Pub ordered to shut 'noisy' canal-side drinking area early

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

A town centre pub has been ordered to close its canal-side drinking area earlier at night - after neighbours complained about noise. The Crown Wharf brewery tap in Stone was opened by Joule's in July 2021 and has won national awards for its design.

The opening of the pub marked a major return to the traditional home town of Joule's Brewery, which is now based in Market Drayton. A community theatre and heritage centre are also due to open as part of the transformation of Crown Wharf.

Pub ordered to shut 'noisy' canal-side drinking area early - Stoke-on-Trent Live (stokesentinel.co.uk)

3 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

I hope (but am not optimistic) that anyone who bought post July 2021 is told "you bought a home next to a pub, what do you expect?"

I'm pretty sure that if you,  or me, lived next to a noisy pub you wouldn't be happy about it either. I have frequented pubs all my life on and off and none have been so noisy that neighbours have had to complain about the noise. It's drunken rabble that cannot hold their ale that causes problems and these people should be banned outright for ever.

Isnt this a bit like buying a house in a country village and then complaining about the sound of church bells or the smell created when farmers spread muck on the nearby fields?

1 minute ago, M_JG said:

Isnt this a bit like buying a house in a country village and then complaining about the sound of church bells or the smell created when farmers spread muck on the nearby fields?

In this case possibly not as the pub & wharf complex is a complete new build. It is however the same council that granted planning permission in the first place….

• Greenie 3

Had the same at Crosland Moor airfield Huddersfield which has been there since 1948, and most of the houses are much younger.

Approach path and climb out has been altered several times but still complaints.

Perhaps the people who move into this area are not made aware of the airfield by their solicitor.

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

In this case possibly not as the pub & wharf complex is a complete new build. It is however the same council that granted planning permission in the first place….

If correct yes that is different.

There was a similar issue when Spoons converted a registry office into a pub in a local town. The design featured quite a large front outside terrace and a large number of objections centred around that. In the end though its transpired not to be a problem.

7 minutes ago, M_JG said:

No, because it's only been open since 2021. When I started playing in pubs all music had to finish by 11pm and there were few complaints from neighbours. Now it goes on till after midnight, later at weekends, and PA systems are twice the size, and there are complaints, not surprisingly. And it appears to be long standing residents complaining, not newbies.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, M_JG said:

If correct yes that is different.

There was a similar issue when Spoons converted a registry office into a pub in a local town. The design featured quite a large front outside terrace and a large number of objections centred around that. In the end though its transpired not to be a problem.

It is correct….maybe read the article in the link if you doubt me…..🙄🙄

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

Plus, it's huge indoors and it seems to be just the outside terrace that's the issue, rather than the pub per se. It's not compulsory to be a noisy git whilst you sit outside enjoying a drink, so if the pub can't encourage their clientele who sit outside to keep the noise down to a dull roar or move indoors, it seems pretty reasonable that the council step in.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

It is correct….maybe read the article in the link if you doubt me…..🙄🙄

I simply couldnt get the whole article to load on my tablet due to all the click bait and banner ads.which are so often a feature of local rag web sites.

The worst (best?!) example I ever encountered was the RAF flying instructor who bought a house near the airfield so he could be near work for convenience.

Then a few years later when he retired, he started a campaign to have flying there stopped due to the noise nuisance! 

I think it's a bit of a stretch to call them neighbours given that they are on the opposite bank of the canal and some way back from it. 

According to the article noise in excess of 70 decibels has been recorded. It must be deafening if you are actually on the pub premises. The place has been popular since it opened to the detriment of the other watering holes in the town. 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

The worst (best?!) example I ever encountered was the RAF flying instructor who bought a house near the airfield so he could be near work for convenience.

Then a few years later when he retired, he started a campaign to have flying there stopped due to the noise nuisance! 

That sounds like made up bullshit to me.

I've been in a few pubs where there are notices that the outside drinking area closes at 9pm or 10 pm, so this isn't that unusual.

2 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Perhaps the people who move into this area are not made aware of the airfield by their solicitor.

And perhaps the same people don't have eyes and ears to see for themselves! If people are moving into a new area they really ought to do their own research. I certainly wouldn't rely on a solicitor to pick up something like this.

• Greenie 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Its probably from the gated retirement homes nearby

You mean the ones that would rather boats didn't moor up near them....and glare at you out of the window as you dare pass them...I often turn the speedweel a few turns just to make a point!

47 minutes ago, frangar said:

...and glare at you out of the window as you dare pass them...I often turn the speedweel a few turns just to make a point!

I'd imagine folk stuck in a gated retirement block who spend their day looking out of the window might find very little to put a smile on their face hence could easily look glum or appear to be glaring. Have you tried a big smile and cheery wave?  Whilst I wouldn't claim it to be a universal truth, I find it brings a smile and a wave from most folk who appear to be staring. And if it doesn't, well, it isn't you that's being the grumpy old git, is it! :D

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I'd imagine folk stuck in a gated retirement block who spend their day looking out of the window might find very little to put a smile on their face hence could easily look glum or appear to be glaring. Have you tried a big smile and cheery wave?  Whilst I wouldn't claim it to be a universal truth, I find it brings a smile and a wave from most folk who appear to be staring. And if it doesn't, well, it isn't you that's being the grumpy old git, is it! :D

I have had a wave from some of them

When we lived in Bearwood,there was a snooker hall in the old theatre at the top of the road-no noise for many years.Our 80 + neighbour who'd lived there from birth didn't remember late night noise during its time as a theatre,roller rink,ice rink or disco.Then all of a sudden we had live music Thurs,Frid & Sat nights.We didn't mind at first & even went a fair few times.Then the sound ramped up so much you couldn't get away from it.So bad that you could feel the vibrations in every room,It also went on to the early hours.It got to the stage I hated weekends.When we sold the house,we told the buyers & they weren't bothered Where we live now is really quiet,just right for old farts like us.😊