole stretch from Claydon lock south to beyond Hardwick Lock is closed now from 7th Nov to 16th Dec.   Surely this isn't right? 

Does anyone know please? Many thanks

If I recall correctly long closures affecting Clayden to at least Cropredy have long been published. Broadmoor is due a gate change and ground paddle work and de -watering above Varney's for work on a bridge. Maybe other things as well. Suspect / fear the dates you've seen are correct.

7 minutes ago, Slim said:

If I recall correctly long closures affecting Clayden to at least Cropredy have long been published. Broadmoor is due a gate change and ground paddle work and de -watering above Varney's for work on a bridge. Maybe other things as well. Suspect / fear the dates you've seen are correct.

There's lots of stoppages and as a route south from Napton it's effectively closed but there is no work listed in the notices south of Cropredy until nearly in Oxford (Wolvercote) so it's puzzling why CRT seem to think you can't move immediately south of Cropredy.

We just want to go south from Cropredy.  

I think there must be a mistake on the map and the closures are just at Claydon lock and Broadmore Lock,  but open south of that. I hope so anyway...

I'll get in touch with CRT and tell them to revise the map! 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Does it particularly matter if it's the whole stretch closed or just a single lock? 

Yes it matters a lot as we're at Cropredy and if it's all closed then we can't move till Dec 16th!

11 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Hardwick is shown on the winter stoppages 28/11/22

This is what the mix up with the broadmoor stoppage probably is.

Screenshot_20221111-202351_Drive.jpg

That explains it.

The canal may be open presently south of Cropredy but it won't be from 28/11 until 16/12.

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

That explains it.

The canal may be open presently south of Cropredy but it won't be from 28/11 until 16/12.

Yes I think that's right.  I'll find out tomorrow and will post the answer on here. I'll also contact CRT to ask them to change the map! Many thanks everyone! 

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

That explains it.

Id put money on it. Same finish date so some bright spark has joined the dots.😀

Mind you there is a reason why I dont gamble..

7 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Id put money on it. Same finish date so some bright spark has joined the dots.😀

Mind you there is a reason why I dont gamble..

It makes more sense to show the worst case length of the stoppage rather than publish two different stoppage notices for one item of work at Broadmoor. Although I doubt it would be that hard to explain that the effective stoppage increases in length part way through the stoppage.

That is of course assuming it is presently open between Cropredy and Hardwick.

Good luck @bpboat

Edited by Captain Pegg

It may well be a matter of water supply.  Once any lock or bridge is closed and dewatered south of the summit there is no feed beyond that point, so  lockage runs the risk of emptying more pounds, and perhaps a marina?

N

25 minutes ago, bpboat said:

Well the canal is indeed open at Cropredy so the map and info on stoppages page is just wrong! As someone suggested, they've combined two separate stoppages onto one big long one.   I've contacted CRT about it. 

Thats great news for you! 

CRT are usually pretty good at letting you know when stoppages have been extended for whatever reason and pretty bad at getting the locations right sometimes..