Pub ordered to shut 'noisy' canal-side drinking area early

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Had the same at Crosland Moor airfield Huddersfield which has been there since 1948, and most of the houses are much younger.

Approach path and climb out has been altered several times but still complaints.

Perhaps the people who move into this area are not made aware of the airfield by their solicitor.

Its odd that they’re bothered by the occasional noise from Huddersfield International Airport, but not the constant noise from the working quarry next to it.

32 minutes ago, MtB said:

Quite possibly. I read about it on an internet forum where loads of people make up bullshit. Maybe I should have a look through your old posts. 

Or just provide some sort of link to support what you said.?.

It seems unlikely that such a story wouldnt attract a lot of media attention.?

15 hours ago, M_JG said:

Or just provide some sort of link to support what you said.?.

It seems unlikely that such a story wouldnt attract a lot of media attention.?

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/neighbours-fury-pubs-loud-music-7714868

There's no real reason why bands should be playing in a residential area after 11pm. Two 40 minute sets starting at 9.15 is quite enough leaving room for conversation afterwards. We used to wind up doing three sets as we got bored stiing around for an hour between playing.

PAs have got huge now, and both bands and audiences have been conditioned to equate volume with quality. I'm not sure anyone has ever asked the punters what they really want - it's like background music in restaurants, no-one likes it, no-one ever asks the staff to turn it up, but we just get lumbered with it.

• Greenie 1

On 12/11/2022 at 04:11, The Bearwood Boster said:

When we lived in Bearwood,there was a snooker hall in the old theatre at the top of the road-no noise for many years.Our 80 + neighbour who'd lived there from birth didn't remember late night noise during its time as a theatre,roller rink,ice rink or disco.Then all of a sudden we had live music Thurs,Frid & Sat nights.We didn't mind at first & even went a fair few times.Then the sound ramped up so much you couldn't get away from it.So bad that you could feel the vibrations in every room,It also went on to the early hours.It got to the stage I hated weekends.When we sold the house,we told the buyers & they weren't bothered Where we live now is really quiet,just right for old farts like us.😊

Ah, but hubby Bearwood likes telling others to slow down does he not?  Then he is a Boster!

If the pub is playing loud music late at night, it doesn't matter who was there first. A nuisance is a nuisance is a nuisance, but as I've said elsewhere, it is not explicitly defined in law.  

However, in common law a 'nuisance' can be defined as a matter which is an unreasonable and substantial interference on the use and enjoyment of a person's property. 

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

If the pub is playing loud music late at night, it doesn't matter who was there first. A nuisance is a nuisance is a nuisance, but as I've said elsewhere, it is not explicitly defined in law.  

However, in common law a 'nuisance' can be defined as a matter which is an unreasonable and substantial interference on the use and enjoyment of a person's property. 

The Crown Wharf does not play loud music late at night, or any other music late at night for that matter. Most complaints were about the noise of mass conversation, with some poor soul complaining of a choir practice, which in the summer months can be heard, and is quite delightful. They're a bit good.

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Quite a way away and below deep-ish Yard Lock so shielded by the geography and I'm unaware that there has been any complaint from there.

Any valid complaints have been from dwellings in Trent Court (the old hospital buildings). 

The pub has two elevations to the canal, one facing Canal Cruising's yard and their small basin, and Trent Court, and the other set at a different angle against the canal proper and where, when here, my mooring.

There is a quite tasteful 3 storey residential development of flats and housing behind the towpath hedge and therefore behind me. They would suffer no worse than me if there was a real problem. But there really isn't, but I suspect this is where many of the moaners reside.

Shame

Folks complain about everything these days . Its every man for himself (and  every other gender also for themselves)

I blame the media  who thrive on it 

Eg they complained about Liz reducing tax and now they complain  Rishi is increasing tax .